Author Topic: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"  (Read 12854 times)

Re: "[KG] helps the ones he likes"
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Apparently it's fun to speculate on the 'who', but what hurts is my new idea of KG being not quite the guy I thought he was.
Doc also!
I despise that cliqueish (sp) stuff and it hurts the 'team chemistry' that's so important to being a winning team.
Doc airing it on media waves was not the brightest move for a coach. It seems like he's proud of this behavior from KG.
And it can't be doubted or put in the category of heresay because we got it straight from the horse's mouth.  

I'm with you on this one.  Doc is usually pretty media savvy; I'm not sure what is gained by admitting that KG isolates the teammates that have gotten on his bad side.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:15:58 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Apparently it's fun to speculate on the 'who', but what hurts is my new idea of KG being not quite the guy I thought he was.
Doc also!
I despise that cliqueish (sp) stuff and it hurts the 'team chemistry' that's so important to being a winning team.
Doc airing it on media waves was not the brightest move for a coach. It seems like he's proud of this behavior from KG.
And it can't be doubted or put in the category of heresay because we got it straight from the horse's mouth.  

I think maybe you're being a little hard on KG. He's only human, and he's more than willing to work with younger guys..but if you turn him down he turns his back on you. I'd rather have a guy who is willing to put in the time with guys who want it than guys who either don't want to put in extra time at all or don't care how the youngsters develop.

Just because KG takes it a little personal when guys don't show the same passion for the game that he does, doesn't mean he isn't an exceptional player, an exceptional teammate, and an exceptional human being. That's my read on it anyways.

Also it should be noted that everyone we've discussed as guys KG might have 'blackballed' from his own tutelage are fringe rotation guys that are not on the team. As someone said earlier, I'd be incredibly surprised if Baby hasn't tuned KG out from time to time, but you can see the two have chemistry still, so its not like we should take this as KG's strict personal dogma or anything.

The guys who want help get help..the guys who don't, he doesn't waste his time with. Truthfully if a guy on the edge of the rotation doesn't want help from a first ballot HOF'er and the best defender of the last decade, I'm glad they're gone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Doc also!

I think maybe you're being a little hard on KG. He's only human, and he's more than willing to work with younger guys..but if you turn him down he turns his back on you. I'd rather have a guy who is willing to put in the time with guys who want it than guys who either don't want to put in extra time at all or don't care how the youngsters develop.

Just because KG takes it a little personal when guys don't show the same passion for the game that he does, doesn't mean he isn't an exceptional player, an exceptional teammate, and an exceptional human being. That's my read on it anyways.

Also it should be noted that everyone we've discussed as guys KG might have 'blackballed' from his own tutelage are fringe rotation guys that are not on the team. As someone said earlier, I'd be incredibly surprised if Baby hasn't tuned KG out from time to time, but you can see the two have chemistry still, so its not like we should take this as KG's strict personal dogma or anything.

The guys who want help get help..the guys who don't, he doesn't waste his time with. Truthfully if a guy on the edge of the rotation doesn't want help from a first ballot HOF'er and the best defender of the last decade, I'm glad they're gone.

this! TP

i think it's a good decision to cut young players who don't want to get better. If their biggest plus is "potential", and they don't want a part in achieving it, then give me Scalabrine! lol

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Doc is usually pretty media savvy; I'm not sure what is gained by admitting that KG isolates the teammates that have gotten on his bad side.

This I also agree with though. I'm not sure "isolates" is the term I'd use, but there is no reason Doc should be saying this, unless he's trying to stop Erden from making the same mistakes as big men before him.

I'm not sure it would matter though...Erden probably can't even order a Big Mac yet...let alone understand KG's profanity-laced pearls of wisdom.

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In the grand scheme of the things, the most important part of the article was probably this:

It was a half hour or so after practice had concluded and Kevin Garnett was finished with his customary individual workout. As he looked up from his own efforts, Garnett saw Semih Erden  going through the paces on pick and roll defense. Garnett called over to assistant coach Kevin Eastman and asked him to, “get Luke,” as in Harangody, the Celtics other rookie big man.

Dripping with sweat and slightly out of breath, Garnett gathered the two together and began a tutorial as only Garnett can. He wanted them to talk loud. No, louder. Let there be no doubt which way they were showing, Garnett told them in no uncertain terms.

Erden had been too quiet on Sunday against the Raptors, and in one instance he let Rajon Rondo get steamrolled by a screen. The lesson took no more than 10 minutes and left little time for pleasantries or niceties. That’s just fine with Harangody who relishes this kind of attention from Garnett.

“He’s not really yelling,” Harangody said after the Raptors game. “He’s teaching. I like that, to be honest.”

I like this quote from Doc, too:

On a coaching staff that believes in tangibles, understanding the Celtics Way is a bit of an intangible phenomenon.

“I know it when I see it,” Rivers said. “It’s our speed. It’s unselfish. Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it, then you’re probably a pretty good Celtic. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win and you don’t want to play team basketball and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a good Celtic.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
In the grand scheme of the things, the most important part of the article was probably this:

It was a half hour or so after practice had concluded and Kevin Garnett was finished with his customary individual workout. As he looked up from his own efforts, Garnett saw Semih Erden  going through the paces on pick and roll defense. Garnett called over to assistant coach Kevin Eastman and asked him to, “get Luke,” as in Harangody, the Celtics other rookie big man.

Dripping with sweat and slightly out of breath, Garnett gathered the two together and began a tutorial as only Garnett can. He wanted them to talk loud. No, louder. Let there be no doubt which way they were showing, Garnett told them in no uncertain terms.

Erden had been too quiet on Sunday against the Raptors, and in one instance he let Rajon Rondo get steamrolled by a screen. The lesson took no more than 10 minutes and left little time for pleasantries or niceties. That’s just fine with Harangody who relishes this kind of attention from Garnett.

“He’s not really yelling,” Harangody said after the Raptors game. “He’s teaching. I like that, to be honest.”

I like this quote from Doc, too:

On a coaching staff that believes in tangibles, understanding the Celtics Way is a bit of an intangible phenomenon.

“I know it when I see it,” Rivers said. “It’s our speed. It’s unselfish. Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it, then you’re probably a pretty good Celtic. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win and you don’t want to play team basketball and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a good Celtic.”

Love to read that stuff.

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:25 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
i can't see Bird or Russell or even Paul Silas being all that friendly towards guys who join the Celtics and then blatantly ignore a veteran's advice or coaching.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Has there ever been a chemistry issue since the Big Three were assembled? No.

Why do so many think there is some sort of rift between KG and BBD? What happened a couple seasons ago was in the heat of the moment and KG did not intend to embarrass BBD, he just got (over) emotional. I am sure they worked things out that night, if they even needed too. If there was a problem, BBD would not be on the team anymore.

I think this whole story is about KG as a "coach." Not KG as a teammate or even KG as a person.

Once a player ignores his advice and wastes his time, that's a wrap. I don't believe this means he won't ever help them with anything, but simply that he won't spend extra time with them before/after practice.

I have no idea who the two anonymous players are, but it really doesn't matter. They are gone.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 12:28:43 AM »

Offline GreenBlood23

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Doc also!

What hurts the team more is you not listening when someone is trying to help you. KG is not getting anything out of it, not MVPs etc.,  except the player getting better, which in turn would help the team more. If you're not going to listen, then I'll just move on to someone who will. I put in great effort all the time, I expect you do the same. Actually more impressed now with KG. It’s not like it wasn’t told to every player that once you enter that Boston Celtics door, whatever you do is for the better interest of the team. This team is aiming for the Championship every year, if you're not willing to geared up for that then they shouldn't be on this team. Hence whoever those two guys were. ;D

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 04:05:26 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
You can only help people that want to learn. I can't imagine a player refusing KG's help.
It's like that time Kareem Abdul Jabbar approached Eddie Curry in New York Knicks to tell him what's he doing wrong(he was a big man coach or something) and Eddie got offended that Karrem "dissed" him in front of everybody. He told him if he wants to tell him something that is should be in private :S
Eddie fricking Curry  ;D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 05:57:27 AM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
This...
I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Has there ever been a chemistry issue since the Big Three were assembled? No.

