Author Topic: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"  (Read 12755 times)

Re: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:52 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
First guy, Scals. Second guy, umm, Scals.  ;D
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Not a chance--KG knows fully-formed clay when he sees it!

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

Lol.  Plus, Scals loved how demanding KG was of the team.

I try to get a sense of what ethereal elements might have altered the chemistry of the Celtics, but I am told that the difference is not intangible; it’s tangible, and it’s not complicated.

“This is my seventh year in the N.B.A. I’ve been to the finals twice, and those teams were great. But they were not like this team,” Scalabrine says. “And the reason why is Kevin Garnett. The media perception about Garnett is real. When Kevin walks into the facility and the weight room, he jokes around and makes fun of guys. But then about 15 minutes before practice, it’s all focus. It’s all work. If he is not clear about something, we don’t move on until we are all clear. He solves a lot of problems. I mean, I’ve played with good players. I played with Jason Kidd, and Kidd is an incredible gamer. But he was never as demanding of his teammates the way Kevin is. Not half as much. Not a quarter as much.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/playmagazine/02play-klosterman.html?_r=5&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
why the hate on shelden here?  The guys who were complainers on this team were POB and Mikki  those are your prime suspects...shelden was a good trooper the whole time here   alot of people forget him stepping in for BBD early season and doing very well. The guy just dropped 21 and 14 for denver the other night

Huzzah! I guess that means the Lakers won't have a cakewalk to the NBA Finals through the rest of the Western Conference.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Well...yeah. After reading everybody here, it does make a little more sense. Maybe Doc should have used different words to describe or articulate what he was trying to say.

I really don't want to not like KG anymore. Always LOVED him and this just sort of felt like a punch in the gut, on first glance.

Can't wait for the game tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Well...yeah. After reading everybody here, it does make a little more sense. Maybe Doc should have used different words to describe or articulate what he was trying to say.

I really don't want to not like KG anymore. Always LOVED him and this just sort of felt like a punch in the gut, on first glance.

I posted this in the blog link as well, in reply to your post about KG "trying to take away Pruitt's dignity", but I'll put it here as well.  I really think that some are taking this line from Doc and jumping to some questionable conclusions.

For example, Gabe Pruitt absolutely loved playing with Garnett. He’s one of many, many young players that credit him with being an outstanding mentor. In Pruitt’s words:

“I remember when we were overseas I got a call and it said come to Glen (Davis’) room. So [the rookies] went to Glen’s room and there was a guy with two suit racks. KG walks in and is like, ‘Pick out three suits, it’s on me.’ We looked at each other like, ‘Whoa’ and started shopping through them and picked out three suits. They’re really nice suits from Italy and that was my first time really getting a suit like that because I don’t really wear suits. But I was pumped that he said that when I walked in and saw the selection and they custom made everything — the shoes, the jacket, all that stuff — so I was pretty excited about that.”

“For the most part he’s always full of energy and full of stories. Every day you come looking forward to another story that happened to him these past years. When he comes in you’re looking forward to it and he stops and sits down and you get into it, it’s like ‘I wonder what’s next.’ There’s always something that makes you say, ‘Oh wow,’ something crazy like that. He’s always full of energy, always keeping spirits up. If you’re down, he’s somebody who will pull you to the side and talk to you. He’s a real clam off the court and on the court he’s energetic and crazy, but he’s a really good guy both ways. He really helps me out when I need help or times when stuff comes up, he’s the guy I go to and talk to.” – Gabe Pruitt

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7841

Considering that this whole thread is based off of an interview in which Doc Rivers, an NBA vet known as a player’s coach and one of the nice guys in the game, felt that he was saying something complimentary about KG and giving it credit for being a positive for the team, in addition to interviews like the above from the “bullied” Gabe Pruitt, I tend to think that perhaps some aren't interpreting what Doc said the way that Doc meant it. At least, that’s my opinion.

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I posted this in the blog link as well, in reply to your post about KG "trying to take away Pruitt's dignity", but I'll put it here as well.  I really think that some are taking this line from Doc and jumping to some questionable conclusions.

For example, Gabe Pruitt absolutely loved playing with Garnett. He’s one of many, many young players that credit him with being an outstanding mentor. In Pruitt’s words:

“I remember when we were overseas I got a call and it said come to Glen (Davis’) room. So [the rookies] went to Glen’s room and there was a guy with two suit racks. KG walks in and is like, ‘Pick out three suits, it’s on me.’ We looked at each other like, ‘Whoa’ and started shopping through them and picked out three suits. They’re really nice suits from Italy and that was my first time really getting a suit like that because I don’t really wear suits. But I was pumped that he said that when I walked in and saw the selection and they custom made everything — the shoes, the jacket, all that stuff — so I was pretty excited about that.”

“For the most part he’s always full of energy and full of stories. Every day you come looking forward to another story that happened to him these past years. When he comes in you’re looking forward to it and he stops and sits down and you get into it, it’s like ‘I wonder what’s next.’ There’s always something that makes you say, ‘Oh wow,’ something crazy like that. He’s always full of energy, always keeping spirits up. If you’re down, he’s somebody who will pull you to the side and talk to you. He’s a real clam off the court and on the court he’s energetic and crazy, but he’s a really good guy both ways. He really helps me out when I need help or times when stuff comes up, he’s the guy I go to and talk to.” – Gabe Pruitt

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7841

Considering that this whole thread is based off of an interview in which Doc Rivers, an NBA vet known as a player’s coach and one of the nice guys in the game, felt that he was saying something complimentary about KG and giving it credit for being a positive for the team, in addition to interviews like the above from the “bullied” Gabe Pruitt, I tend to think that perhaps some aren't interpreting what Doc said the way that Doc meant it. At least, that’s my opinion.

I'd forgotten about that suits story--a great reminder, thanks!

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Clay is a bit lumpy.  ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
why the hate on shelden here?  The guys who were complainers on this team were POB and Mikki  those are your prime suspects...shelden was a good trooper the whole time here   alot of people forget him stepping in for BBD early season and doing very well. The guy just dropped 21 and 14 for denver the other night

what did POB and Moore have to complain about ? they were both stiffs who should have been counting their blessings that they were fortunate enough to be a Boston Celtic for a season.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce