Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  (Read 14004 times)

Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Definitely my favorite show on TV.  My list:

1 Boardwalk Empire
2 Mad Men
3 Breaking Bad
4 Big Bang Theory

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
HBO picked it up for season 2 immediately after the premiere episode, which pulled in like 4.5 million (I think it was the largest premiere for a HBO show in like 7 years). 

It is the best show on tv right now as far as I'm concerned.  Show is absolutely great.  Everything about it is awesome and last night's episode really advanced the plot.  The preview for next week looks even better. 

And that is clearly Jimmy's mom, though they have an odd relationship.  Probably a result of her being young when he was born and then working in a burlesque show.  She is in her late 30's or maybe early 40's and based on Jimmy's life he is supposed to be 23 or 24 (2 years at Princeton and 3 in the war).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
It really is an amazing show, I'm hooked. I just wasn't sure if there was going to be another season. Glad to here there will be.

HBO picked it up for season 2 immediately after the premiere episode, which pulled in like 4.5 million (I think it was the largest premiere for a HBO show in like 7 years). 

It is the best show on tv right now as far as I'm concerned.  Show is absolutely great.  Everything about it is awesome and last night's episode really advanced the plot.  The preview for next week looks even better. 

And that is clearly Jimmy's mom, though they have an odd relationship.  Probably a result of her being young when he was born and then working in a burlesque show.  She is in her late 30's or maybe early 40's and based on Jimmy's life he is supposed to be 23 or 24 (2 years at Princeton and 3 in the war).
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
SO far I think the show is on pace to be close to as good as that Saprano's was. I love this show either way!!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
This is my fav show as well.  The whole idea behind it is just awesome!  I also love the fact that they have "real" characters ie Lucky Luciano and Al Capone.  I don't know much about Al Capone, but was he really as much of a goof as the character in BE?  Steve Buschemi does a great job as Nucky Thompson.
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
Another great episode tonight. Can't wait to see the finale.

PS Van Alden is absolutely psycho.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 03:08:33 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Another great episode tonight. Can't wait to see the finale.

PS Van Alden is absolutely psycho.

That guy gives me the creeps perfect casting for that character.

If that guy is not like that in real life then he deserves an Emmy.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 08:33:36 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
This is my fav show as well.  The whole idea behind it is just awesome!  I also love the fact that they have "real" characters ie Lucky Luciano and Al Capone.  I don't know much about Al Capone, but was he really as much of a goof as the character in BE?  Steve Buschemi does a great job as Nucky Thompson.

Also a fan of this show and the last few episodes things have really picked up.  I did think the first half of the season dragged a bit and had too many scenes that were Godfather ripoffs (and not executed -no pun intended- nearly as well).  But now that the main storyline has come into focus the show have been excellent.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Had to miss last night, but will watch the episode on demand....in my college days, we were hooked on the Untouchables..this is a modern version of it with alot more sex

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This is my fav show as well.  The whole idea behind it is just awesome!  I also love the fact that they have "real" characters ie Lucky Luciano and Al Capone.  I don't know much about Al Capone, but was he really as much of a goof as the character in BE?  Steve Buschemi does a great job as Nucky Thompson.
I get the impression that the depictions of Capone and Luciano are fairly accurate.  Remember they are like 22 in 1920 and didn't become the bosses until later on in life.  Luciano was Rothstein's right hand man and Capone was Torrio's right hand man for a long time.  Towards the end of the 20's Torrio retired, moved to Europe, and left Capone in charge after a very bloody gang war with the north siders.  Torrio only came back to the U.S. for Capone's trial in the 30's and at that time met with Luciano and got Luciano to unite the "five families" and form the national crime syndicate.  Torrio died of a heart attack in the 50's so he was one of the few that survived the gangster life and actually avoided prison (except for 1 year of prohibition related time - he actually set up a meeting with a rival and then called the Feds because he had a clean record and his rival didn't so the rival received significantly more time and thus Torrio eliminated a rival without killing him and without igniting another war).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:57:34 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont know what I am going to do after next Sunday. this show has got me completely hooked. Pitt playing Jimmy has been incredible, and I can not stand the stupid FBI agent. I say hands down the best drama on TV this season, and in a while for that matter.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Anybody else totally loving the second season.  Every bit as good as season 1 if not better.  I was very sad and totally shocked by the end of last weeks episode. 

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
Did anyone watch tonight's episode? Probably the best so far...

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Very confusing with either the flashbacks and/or dreams

But a great show

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
too many elements were ridiculously predictable.  I have been catching up on the show.  Made this post on Reddit the other day ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BoardwalkEmpire/comments/myhah/catching_up_on_boardwalk_empire_this_was_annoying/

And then yesterday in the comments I backed up my viewpoint by saying:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BoardwalkEmpire/comments/myhah/catching_up_on_boardwalk_empire_this_was_annoying/c34zx4x

I felt vindicated after watching episode 11 tonight.  Holy Oedipus complex, batman!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:04:20 AM by LarBrd33 »