Why do so many think there is some sort of rift between KG and BBD? What happened a couple seasons ago was in the heat of the moment and KG did not intend to embarrass BBD, he just got (over) emotional. I am sure they worked things out that night, if they even needed too. If there was a problem, BBD would not be on the team anymore.

I think this whole story is about KG as a "coach." Not KG as a teammate or even KG as a person.

Once a player ignores his advice and wastes his time, that's a wrap. I don't believe this means he won't ever help them with anything, but simply that he won't spend extra time with them before/after practice.

I have no idea who the two anonymous players are, but it really doesn't matter. They are gone.

And this...

Doc also!

What hurts the team more is you not listening when someone is trying to help you. KG is not getting anything out of it, not MVPs etc.,  except the player getting better, which in turn would help the team more. If you're not going to listen, then I'll just move on to someone who will. I put in great effort all the time, I expect you do the same. Actually more impressed now with KG. It’s not like it wasn’t told to every player that once you enter that Boston Celtics door, whatever you do is for the better interest of the team. This team is aiming for the Championship every year, if you're not willing to geared up for that then they shouldn't be on this team. Hence whoever those two guys were. ;D

TPs to both.

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
why the hate on shelden here?  The guys who were complainers on this team were POB and Mikki  those are your prime suspects...shelden was a good trooper the whole time here   alot of people forget him stepping in for BBD early season and doing very well. The guy just dropped 21 and 14 for denver the other night

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
why the hate on shelden here?  The guys who were complainers on this team were POB and Mikki  those are your prime suspects...shelden was a good trooper the whole time here   alot of people forget him stepping in for BBD early season and doing very well. The guy just dropped 21 and 14 for denver the other night

Did he?  That's great to see.

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25

Agreed.

The message KG seems to be sending here is "if you won't put any effort into your development as a player, I won't put any effort into your development either. I care exactly as much as you do."

Baby has a history of whining (the annual complaint about not knowing his role) and making stupid decisions (the broken thumb last year being the biggest). Probably sometimes he annoys KG and, you know, everyone else.

But Baby also has a history of making an effort, whether it's developing a jump shot or collecting Tommy points for diving out of bounds and taking charges.

And Baby cares about getting better. When he's so upset about playing badly that he cries, he shows that he cares and is listening. When he yells "I know I [expletive] up" in response to KG's criticisms from the bench, he shows that he cares and is listening.

When KG was asked what he was going to do right after the crying incident, he said that he and Baby were going to talk and "get deep." Because Baby is worth his time.

Baby is in the doghouse with some posters here, but he clearly isn't with KG. Last week, they were both dancing in that Halloween mask video. And last game, KG made a point of getting off the bench and going across the court to where the trainers were trying to make Baby's face stop bleeding... and he sure didn't appear to be saying "he's annoying anyway, can't you just let him keep bleeding or trade him or something?"

KG isn't siphoning off the weak or the sensitive or the irritating... he just isn't bothering with those who can't be bothered themselves.

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:51 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A good part of the value of veterans in a locker room is when they can establish high standards of work and let the coach play a little more the 'good cop'.  Part of Doc's credibility as a coach is that he was a successful player, because players ultimately look up to other successful players more than anyone.

And if a young big guy isn't going to relish coaching attention from the likes of KG, well, KG has probably just helped the coaching staff sniff out that he's probably not worth their time either--because that young guy likely isn't going to listen to anybody.