Author Topic: Anyone else sick of FIBA?  (Read 31119 times)

Re: Anyone else sick of FIBA?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yes please.  I've actually been finding FIBA more enjoyable to watch than the NBA.  They actually let the guys play rather than blowing the whistle because one guy enters another guy's bubble.  The NBA is reminding me more and more of middle school girls lacrosse.

Absolutely, mgent. The reffing has been refreshing. No star calls. Needs to be a real foul to get called. None of this calling an illegal screen on one end and then ignoring the same play on the other end.

A little funny that the only game where the reffing took the spotlight was where NBA ref Bill Kennedy was reffing and called an offensive foul on an illegal screen for about 5 CONSECUTIVE trips down the court.

And the limited amount of isolation play has been great to watch as well.
Don't forget all the clean blocks that aren't being called fouls.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yes please.  I've actually been finding FIBA more enjoyable to watch than the NBA.  They actually let the guys play rather than blowing the whistle because one guy enters another guy's bubble.  The NBA is reminding me more and more of middle school girls lacrosse.

It's kind of odd because not too long ago the knock on Euro players was that the international game made them too soft to deal with the physicality of the NBA.  Now it seems like people are saying the reverse.

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
First off and as far as I could tell dark_lord merely stated a well known fact. That Naismith was indeed a Canadian citizen by birth. Just as, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger is Austrian by birth. Also, why mock his screen name? I am sure most people do not feel you are really a Hooligan even though that's the handle you chose. Did Naismith feel American? We will never know and you could be right. But you could also be wrong. Secondly, why do you feel that so many people hate America and what has that got to do with basketball? I am sure there a lots of things that people around the world do not like about your country but that could be said about any country. There is stuff in Denmark that bugs the (bad word) out of me. But that's an entirely different discussion and one that belongs in the Current Events forums. That said, you could be right in what you said about the international rules. And I am sure each and every true basketball fan would rather watch an NBA game than an international game. But to say that FIBA enforces different rules just to annoy Americans is just plain silly, IMHO. And finally, it's "football", not soccer. Played with the feet, you know?  ;)

its not worth it acf, which is why i didnt respond to him.  

he calls it patriotic, i call it ignorance and arrogance.

Last I checked this game was invented in Springfield Massachusetts!! In the UNITED STATES of AMERICA! We invented this game I think we'd know the proper rules.
This is precisely the attitude which causes the rest of the world to "frown on you".

this hit the nail on the head

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Is this thread really gonna turn into some liberal rant and a bash on me because yes I am Patriotic. And yes, I do beleive since we invented the game we should make the rules. Hate on me for being a proud American all you want Koz it's not gonna change my pride or my opinion. I stated that the fact is the world plays under one collective rule set for soccer or "football" as you guys so a[dang]antly say. So why isn't it one collective rule set for basketball. And since the game was invented here we should make the rules.. Just my opinion man. No need to take cheap shots

You have every right to be patriotic. But why do you insist on making it "us vs. them" in these posts? Again, it's what I gather from what you say and apparently others do, too. I think Koz had a great point. No one said you were wrong as far as talking about bball rules. Your points were just overshadowed by your "patriotic stance".

I'm loving FIBA.  Great games, great atmosphere, and real gutsy performances from a lot of different players that I'd never heard of before.  As a fan of basketball, I don't know how you can't love FIBA. 

What I'm sick of is the rampant nationalism prevalent in the OP, the ESPN broadcasts, and Coach K's stupid attempt to silence a fellow American's right to speak his mind.  That's what really sickening and it brings to light some of the worst aspects of American culture, namely the mistaken belief that our unique American perspective is the only valid one in the world.  The ironic thing is that this country was founded on diversity of opinions and peoples, yet somehow today that's been translated and degraded into cultural hegemony. 

Great points, TP. I am 100 % sure this is why many people around the world find America(ns) arrogant. And I'm not saying I am one of them. Just wanted to clarify that! Funny little story: Someone once called me a "Starbucks-swilling ****" in the comments section for a Ted Bundy video on YouTube. This person refused to believe I was not American; rather, he said that my style of writing showed I was from the eastern parts of the US. Glad he didn't think I was from LA  ;D

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This person refused to believe I was not American; rather, he said that my style of writing showed I was from the eastern parts of the US.
Did you say Bundy is "wicked funny", or something? ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is this thread really gonna turn into some liberal rant and a bash on me because yes I am Patriotic. And yes, I do beleive since we invented the game we should make the rules. Hate on me for being a proud American all you want Koz it's not gonna change my pride or my opinion. I stated that the fact is the world plays under one collective rule set for soccer or "football" as you guys so a[dang]antly say. So why isn't it one collective rule set for basketball. And since the game was invented here we should make the rules.. Just my opinion man. No need to take cheap shots
To be honest, I have little respect for anyone who links they are superior for being part of a group, whether it is based on citizenship, religion, or favorite team.

Rules should win out based on their merit, not based on national fiat. There have been many rule changes over the years, the 3 point line being one of the more note-worthy. There is nothing wrong with rule changes.

I also do not understand why nation should be the trump card. Why not state? Shouldn't all rule changes have to come form Massachusetts, this this is the state where basketball was created?

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
This person refused to believe I was not American; rather, he said that my style of writing showed I was from the eastern parts of the US.
Did you say Bundy is "wicked funny", or something? ;)

I'll try to find the "word exchange" (for lack of a better word) and post it here soon  ;)

its not worth it acf, which is why i didnt respond to him. 

It bugged me, so yes, I thought it was worth it. But thanks  ;)

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
To be honest, I have little respect for anyone who links they are superior for being part of a group, whether it is based on citizenship, religion, or favorite team.
Rules should win out based on their merit, not based on national fiat. There have been many rule changes over the years, the 3 point line being one of the more note-worthy. There is nothing wrong with rule changes.

I also do not understand why nation should be the trump card. Why not state? Shouldn't all rule changes have to come form Massachusetts, this this is the state where basketball was created?

Ok let me get this straight.. It's arrogant, ignorant, and eliteist of me to wonder aloud why we as Americans shouldn't feel completely just and within our right to make the rules of basketball that the entire world should follow? Am I missing something here? If we came up with the game shouldn't we have the final say in how it's to be played? Why then is this issue never raised with soccer? Everyone has fallen in line and excepted the basic rules in that sport. Basketball being the second most popular sport in the world, why is that not the case as well? Who's the ignorant one here again?

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I like the FIBA rule set a lot better than the NBA rules.  A much more physical game, you're allowed to play zone, no super-star calls, traveling is actually called.  Why should the rest of the world, which I believe goes by FIBA rules abide to the NBA rulebook, when its the only professional league using a different rule set?  (I may be wrong on that statement so if I am, my bad, I didn't bother to research.)

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
I'm loving FIBA.  Great games, great atmosphere, and real gutsy performances from a lot of different players that I'd never heard of before.  As a fan of basketball, I don't know how you can't love FIBA.  

What I'm sick of is the rampant nationalism prevalent in the OP, the ESPN broadcasts, and Coach K's stupid attempt to silence a fellow American's right to speak his mind.  That's what really sickening and it brings to light some of the worst aspects of American culture, namely the mistaken belief that our unique American perspective is the only valid one in the world.  The ironic thing is that this country was founded on diversity of opinions and peoples, yet somehow today that's been translated and degraded into cultural hegemony.  

I'm sick of everyone running around trying to be so politically correct as to not offend others. It's watered down communication. Say what you mean. Mean what you say. Very simple. I didn't know Coach K was "silencing" a fellow American. To me he was simply addressing the fact that ya we got screwed. Don't beleive it check out the tape. Anyone who'd think differently is as he put it so
done who beleives in fairy tales. Sorry but I agree with him. I wouldn't except a silver medal after losing like that either. How is that him or me thinking because that's my opinion I have s completely unique opinion that's better than all others? Just because he called it like it is he should watch out and not step on anyones toes because others might have a different opinion? What? If others have a differing opinion that's fine. I could care less. They're welcome to that opinion. Doesn't make them any less wrong or right tho. So this uber political correctness stuff needs to kick rocks.

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Ok let me get this straight.. It's arrogant, ignorant, and eliteist of me to wonder aloud why we as Americans shouldn't feel completely just and within our right to make the rules of basketball that the entire world should follow? Am I missing something here? If we came up with the game shouldn't we have the final say in how it's to be played? Why then is this issue never raised with soccer? Everyone has fallen in line and excepted the basic rules in that sport. Basketball being the second most popular sport in the world, why is that not the case as well? Who's the ignorant one here again?

a country/nation cant own a sport :-\

bottom line, if u dont like FIBA, dont watch (rocket science, i know ::))

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
Shiny Helmet I never said anything about "owning the sport" I'll leave that up to you and your plans of world domination. What I did say is that we should have the final say on all rules and regulations of the game of basketball since it was created here. Just like how soccer is unified under one rule set now. (rocket science, I know)

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Shiny Helmet I never said anything about "owning the sport" I'll leave that up to you and your plans of world domination. What I did say is that we should have the final say on all rules and regulations of the game of basketball since it was created here. Just like how soccer is unified under one rule set now. (rocket science, I know)

ok hooligan......which country has the final say of the rules of soccer?   let me tell u, no one!  bc a country doesnt have ownership or a final say over a sport!  NASA is calling

and btw, dont so "we americans" bc you dont speak for the collective country, only urself.

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
So what I'm gathering here is your point is that all these rules are used by FIBA to level the playing field. I'm not denying that at all. In fact your spot on. But your missing my point. If your main concern is leveling the playing field so that other teams and players can compete with the top talent then you ultimatley run the risk of watering down the ultimate product on the floor. It's not the same game. Yes it's more physical yes the dimensions of the court aren't the same ( tho the very easily could be. That not impossible to change) but what's that all really do? Just what you said. Even the playing field. If that's the goal why don't we just start out with corrupt referees?

The point I was making was why do we need to level the playing field in the first place? You don't see everyone in Europe and South America calling for the rules in soccer to be changed to be more physical because the brazilians depend on finesse and usually win. Same deal here. There should be one set of rules and court dimensions etc. And we should have the final say on that because we invented the game. Period.

TP to Celticshooligan.

I doubt FIBA will be able to force the NBA to change its own rules regarding goaltending, especially considering that the NBA has existed longer than FIBA (first world championship was in 1950) and also the fact that foreign players can gain a ton of exposure by competing in the FIBA tournaments. In fact, many of the best international sides competing in FIBA (USA included  ;)) feature players who have played for, or seek to eventually play for an NBA franchise. It wouldn't do much for the growth of professional basketball if the most popular basketball league and the governing body behind international basketball couldn't come to some sort of a reasonable compromise as far as the rules and regulations of basketball are concerned.

I find it interesting to note that yes, basketball was invented in the USA, the inventor of basketball was born in Canada; the first ever NBA game took place in Toronto between the New York Knickerbockers and the Toronto Huskies -however- basketball has always been an 'American' game. Americans were the innovators responsible for taking the experimental game that Naismith invented, seemingly at a whim to its current level, establishing the most successful and most recognized basketball league around the world in the NBA as well as creating the concept of a 'professional basketball player', an 'all-star', a 'superstar', etc.

I'm not saying that international basketball isn't important, however just think of the rare case when the United States happens to actually lose in international competition -- more emphasis is placed on the fact that the higher-paid Americans happened to lose to a team of players whom half of which we may have never even heard of. Even these past Olympics proved that the athletes on Team USA felt that they couldn't even consider themselves the 'Dream-Team' until they won the Gold Medal in the men's basketball tournament, after other USA squads had lost in international competition and been sort of black-listed by international media. Heck, during the 90's Hakeem Olajuwon (Nigerian born NBA All-Star) chose to play for the United States' 'Dream-Team' and won Olympic Gold with his fellow Americans at the Atlanta games in 1996 so even foreigners can attest to how superior the USA's basketball program is seeing as Hakeem was probably the first non-American player to achieve all-star level success in the NBA...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:38:52 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

ok hooligan......which country has the final say of the rules of soccer?   let me tell u, no one!  bc a country doesnt have
ownership or a final say over a sport!  NASA is calling

and btw, dont so "we americans" bc you dont speak for the collective country, only urself.

I was addressing Koz and ACF before so that's why I kept stating we as Americans. Yes I'm aware I dont speak for all. I can only address one person at a time sir. And your wrong friend. Wikipedia states that soccer or "football" as I've been so adamantly reminded started in the mid 19th century in Great
Britain. And that in fact the laws of the game published in England in 1863 by the Football Association is still the basis for the way the game is played to this day. So no wonder why they are so fanatical over there about the game and our widely bur not universally considered the best fans. Point is they created the game. They created the rules. The rest of the world followed. Why should that not be the exact same case in Basketball sir? I do look forward to that explanation. Still haven't addressed it yet I'm afraid. Plenty of good insults flung my way by you tho. Congrats. Shame on my arrogant American pa-toot for wondering why the same rules should apply for this game as well. Just like soccer.