13 (40.6%)
John
14 (43.8%)
George Harrison
2 (6.3%)
Ringo
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Who's the best/most important Beatle?  (Read 12352 times)

Re: Who's the best/most important Beatle?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Beatles are amazing but they aren’t the end all be all superband that people make them out to be. Paul is great, John is kindof boring, George was cool but overall pretty cheesy, and Ringo is...well... Ringo. Together they made good music, but Paul is the only one who could really impress by himself. So my vote is Paul, followed by George.

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This is what bothers me about John Lennon.

He was singing "Imagine no possessions" while being filmed in his multi-million dollar second residence, in front of a piano most people can't afford, while wearing designer shades.

He sang about giving peace a chance, but (at least to my knowledge) when the North Vietnamese broke the treaty and there were millions of fleeing refugees where was John to say "Well I guess they have to give back their Nobel Peace Prize now"

And worst of all he sang "a brotherhood of man" while treating his own son like a lepper.

He's just from the say-as-I-do school of music is all.

He's the Antonio Cromartie of the Beatles. Lot's of talent. But kind of a flake.

Yes. I guess you're right. I'm a hater. Surprise surprise. Who would ever have thought. eja117 doesn't ever formulate or express surprisingly strong opinions, but nevertheless here I am.

A bit harsh.  I could be scorned endlessly for all the things I could've done but didn't.  He also could have made no effort at all to address love and peace.  You are scorning hypocrisy  but probably have no idea what he did do in terms of charitable work/donations and active efforts for peace.  His neglect of Julian was forgiven by Julian, after developing an understanding of the unprecedented whirlwind that John was caught up in.  John could easily have done the same thing to Sean -- but didn't.

It couldn't be surprising to you that he was imperfect -- I can't fault him for that.  I think all young, rich, over-attended to and over-worshipped young people all have to come to grips with the reality that money (fame, sex...) can't buy you love (happiness, satisfaction...).  At least John attempted to, in his own way, think outside himself in an effort, as incomplete and imperfect as it may have been, to improve the world.

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Beatles are amazing but they aren’t the end all be all superband that people make them out to be. Paul is great, John is kindof boring, George was cool but overall pretty cheesy, and Ringo is...well... Ringo. Together they made good music, but Paul is the only one who could really impress by himself. So my vote is Paul, followed by George.

Difference of opinion makes the world go around, so I respect your view.  As for me, I have been amazed by the Beatles since 'Meet the Beatles' which I listened to back in 1964 on our family phonograph. I was 6 years old and thought it was just great. The fact that this group began as very young men (George was still a teen when they first came to America) with a simplistic flair for catchy tunes and simple rhyme to a group that would grow to 'Rubber Soul' within 2 years and then Sgt. Pepper a year later was astounding to me.  To then put together the White Album, Abbey Road and Let it Be demonstrating incredible musical and lyrical growth while somehow maintaining the ability to create beautiful and memorable melodies -- with each individual artist also demonstrating his own personal journey of musical, spiritual and personal growth and development.  Well...I just have to say that I think they ARE, to use your words, the end all and be all superband. 

As others have said, the parts were all great and the sum of the parts was even greater.

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Double Fantasy is a landmark album something none of the others had on their own.  They are were good save Ringo.  Two are definitely musical geniuses on arrangement maybe three of them.  John and Paul are most definitely and George ain't bad at song writing either.  Sure any mega band is the sum of their parts and they were better together.

Lennon wrote songs for others, he wrote Fame for Bowie for instance. 
Harrison got little hoopla when he died and shamefully little credit.   Peeps still go to Lennon's spot in NYC.

The answer is Lennon because he formed the Beatles and was the band's leader.  Even McCartney thought of him as the leader.
"We all looked up to John. He was older ... the quickest wit and the smartest

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I've loved The Beatles for as long as I can remember.  I remember my mom's face when I made the transition...from Hard Day's Night...and came home with the White Album when I was in 8th grade.

The be-all end-all superband?  There is no doubt.  None.  Their creativity and cultural leadership are unparalleled.

Who was the most important?  Depends on "to whom?" 

The most important to society was probably John for the political edge.

The most important to John was probably Paul, since it was largely Paul's melodies that got the band out of clubs.

The most important to The Beatles was...[drum roll]...Ringo.  Yup...he was the "glue guy."

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

He was singing "Imagine no possessions" while being filmed in his multi-million dollar second residence, in front of a piano most people can't afford, while wearing designer shades.

He sang about giving peace a chance, but (at least to my knowledge) when the North Vietnamese broke the treaty and there were millions of fleeing refugees where was John to say "Well I guess they have to give back their Nobel Peace Prize now"

And worst of all he sang "a brotherhood of man" while treating his own son like a lepper.

He's the Antonio Cromartie of the Beatles. Lot's of talent. But kind of a flake.

Yes. I guess you're right. I'm a hater. Surprise surprise. Who would ever have thought. eja117 doesn't ever formulate or express surprisingly strong opinions, but nevertheless here I am.
I have to respect Bono. Despite being pompous, he does work hard on issues that no one can disagree with - like starvation.
True.

Bono says one thing he sorta finds funny is everywhere he goes in Africa they all think he's American

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

A bit harsh.  I could be scorned endlessly for all the things I could've done but didn't.  He also could have made no effort at all to address love and peace.  You are scorning hypocrisy  but probably have no idea what he did do in terms of charitable work/donations and active efforts for peace.  His neglect of Julian was forgiven by Julian, after developing an understanding of the unprecedented whirlwind that John was caught up in.  John could easily have done the same thing to Sean -- but didn't.

It couldn't be surprising to you that he was imperfect -- I can't fault him for that.  I think all young, rich, over-attended to and over-worshipped young people all have to come to grips with the reality that money (fame, sex...) can't buy you love (happiness, satisfaction...).  At least John attempted to, in his own way, think outside himself in an effort, as incomplete and imperfect as it may have been, to improve the world.

Unprecedented whirlwind he got caught up in?  Obama is caught up in a whirlwind. But he doesn't neglect his kids while preaching about how we all need to be good people.

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
none!  omg, i absolutely hated the beatles growing up, and yes, i am old enough to remember!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
1. John
2. George
3. Paul
4. Ringo

That's my "best" list. If we were doing an important list i'd probably have to bump Paul up to #2.

Although, when he did that song freedom, me and my friends decided that every time he does a vapid song like that, he gets struck from co-writing credit on a classic.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion