Author Topic: Let's Be Honest About The 15th Spot  (Read 9604 times)

Re: Let's Be Honest About The 15th Spot
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
While I fully agree with your assessment of his maturity, defensive mindset and exceptional athleticism all being good reasons to keep him, I still havent seen him prove he can play the SF position. That is the crux of the matter and the real need that the team has at this stage. We just dont need an energetic end of the bench tweener IMO.

His competition seems to be Von Wafer and Mario West.  Is there any real proof that Wafer can play the SF position?

Unless Lasme blows people away, it almost doesn't matter how good he is.  His situation makes him almost ideal for the new D-League rules that allow teams to get favored placement for their last cuts in training camp.  Even if he is judged to be slightly better than Wafer and Mario West, he's going to the D-League.  That is the most advantageous way for Boston to make use of the rules.

Exactly my point, he is talented enough and has showed enough (I hope) to earn that D league spot, but not necessarily a roster spot as a SF. I still feel that Danny may keep that 15th roster spot open going into the season. Why use it for a guy who may not be the one we want for the long haul going into the season? At most he gets a non guaranteed contract through December which would be just fine if we dont see something better before then.

Just saw today that Kenny Thomas was released and Damien Wilkins may be released soon as he is not guaranteed. Not saying they are any kind of saviors at the SF spot, but a look at a few guys like them certainly would be a smart move IMO. All we need is 10-15 mpg of decent defense at the 3rd string level maximum and a veteran may drop off a roster in the next couple weeks that can give us that.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
While I fully agree with your assessment of his maturity, defensive mindset and exceptional athleticism all being good reasons to keep him, I still havent seen him prove he can play the SF position. That is the crux of the matter and the real need that the team has at this stage. We just dont need an energetic end of the bench tweener IMO.

His competition seems to be Von Wafer and Mario West.  Is there any real proof that Wafer can play the SF position?

Unless Lasme blows people away, it almost doesn't matter how good he is.  His situation makes him almost ideal for the new D-League rules that allow teams to get favored placement for their last cuts in training camp.  Even if he is judged to be slightly better than Wafer and Mario West, he's going to the D-League.  That is the most advantageous way for Boston to make use of the rules.

Exactly my point, he is talented enough and has showed enough (I hope) to earn that D league spot, but not necessarily a roster spot as a SF. I still feel that Danny may keep that 15th roster spot open going into the season. Why use it for a guy who may not be the one we want for the long haul going into the season? At most he gets a non guaranteed contract through December which would be just fine if we dont see something better before then.

Just saw today that Kenny Thomas was released and Damien Wilkins may be released soon as he is not guaranteed. Not saying they are any kind of saviors at the SF spot, but a look at a few guys like them certainly would be a smart move IMO. All we need is 10-15 mpg of decent defense at the 3rd string level maximum and a veteran may drop off a roster in the next couple weeks that can give us that.

Thomas looks shot the past two seasons.  Just look at his numbers. 

Wilkens would be more interesting. 

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not sure I understand how the new D-league rules work.  Let's say 15 guys make the roster, and the team assigns players number 16 and 17 (say, Wafer and West)to Maine, then we don't have any more rights to those players than any other team, do we?  If someone else signs them to a 10 day contract or beyond, is that not perfectly within their powers?

I don't really see how this is different than before in terms of roster spots.  If someone can clarify some of the nuances that I might have missed and how they affect the Cs roster, I'd appreciate it.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You can request that up to three cuts will go to your affiliate in the D-League, if they choose to play there.  If your D-League team uses a similar system as your NBA team, then you have up to three guys familiar with your system who you have the option to sign to NBA contracts.

Here's an example.  After two seasons with Atlanta, Mario West played for Maine in the D-League last season.  He got signed mid-season by Atlanta precisely because he was already familiar with their system, when there were better players available from the D-League.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference