Author Topic: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"  (Read 12757 times)

"[KG] helps the ones he likes"
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
“He helps the ones he likes,” Doc Rivers said. “Kevin is great. Kevin tries to help every big in here. If that big doesn’t listen to him one time, he’ll never speak to him again. Literally one time. That has happened a couple of times. Those two guys that he did that to are no longer here and that may be one of the reasons. That’s Kevin, when you talk about the Celtic Way, whatever that is, just say Kevin Garnett, and you’re pretty much there. Everything he does and says is about the team.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/10/11/practice-report-the-celtic-way/

let the speculation begin!!!

I say Patrick O'Bryant has to be at the top of the list.  Maybe Shelden Williams is the other?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:13:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
O'Bryant's got to be one of them...I'll say Mikki Moore for the other, he seemed like a bit of a complainer, and you know KG was very vocal in advising his replacements when he was hurt.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Interesting.  It's also interesting that Doc sees this consistent with the "Celtic way".  I love that KG is willing to help out his teammates, but I'm not sure the "my way or the highway, and you only get one chance" thing is something to be celebrated.  I mean, it seems like KG has actively isolated teammates, and I just don't see that as a good thing.

So, what bigs do we have that have departed?

- POB
- Williams
- Rasheed
- Posey
- Powe
- Pollard (lots of "PO" names...  is that a sign?)
- Brown (retired)
- Scal
- Moore
- Miles
- Batista (and yes, I'm really digging now)

I've got to say, I'm surprised that BBD isn't one of the two.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm going with POB and Williams. 

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Interesting, it's not really surprising from KG's part but it's kind of funny at the same time.

O'Bryant is one of them, that's for sure. I don't think Shelden is the second one, makes no sense to me, he seemed like a guy who listened and worked hard. Maybe Mikki but I'm not sure KG got him under his wing since he was hurt at the time and was kind of distant from the team.

PJ Brown then? ;D No way, and it can't be Leon either so I'm wondering who the second one is.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think the likely names have already been hit on here.  I'd go with POB and MM, myself.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Oh, and from his reactions on the sidelines, I'd say KG's vwery pleased with how Mr. Lasme has listened so far.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
One of them could be BBD even though he is physically there.

We all ask ourselves several times during the last couple seasons if he is mentally there  ;D
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As admirably as Leon Powe has performed for us, he never looked like he dug KG's antics.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I hope he works a lot with Erden. I wasn't at all impressed with his play in the world championships but his preseason play has been eye opening. I'm especially impressed by his mobility as a big and excellent hands/passing. He's def showed some potential.

If he can take a few offensive moves from KG Danny might have himself another draft steal. Either way though I gotta back pedal on my first negative assumptions of him. He's seemed hungry and aggressive this preseason which is not what I saw from him before. Hopefully KG sees that and takes this kid under his wing.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
if it's SHelden that would explain the inexplicable move of benching him during the regular season last year

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting.  It's also interesting that Doc sees this consistent with the "Celtic way".  I love that KG is willing to help out his teammates, but I'm not sure the "my way or the highway, and you only get one chance" thing is something to be celebrated.  I mean, it seems like KG has actively isolated teammates, and I just don't see that as a good thing.

So, what bigs do we have that have departed?

- POB
- Williams
- Rasheed
- Posey
- Powe
- Pollard (lots of "PO" names...  is that a sign?)
- Brown (retired)
- Scal
- Moore
- Miles
- Batista (and yes, I'm really digging now)

I've got to say, I'm surprised that BBD isn't one of the two.

Im with Roy on this one... If KG really does give only one chance and practices the my way or the highway routine...Then I cant believe that BBD is still with this team. I can totally see Baby being jealous of what Garnett has accomplished and trying to beat out Garnett for the starting spot, which wont happen until KG retires. Very surprised BBD is still here after all his complaining and whatnot.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
if it's SHelden that would explain the inexplicable move of benching him during the regular season last year

He sucked.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yeah, I'm of the notion that I hope he works with Semih as well. Erdin already has the language issue, as he learns the game and the lingo.

As long as Semih works hard, I see no reason for KG to lose his patience with him.

And he appears to be a hard worker and fast learner.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It wasn't unexpected. Glen Davis became available, Williams' minutes went down, and he proceeded to suck profusely, hence the benching.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."