Author Topic: Scal ranked least productive C's regular of alltime.  (Read 20267 times)

Scal ranked least productive C's regular of alltime.
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't know how to provide links, but check out espn.com.  They rank the five least productive regulars for every nba franchise.  Our #1 least productive was Scal.

"Fan favorite Brian Scalabrine has a lot of heart, but it's hard to ignore that with the Celtics he had more fouls than rebounds as a big man who can't score."  Poor Scal.

Numbers 2-4 were from the 50's.  Number 5 was the great Acie Earl.

Re: Scal ranked least productive C's regular of alltime.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
ESPN, huh?

I wonder what would be "The Least Productive 1 Hour Televised Special" of all time?

I bet "The Decision" would rank up near the top..........

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't know how to provide links, but check out espn.com.  They rank the five least productive regulars for every nba franchise.  Our #1 least productive was Scal.

"Fan favorite Brian Scalabrine has a lot of heart, but it's hard to ignore that with the Celtics he had more fouls than rebounds as a big man who can't score."  Poor Scal.

Numbers 2-4 were from the 50's.  Number 5 was the great Acie Earl.

Funny, when I saw this headline I immdeiately thought of Earl.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
ESPN, huh?

I wonder what would be "The Least Productive 1 Hour Televised Special" of all time?

I bet "The Decision" would rank up near the top..........

TP.
About the only thing useful ESPN provides is Mike Reiss' New England Patriots Blog.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:10:29 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
The funny thing here is that I wonder if they are even watching the games....seeing how Scal played his role effectively for us.

Last year for Scal was tough, with those concussions and all, but I just cannot agree with whatever their rationale is.

It just seemed to me that while Scal certainly was not the most talented player on our team, he played his role really well and did not make many mistakes while in the game.

This sort of stuff from ESPN makes me appreciate some other sports outlets even more. For example - that Kelly Dwyer piece from Yahoo Sports I believe that had the PF ranking several weeks ago? They had KG ranked number 8, and rightfully so - but at least Dwyer had the knowledge to state that KG's intangibles make him much more valuable than the ranking alone.

I think the same thing applies to Scal, and it's much more than him being a good guy. Over the last few years - when he was healthy - Scal was a rotation player for us.

Sure - Scal made a lot of money to just be a rotation player, but looking back I can't be mad at him. That 15Mil was his Big Payday - his max contract, I believe.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
The funny thing here is that I wonder if they are even watching the games....seeing how Scal played his role effectively for us.

Last year for Scal was tough, with those concussions and all, but I just cannot agree with whatever their rationale is.

It just seemed to me that while Scal certainly was not the most talented player on our team, he played his role really well and did not make many mistakes while in the game.

This sort of stuff from ESPN makes me appreciate some other sports outlets even more. For example - that Kelly Dwyer piece from Yahoo Sports I believe that had the PF ranking several weeks ago? They had KG ranked number 8, and rightfully so - but at least Dwyer had the knowledge to state that KG's intangibles make him much more valuable than the ranking alone.

I think the same thing applies to Scal, and it's much more than him being a good guy. Over the last few years - when he was healthy - Scal was a rotation player for us.

Sure - Scal made a lot of money to just be a rotation player, but looking back I can't be mad at him. That 15Mil was his Big Payday - his max contract, I believe.
On what planet was Scal a rotation player? He was at best a reserve, sometimes a bench warmer or cheer leader.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
   G   GS   MP   FG   FGA   FG%   3P   3PA   3P%   FT   FTA   FT%   ORB   DRB   TRB   
   264   38   3453   257   677   37.96%   130   353   36.83%   79   103   76.70%   89   307   396   
AST   STL   BLK   TOV   PF   PTS
195   69   59   149   452   723

These are his stats in Boston. I think its fair to say he was very unproductive for the amount of minutes he played. (3453 isn't nothing)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

On what planet was Scal a rotation player? He was at best a reserve, sometimes a bench warmer or cheer leader.

I dont like the other planet comment
but i pretty much agree in everything else.

I can think on 15,000 better ways to spend 15,000,000
and still pay him 1,000,000 for his championship press conference
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Brendan - What about the few games where Scal started because of injuries to our starters? Or the games where he may not have started, but was the 6th or 7th player off the bench - again due to injuries?

We can't always look at stats - we all know this, right?

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
These are his stats in Boston. I think its fair to say he was very unproductive for the amount of minutes he played. (3453 isn't nothing)

Scal also played a lot in Boston due to 1) being on crappy teams in the first few years with even worse alternatives at his position and 2) injuries of other players.  Had KG been on the team for all of his tenure and not injured, I doubt Scal would have played those minutes.

It is also not his fault that someone offered him his contract and he accepted. 

Looking at his stats, he is pretty unproductive, but I also think he is held hostage by some things out of his control.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:11:44 AM by papa shuttlesworth »

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:02:27 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46

Brendan - What about the few games where Scal started because of injuries to our starters? Or the games where he may not have started, but was the 6th or 7th player off the bench - again due to injuries?

We can't always look at stats - we all know this, right?

Exactly.  TP.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Prime example of "Stats" being misleading - look at what Chris Bosh averaged last year - on a miserable team.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »

Offline KobeGotRondoD

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 27
I Wouldn't say he was the least productive. For his role, he did it pretty well.

And how many people can you say of that can fit the role of traveling mascot?

Least productive- jiri welsh, wally szerbiak

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Statistically unproductive.  Very true.

But once this team got good, when he was called upon to play a role, more often then not, he succeeded in that limited role and helped the team achieve what they wanted.  

I will always take that from the end of a bench guy over the over-hyped never to produce anything but empty stat guy.  

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Statistically unproductive.  Very true.

But once this team got good, when he was called upon to play a role, more often then not, he succeeded in that limited role and helped the team achieve what they wanted.  

I will always take that from the end of a bench guy over the over-hyped never to produce anything but empty stat guy.  
I think the last three years of his contract he did well enough for a 13th - 15th man.

The real problem was the first two years of his contract when he got big minutes and didn't produce.