Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  (Read 13984 times)

Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
too many elements were ridiculously predictable.  I have been catching up on the show.  Made this post on Reddit the other day ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BoardwalkEmpire/comments/myhah/catching_up_on_boardwalk_empire_this_was_annoying/

And then yesterday in the comments I backed up my viewpoint by saying:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BoardwalkEmpire/comments/myhah/catching_up_on_boardwalk_empire_this_was_annoying/c34zx4x

I felt vindicated after watching episode 11 tonight.  Holy Oedipus complex, batman!
what a crazy finale.  Apparently season 3 is going to jump like 18 months well into prohibition when the stock piles start to run out and the gangster action really started to pick up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This is my fav show as well.  The whole idea behind it is just awesome!  I also love the fact that they have "real" characters ie Lucky Luciano and Al Capone.  I don't know much about Al Capone, but was he really as much of a goof as the character in BE?  Steve Buschemi does a great job as Nucky Thompson.
I get the impression that the depictions of Capone and Luciano are fairly accurate.  Remember they are like 22 in 1920 and didn't become the bosses until later on in life.  Luciano was Rothstein's right hand man and Capone was Torrio's right hand man for a long time.  Towards the end of the 20's Torrio retired, moved to Europe, and left Capone in charge after a very bloody gang war with the north siders.  Torrio only came back to the U.S. for Capone's trial in the 30's and at that time met with Luciano and got Luciano to unite the "five families" and form the national crime syndicate.  Torrio died of a heart attack in the 50's so he was one of the few that survived the gangster life and actually avoided prison (except for 1 year of prohibition related time - he actually set up a meeting with a rival and then called the Feds because he had a clean record and his rival didn't so the rival received significantly more time and thus Torrio eliminated a rival without killing him and without igniting another war).

Holy crap, you know a lot about the mafia history. Were you in the mob by any chance? Are you still?

And yes, I do think this is one of the best shows on TV right now.

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This is my fav show as well.  The whole idea behind it is just awesome!  I also love the fact that they have "real" characters ie Lucky Luciano and Al Capone.  I don't know much about Al Capone, but was he really as much of a goof as the character in BE?  Steve Buschemi does a great job as Nucky Thompson.
I get the impression that the depictions of Capone and Luciano are fairly accurate.  Remember they are like 22 in 1920 and didn't become the bosses until later on in life.  Luciano was Rothstein's right hand man and Capone was Torrio's right hand man for a long time.  Towards the end of the 20's Torrio retired, moved to Europe, and left Capone in charge after a very bloody gang war with the north siders.  Torrio only came back to the U.S. for Capone's trial in the 30's and at that time met with Luciano and got Luciano to unite the "five families" and form the national crime syndicate.  Torrio died of a heart attack in the 50's so he was one of the few that survived the gangster life and actually avoided prison (except for 1 year of prohibition related time - he actually set up a meeting with a rival and then called the Feds because he had a clean record and his rival didn't so the rival received significantly more time and thus Torrio eliminated a rival without killing him and without igniting another war).

Holy crap, you know a lot about the mafia history. Were you in the mob by any chance? Are you still?

And yes, I do think this is one of the best shows on TV right now.
Actually, my cousin (much much older) married Joseph Bonanno's ("Joey Bananas") younger relative, so my grandparents were always around mob figures back in the 50's.  I suppose that is where my fascination developed.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:22:23 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
SPOILERS.

Just finished the second season and i gotta say, the only reason i'll be coming back for next season is because there will be nothing else on TV (Breaking Bad will be off air by then). I don't even know how far i'll make it in to season 3. The show can get a bit stale at times and waiting one whole week for an episode and not really having it deliver rather than watching them back to back will probably frustarte me unless it gets really good. And i don't see how it will get better with the most interesting character (in my opinion) getting killed off. I really don't like the direction the writers took with Jimmy, it's kind of like they were giving up on him just like he was giving up. I wish they would have given him something to fight for. I get the whole tragic soldier angle but it was way too early in the series to kill off such an important character.

I also can not stand Margaret Shroeder. I probably hate her more than Kate from LOST and Skyler from Breaking Bad Combined. Don't know how much more of her i can stand.

Don't get me wrong-BE is still better than 98% of shows on TV but the last 3 episodes of the 2nd season really soured the series for me.

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Not really digging the new season all that much.  The new gangster isn't likeable at all and I don't really like Nucky as much as I used to.  Still a very good show, but I don't look forward to it every week nearly as much as I used to. 

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Me neither....will hang in there....the new character Bobby C......
was a big star the first few seasons on Third Watch a few years back

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm in utter shock that BE hasn't been discussed more frequently here. This is the best show on television right now. I was luke warm on the direction (read me 3 posts down) of the series coming in to the 3rd season but i've thoroughly enjoyed every episode this season. The writers have done a great job at taking minor characters from seasons 1 and 2, giving them a bigger role and keeping their story lines enticing.

My favorite character was killed off and the show is still great. Don't know how many shows in history you could say that about.

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I enjoyed the first two seasons, but I definitely felt like something was missing from it.  It's a show that should be better than it is, I think.  I listened to a Grantland podcast where they essentially said the same thing... something was missing.  They suggested the fact that it was a period piece with recognizable characters might be what holds it back.  It really limits how much they can really do with it when compared to a entirely original show.  It's still fun to see that era done so well, though. 

It also suffered a bit from being predictable.  Not just the fact that you know what's going to happen with certain real life characters... but the fact that certain things are telegraphed.  You knew Misses Schroeder was going to hook up with the Irish kid within seconds of them meeting.  Jimmy and his Mom was pretty predictable too. 

As far as it being the best show on TV... I'd have to disagree.  I think I'd go with a handful of shows over it.  "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "Game of Thrones"... as of late I'm really enjoying "Homeland". 

Sadly, I haven't watched a single episode of season 3.  I think with the climax of Season 2 and one of the main characters getting offed, I've lost a little interest.  It's a shame, because that character was one of the only entirely fictional people on the show... which meant they had freedom to do whatever they wanted with him (within the limitations of that world).  I imagine at some point I will blast through the episodes on DVR, but as of right now I just can't get myself excited to watch it.

For what it's worth... the last time this happened to me (solid show that I enjoyed, but i inexplicably lost interest in) was "Deadwood".  At some point I just stopped watching Deadwood.  I think I got through the first two seasons and then just lost interest despite the fact it was really good.  I feel like this show has some things in common with Deadwood.   This shouldn't be confused with bailing on a show intentionally, though.  For instance, I got suckered by hype and peer pressure into watching two seasons of "Heroes"... recognized that it was garbage and jumped ship.  "Boardwalk Empire" is good.. I've just been avoiding season 3. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:49:34 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I enjoyed the first two seasons, but I definitely felt like something was missing from it.  It's a show that should be better than it is, I think.  I listened to a Grantland podcast where they essentially said the same thing... something was missing.  They suggested the fact that it was a period piece with recognizable characters might be what holds it back.  It really limits how much they can really do with it when compared to a entirely original show.  It's still fun to see that era done so well, though. 

It also suffered a bit from being predictable.  Not just the fact that you know what's going to happen with certain real life characters... but the fact that certain things are telegraphed.  You knew Misses Schroeder was going to hook up with the Irish kid within seconds of them meeting.  Jimmy and his Mom was pretty predictable too. 

As far as it being the best show on TV... I'd have to disagree.  I think I'd go with a handful of shows over it.  "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "Game of Thrones"... as of late I'm really enjoying "Homeland". 

Sadly, I haven't watched a single episode of season 3.  I think with the climax of Season 2 and one of the main characters getting offed, I've lost a little interest.  It's a shame, because that character was one of the only entirely fictional people on the show... which meant they had freedom to do whatever they wanted with him (within the limitations of that world).  I imagine at some point I will blast through the episodes on DVR, but as of right now I just can't get myself excited to watch it.   
Ditto -- the show's characters just aren't interesting enough / likable / compelling enough. Jimmy was the only one and now he is gone.  Slow story lines many of which you can see coming way in advance.

Lost interest in it early in season 3. I'll probably catch up on the episodes at some point later in the season but I thought it was struggling.

Great idea but not a great show.

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Ditto -- the show's characters just aren't interesting enough / likable / compelling enough. Jimmy was the only one and now he is gone.  Slow story lines many of which you can see coming way in advance.

Lost interest in it early in season 3. I'll probably catch up on the episodes at some point later in the season but I thought it was struggling.

Great idea but not a great show.

I think you nailed it for me too. I loved season one, still enjoyed season 2 but not as much. It was always like I was really really looking forward to Sunday nights and then while watching not enough would happen. I would always examine possibilities for the story lines to go great places and then they just wouldnt go there. While watching I was often bored or confused with most of the story lines, but when there were great scenes they were beyond enjoyable. I think it would be the best show ever if they cut it down to thirty minutes of the awesomeness and left out most of the drawn out plots.

Spoiler for some:

When Jimmy was offed at the end of season two I was so beyond disappointed. He was by far the best character on the show and to kill him off was a complete shock in the wrong direction for me. I watched the first episode of this season and it just didnt do it for me. Unfortunately BE has lost me.

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The last couple of episodes have picked it up a bit and have set up the final 3 of the season to be pretty solid.  The first few of the seasons seemed to be a lack of Jimmy hangover, but they have gotten out of it a bit of late.  Still too much of Jimmy's mom and not enough Capone, but overall the third season has gotten better as it has gone on.

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Liked how season 3 ended up. Interested to see the next season. Not best show on television, but definitely "i'll watch it at some point during the week material"

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »

Offline Caribbean

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I just got into this show. I'm midway through the first season, and I'm really digging it so far. The plan is to catch up by the Season 3

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The last couple of episodes have picked it up a bit and have set up the final 3 of the season to be pretty solid.  The first few of the seasons seemed to be a lack of Jimmy hangover, but they have gotten out of it a bit of late.  Still too much of Jimmy's mom and not enough Capone, but overall the third season has gotten better as it has gone on.

Earlier I had posted how I lost interest in the show. I ended up watching the last two episodes of the season and I really enjoyed them. I am still not completely sure why I wasn't digging the first couple episodes. I think like you said I missed Jimmy and thought Capone should have way more screen time, he is one of the shows better actors/characters.

However the last two episodes were classic Boardwalk episodes. I really enjoyed the finale, wont spoil it for anyone.

I still think it should be a 30 minute show. I feel that some of the story lines drag on far too long in some episodes. Some drawn out scenes get a little boring for me, while other scenes deserve a bit more time.

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Earlier I had posted how I lost interest in the show. I ended up watching the last two episodes of the season and I really enjoyed them. I am still not completely sure why I wasn't digging the first couple episodes. I think like you said I missed Jimmy and thought Capone should have way more screen time, he is one of the shows better actors/characters.

However the last two episodes were classic Boardwalk episodes. I really enjoyed the finale, wont spoil it for anyone.

I still think it should be a 30 minute show. I feel that some of the story lines drag on far too long in some episodes. Some drawn out scenes get a little boring for me, while other scenes deserve a bit more time.
I think the show has a problem of trying to balance real people with fake people with those in the middle.  It wants to remain historically accurate, but it is hard to do that when you have made up people at the center of the show, which is why I think they offed Jimmy.  They could get away with him for a couple of seasons, but since he isn't real they couldn't keep him around forever.  They also don't want to go full bore into the real figures that have been done a thousand times because they want to keep a lot of the action historically accurate but essentially made up, thus the show will never focus on the gangsters we all know like Capone, Luciano, Lansky, Rothstein, and Torrio.  So it has to be centered on Nucky Thompson who is the fictionalized version of Nucky Johnson, and that will probably be the show's downfall because Nucky just isn't all that likeable as a person and Buscemi isn't exactly the ideal actor to carry the show in that role (he doesn't have the natural charisma to pull off that character). 

They are apparently doing another time jump for season 4, which will take place around the time the liquor stores start drying up and the real gangster era of the 20's goes into full bore.  I'm not sure how much longer they can go on with the show without shifting focus to Capone and Luciano and I'm not sure they want to make that show.