Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  (Read 14030 times)

Boardwalk Empire
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this show yet because it's quite possibly the best on TV already.

Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:51:21 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Best...I wouldn't say that.

I do like the show though.  Good writing and acting, great cast.  It has slowed down since the 1st 2 episodes.

I like character development...but the pace needs to pick up.

Looks like next weeks show will start something good.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
I agree with assassin. Definitely not the best show on television.  The best show on television airs 30 minutes after Boardwalk and its Eastbound and Down.  Boardwalk has definitely slowed down since the first 2 episodes and its been downright boring for the past 2. Last nights was a step in the right direction but they really need to pick up the pace or theyre gonna lose me and many other people who feel the same way.
The NBA..where "this whole sport is a business and the referees decide games and David Stern is a snake and is only in this for the money" happens.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
I have to add the last 3 to 4 (last one, last night was kinda slow but very good pacing and nice advancing of the story line) episodes have been nothing short of fantastic.

Really liking the show now.  8)
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Yes the show has really picked up and I am loving it. Great writing...and good acting.

I wasnt so sure if Buschemi could pull off a gangster, but he has been brilliant. His quirkiness is exactly what that role needs.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
very very very good show

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Haven't seen it yet but have heard that Michael K. Williams is involved.

And if it's good enough for Omar, it's probably good enough for me.  Oh, indeed.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:19:12 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah, it's my favorite show too.  HBO puts out a lot of quality shows, and with Scorsese involved, I expected it to be excellent, and it is, so far.  Character development has been very good, particularly Nucky and Jimmy, but also Jimmy's mom, and his bi-girlfriend, and Margaret Schroeder, and that bizarre (self-flaggelating) federal agent, too.

Eastbound and Down is okay, too.  Not near as good as Boardwalk Empire for me, but my son likes it better.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
This is a great show, great acting, great everything.

I have a question though... In the previews for next week's episode it said 3 episodes left. Does that mean 3 episodes til the season's over, series is over, or that has yet to be determined? To me it seems like the type of show that would run for one season and be done. But I'm really liking it and hoping thats not the case.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
Yeah, it's my favorite show too.  HBO puts out a lot of quality shows, and with Scorsese involved, I expected it to be excellent, and it is, so far.  Character development has been very good, particularly Nucky and Jimmy, but also Jimmy's mom, and his bi-girlfriend, and Margaret Schroeder, and that bizarre (self-flaggelating) federal agent, too.

Eastbound and Down is okay, too.  Not near as good as Boardwalk Empire for me, but my son likes it better.

Jimmy's mom?? That's not actually his mom right? Whats the deal with that? I kind of got lost in that whole story line.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday

Jimmy's mom?? That's not actually his mom right? Whats the deal with that? I kind of got lost in that whole story line.

Just did some research and basically found the answer to my own question. His mom was very young when she got knocked up, which explains why they look the same age. I think I got thrown off in the second episode when they Jimmy saw her again, the show made it seem like she was his mistress.

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Just did some research and basically found the answer to my own question. His mom was very young when she got knocked up, which explains why they look the same age. I think I got thrown off in the second episode when they Jimmy saw her again, the show made it seem like she was his mistress.

Yeah, that's some unusual casting (but it works).  In real life, Gretchen Mol (Jimmy's mom - fine, or what?) is 38, while Jimmy (Michael Pitt) is 29, though he could pass for like 25.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
does anyone know if this is the only season of the show?

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Great great show. I love Jimmy, Pitt does an amazing job playing his character. As far as I know its going to return for another season? I would expect it to anyway.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
I need to start watching this..hear nothing but great things about it.

The best show on TV is on AMC...Breaking Bad. :p SOOO GOOD!