Author Topic: The West's Decline  (Read 4082 times)

The West's Decline
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
With Carmello potentially heading East, Boozer leaving Utah and Amare's departure from the sun's, it has become clear the west is no where the near the power house it was just a couple years ago.

Honestly, who in the west has a snow balls chance in hell of de-throning the Lakers?   I'd say the team that has even a slight chance (a longshot) would be the Thunder, with the emergence of KD and Westbrook.  Other than that though, LA seems to be a show in to the Finals next year.
Thoughts?
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

Re: The West's Decline
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Portland

Houston had a shot before they gave away Ariza. They made life a lot more difficult on themselves with that trade. Still have a decent shot at it though.

I think the Lakers will have stronger competition this season than in either of the past two seasons.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Teams that can give LA a run for their money?

Portland.."If" Oden can stay healthy.

Houston - "If" Yao can stay healthy.

San Antonio - "If" Tiago Splitter can play up to the hype, and I think he will. He's been solid so far in the FIBAs.

And OKC, of course. Cole Aldrich needs to contribute immediately, though.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »

Offline ralph

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

San Antonio - "If" Tiago Splitter can play up to the hype, and I think he will. He's been solid so far in the FIBAs.

So true dude, I'd love to see OKC beat the lakers for the WCF.
San Antonio Is Retooling not rebuilding.
Houston is a big if!
I think if Oden is putting up numbers like 12/8, they can beat the lakers. like they always do.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Splitter really looks like a great pickup alongside Duncan.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 06:21:25 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Splitter really looks like a great pickup alongside Duncan.

And I'm betting that Tiago will be a beast - if not right away, then certainly starting year after next.

Seems as if every Big that the Spurs bring in turns to gold.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:32:27 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think the Spurs have the best shot.  I think Splitter is the real deal.  The Spurs are always one of my favorite teams, so I hope they do well.  It's too bad they are stuck with Richard Jefferson at almost $10mil per year.  Hollinger thinks there was a prearranged agreament with Jeff to restructure in order to sign Splitter.  He calls Splitter the best contract in the league and Jefferson the worst contract.  I think the biggest thing with the Spurs is health.  Parker and Ginobili are hurt at some point every year, and Duncan is always beat up by the playoffs nowadays.  I'm hoping for the best for this team.

OKC may have a small chance to beat LA but I think their bigs are inadequate.  Green is talented but I don't think he's the answer at PF.  And a lot of scouts say Aldrich projects somewhere between Kendrick Perkins and a stiff.  As great as Durant and Westbrook are, the team may still be missing a piece.

Houston looks great if healthy, but what are the odds that Yao stays healthy through the playoffs?  Does he ever?

Portland has no chance.  They havn't played together as a unit long enough.  Every year they have Oden, then they don't have Oden.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Not sure the Spurs are good enough to beat the Lakers. I dislike their depth on the wings + their lack of quickness with their big men + size of backup big men.

I think their core -- Timmy, Ginobili, Parker and Splitter -- is good enough to win a Championship but I'm not sure their supporting cast is.

I also don't like how Tony Parker doesn't exploit Derek Fisher in the way that other quick point guards do. He rarely has had big games against LA over the last couple of years. Always around his regular numbers. Not playing badly but not rising to occasion either.

The lack of size and defense on the wings. No backup SF. No option against small ball lineups. No backup SG with defensive ability. An undersized backcourt with George Hill ... which is useful but I don't like it when we are talking about matching up with Kobe Bryant and the LA Lakers.

I think the front office has let their main players down. Not just this year but for the last several years. Their supporting cast doesn't fit their team as well as it had done in the past + unlike the past, they haven't altered their personnel to matchup against the best teams in the conference to limit matchup problems.

I think Splitter improves the Spurs but I don't know if it'll be enough to put them in the running for a title.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Oklahoma matchup well with the Lakers but they're a middle of the pack team versus the rest the West (playoff teams).

They need one of their young players (Westbrook, Harden, J.Green) to make a major leap next season in order to become a true contender.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Oklahoma matchup well with the Lakers but they're a middle of the pack team versus the rest the West (playoff teams).

They need one of their young players (Westbrook, Harden, J.Green) to make a major leap next season in order to become a true contender.

...or find an above average PF/C.  As much as I like Green, they are not going anywhere with him as their starting PF, unless he is next to an All Star center.  They just do not have the size to compete with the top teams in the league right now, and that includes the Lakers, despite how they looked in the playoffs against them last year (the Lakers were on cruise control, because they knew they could flip the switch and dominate the paint whenever they wanted).

As good as Durant is, that is the number one team I am afraid will become complacent with their overachieving, and not make the roster moves needed to make the next step.  I hope I am wrong, because the league will be much better off with Durant competing for a title year in and year out.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Portland

Houston had a shot before they gave away Ariza. They made life a lot more difficult on themselves with that trade. Still have a decent shot at it though.

I think the Lakers will have stronger competition this season than in either of the past two seasons.

I agree that Portland has a very good chance, if they get some luck with injuries.  If Greg Oden and Brandon Roy stay healthy, then they will be very hard to beat, but if either of those guys go down, then they are just another team.

I think the Rockets are in a similar situation.  If Yao can stay healthy, they will be VERY good, but if not, they are not a real contender.  I also have no problem with the Ariza trade.  Since he should be the 6th man anyways behind Battier and Martin, I actually like Lee a little bit better for that role.  Ariza is a guy with a lot of talent, but he doesn't seem to understand how to use it in the most efficient way, which is not good as a 6th man for a team like that.

I also think Dallas could be very good.  I think Chandler is going to be great this year, and he gives them the deepest (with quality) front court this side of Boston.  And having the entire season to integrate Butler into the offense should really help.  And of course they still have some very tradable contracts, should the right trade present itself. 

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
A team I am going to watch is the LA Clippers with Blake Griffen. They have very good young talent on that team. Utah seems to hang in there year after year.

Oklahoma, with Kevin Durant, figures to be the main challenger to the Lakers in the WC. I would not be surprised if the Celtics go title chasing in Oklahoma City instead of LA.

I hope Portland will be a very good team, too. I would love a quick 2 and 1/2 hour drive down I-5 to see an NBA finals game in 2011.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd like to think Portland can do it, but I have little faith in that front office. They ran Kevin Pritchard out of town, despite his successes.

They have plenty of good young players, but are ultimately still too dependent on Roy and Oden. And the injury history of those two makes me think that Portland will remain perennial bridesmaids.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
A team I am going to watch is the LA Clippers with Blake Griffen. They have very good young talent on that team. Utah seems to hang in there year after year.

Oklahoma, with Kevin Durant, figures to be the main challenger to the Lakers in the WC. I would not be surprised if the Celtics go title chasing in Oklahoma City instead of LA.

I hope Portland will be a very good team, too. I would love a quick 2 and 1/2 hour drive down I-5 to see an NBA finals game in 2011.
TP,agree with  your Clipper and OKC assessments.I think Griffen is due for a breakout season(good season),alone with a talented young roster.But OKC should be the Lakers spoiler this season.

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Lakers are 2 or 3 deep in every position. I can't find one flaw in that team. I used to think Fisher was their weakest link. That is until he blanketed Ray in the finals. They added more size, defense, and shooting. They still have Kobe, I consider him the best offensive weapon in the NBA. Pau Gasol is in the prime of his career. And the Pierce stopper Artest. Phil Jackson is back. I don't even know if the East can compete with the Lakers, let alone a depleted weak West. Lakers have set themselves another 2-3 years championship basketball.