Author Topic: Sources: Carmelo 4 way trade in talks  (Read 18672 times)

Re: Sources: Carmelo 4 way trade in talks
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Melo would be better off sticking it out in Den until the offseason then being stuck in swamp land without Harris and Favors.

I'd agree that sans Harris and Favors, the Nets are worse off than the Nuggets and likely miss the playoffs all together this season.
What do you mean by worse off than the Nuggets? Next season only or for the future?

It seems to me that Brook Lopez makes the Nets the better long term destination than the Nuggets. Regardless of NJ's ability to hold onto their other promising young pieces.

Denver can't compare to a core of Melo + Lopez ... they have nothing to offer that comes remotely close to that.

-----------------------------------------------

I think a team led by B.Lopez and Melo with a supporting cast of T.Outlaw, T.Murphy, Morrow, J.Farmar and T-Williams is a playoff caliber team in the East. They'd also have Petro, Humphries and D.James to supply some more support.

I'd have them in the eight seed behind Charlotte who'd be a much improved team with Devin Harris. Otherwise, the seventh seed behind Milwaukee.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The only reason I can think of for Utah is to get below the luxury tax threshold (about $5-6 million over).

I don't think that is worth the extra year on Diaw's contract ($9 million) + the talent drop off from Diaw to Kirilenko ... but who knows, maybe they do.

Still seems strange though, you'd expect Utah to get a better fit for their roster than Diaw (a legit wing or defensive C) + unless Denver are ridding themselves of another bad contract I don't see why they want to pay Kirilenko $17 million instead of T.Murphy's $12 million.

The Nuggets have major payroll issues themselves ... they are over the LTT by about $12 million already + the money they'd be taking on in this deal (another $4 million?). Why such a large payroll for a team entering rebuilding? From an owner who has been hesitant to increase spending in recent years?

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 06:38:57 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If this deal is made its places this as one of dumbiest moves of the decade.A team should never let a player of this caliber go,if they are trying to win a championship.This tells me the Nuggets are giving up on winning anytime soon.You do not trade or give up on trying to hold onto a player of Melo ability,they are to hard to come by in this league.(imo)

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
If this deal is made its places this as one of dumbiest moves of the decade.A team should never let a player of this caliber go,if they are trying to win a championship.This tells me the Nuggets are giving up on winning anytime soon.You do not trade or give up on trying to hold onto a player of Melo ability,they are to hard to come by in this league.(imo)

Denver is handcuffed.  Melo doesnt want to be there.  The option is to let someone who doesnt want to work for you stay and poison the water.  Or get rid of him and get something in return.

Sounds like an easy choice to me...I dont blame Denver.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Looks like the deal might be just about done.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69257/20100924/source_melo_approves_trade_to_nets/

So plan is to get Chris Paul next year and have a Melo Paul and Lopez core for Brooklyn hmmmm...not bad.

Plus dont thaey already have that sharp shooter from Golden State?  Very very interesting.

Knick fans must be jumping off the GW right now.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
So plan is to get Chris Paul next year...
I see this assumption often that Chris Paul will go to NJ next year but how would that happen.  He is signed this season and next with an option for 2012/2013.  After this, NJ is going to have traded Harris, Favors, and picks so what are they going to have left to trade for Paul?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:10:37 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Denver is handcuffed.  Melo doesnt want to be there.  The option is to let someone who doesnt want to work for you stay and poison the water.  Or get rid of him and get something in return.

Sounds like an easy choice to me...I dont blame Denver.

Yeah, I don't think Denver had a whole lot of leverage here.
They are getting a decent haul in return, and can start the rebuilding process.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
The only reason I can think of for Utah is to get below the luxury tax threshold (about $5-6 million over).

That's a pretty good reason, though, since it's dollar for dollar for every dollar over (ie: if Utah is $5M over, they are in effect saving $10M in this deal).

Moreover, I don't think the talent drop off is a big as you suggest.  For starters, you have to consider that AK is likely to miss 20% of the games due to various on-going injury issues, whereas Diaw has been healthy the last 3+ years.

I think this is a very solid trade for Utah.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I like this trade for everybody except the Nets actually. If we go with overall talent, Carmelo is better than both Devin Harris and Favors but I still don't see him as a leader who will improve the team drastically a la Chauncey Billups. He wouldn't mean drastic improvement this year but it's an interesting addition for the future if he agrees to an extension because then you can sign Chris Paul or some other big name in free agency. Still, there is too much incertainty in that scenario so I'm not a fan of it.

For Utah it's a really good deal since they make a lot of savings and basically replace Kirilenko's production with Diaw (who is not as good as a defender but is a great passer and should fit really well in Sloan's sytem), Denver gets good compensation and great assets for the future, and Charlotte gets a more needed player (a starting point guard) while not losing too much with Diaw since Thomas is here for the years to come.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
So NJs starting lineup will be:
Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Melo, Troy Murphy, Brooke Lopez, with Travis Outlaw off the bench for Morrow and Melo, Joe Smith off the bench for Troy, and Keyon Dooling off the bench for Farmar....
They could use another big man -- Erik Dampier?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I like this trade for everybody except the Nets actually. If we go with overall talent, Carmelo is better than both Devin Harris and Favors but I still don't see him as a leader who will improve the team drastically a la Chauncey Billups. He wouldn't mean drastic improvement this year but it's an interesting addition for the future if he agrees to an extension because then you can sign Chris Paul or some other big name in free agency. Still, there is too much incertainty in that scenario so I'm not a fan of it.

For Utah it's a really good deal since they make a lot of savings and basically replace Kirilenko's production with Diaw (who is not as good as a defender but is a great passer and should fit really well in Sloan's sytem), Denver gets good compensation and great assets for the future, and Charlotte gets a more needed player (a starting point guard) while not losing too much with Diaw since Thomas is here for the years to come.

In a way, I have to agree with Drucci here. I don't like what NJ is doing short term because basically, Jordan Farmar is now the only PG on their roster, but, long term, if they can sign Chris Paul when his contract runs out, then I really love the deal.

But, Chris Paul is two years down the line and the likelihood of landing him in a trade sooner is now probably pretty remote since NJ is giving up their young assets and draft picks to land Melo. But, if come time to move to Brooklyn they can put together a team of Brook Lopez, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Anthony Morrow, Damion James, Terrence Williams, and Travis Outlaw as a base to build around, and maybe add a PF to that group, they will probably be winning a lot of Atlantic Division titles as the Brooklyn Nets.

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Who,

Are you kidding me?  Charlotte will be lucky to win 40 with Devin.  He is a horrible shooter and NOT a 3-point threat.  He is young, but has only averaged 68 games over his young career.  He is VERY skinny and NOT a good defender.  He is about the same level as Felton, but not a prime time late game player like Raymond was for the Bobcats.  Add to that the fact that they will lose the over 4 assists that Diaw averaged.  Diaw is a very high IQ player.  They will be replacing Diaw and his heady game with a physically talented head case in Tyrus Thomas.  Talented, yes, but an explosion waiting to happen.  I now see Charlotte as a rather low IQ team outside of Gerald Wallace.

I simply could not disagree with you more.

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You do not trade or give up on trying to hold onto a player of Melo ability,they are to hard to come by in this league.(imo)

How'd that strategy work out for the Cavs?

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Who,

Are you kidding me?  Charlotte will be lucky to win 40 with Devin.  He is a horrible shooter and NOT a 3-point threat.  He is young, but has only averaged 68 games over his young career.  He is VERY skinny and NOT a good defender.  He is about the same level as Felton, but not a prime time late game player like Raymond was for the Bobcats.  Add to that the fact that they will lose the over 4 assists that Diaw averaged.  Diaw is a very high IQ player.  They will be replacing Diaw and his heady game with a physically talented head case in Tyrus Thomas.  Talented, yes, but an explosion waiting to happen.  I now see Charlotte as a rather low IQ team outside of Gerald Wallace.

I simply could not disagree with you more.

Smitty77

I agree to some extent that Who is probably overrating Devin Harris a little bit, but I also think you may be underrating him somewhat.  He's got very good defensive instincts, and has been a very good defender in the past.  In NJ, he took on more of a lead scoring role, and his D suffered because of it.  Under Larry Brown, I think he'll be one of the better defensive PGs in the league.  Also, he's not a truly gifted passer, but he's adequate.  I'd say he's on Felton's level in terms of passing -- maybe a little better.  Obviously, he's a much better scorer, and he's one guy on Charlotte who can create offense for himself consistently.

If they play up to their potential, Harris + Jackson + Wallace can lock teams down, which is a pretty good base for a playoff team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes