Author Topic: From a Lakers fan, Boston fans are more intelligent/passionate than Lakers fans  (Read 6828 times)

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
As much as I hate to admit it, I have to call it like it is. While I will argue to death that the Lakers are better, or that "this" player is better than "that" player, when you talk about the fans, there really is no question.

First of all, there are intelligent and passionate Lakers fans, but there are more that are childish and immature. Sports to Boston is a religion; It is to me, as well, but I'm in the minority in Los Angeles. I can easily tell it by watching the games. In Boston, the fans erupt for a big game. I've been to Lakers games, and they're not as loud as most college games I've been to. I've visited both forums, and it seems like many Lakers fans don't know anything about anything, whether that be Lakers/sports, or many other topics, such as technology, culture, current events, etc.

Celtics podcasts are better. There is a decent Lakers podcast, but that's it. Celtics have more, and they're better.

Maybe, this is the case because Lakers fans are generally younger than Celtics fans. What confirmed this for me was going to a Miami Heat board, and looking at horror as to how close they were/are to Lakers fans - the arrogance, lack of intelligence/maturity, etc. And while I truly believe that there are die-hard celebrity Lakers fans, such as the lead singer of Maroon 5 (Adam Levine), Jack Nicholson, DiCaprio and Andy Garcia, the rest are bimbo's who have a lot of money and just want to be seen.

I don't know how much of it has to do with the general difference between East and West coast, but I suspect it has something to do with it. One theory is that people in Boston are tougher and more "real" because of the culture, and growing up in such a harsh, cold environment. I don't know how true that is, but it's out there. On that note, I guess you could argue that about some of the shadier parts of L.A. (i.e. Watts, Compton, East L.A., etc) - Not sure about breeding intelligence in these areas, but definitely toughness. Los Angeles probably has some of the best weather in the country (Bill Simmons talks about this all the time), and the people are more laid back (although not as "nice" as some parts in the South) - Those really are the big positives of the city. If you want to debate me, move my topic, etc. that's fine.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
thanks for the post and for taking Larry Bird's # as your own.  ;D
Yup

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
I will say this...I have met some very intelligent smart die hard Lakers fans.

Only thing is I cant stand bandwagon fans.  You dont seem to be one at first glance so you are ok  ::) with me.

But I will keep my eye on you.....
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I guess it's good that he mustn't have checked this blog during the Gerald Green era...

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Recognizes the superiority of Celtics fans. And acknowledges it in writing on the internet. Also possibly a closet Bird fan. Come over to the dark side LakersFan_33. You know you want to  ;D
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
Recognizes the superiority of Celtics fans. And acknowledges it in writing on the internet. Also possibly a closet Bird fan. Come over to the dark side LakersFan_33. You know you want to  ;D

Just calling it like it is. I enjoy and appreciate how good Bird, Ainge and McHale were, just in the same way that Boston fans appreciated how good Magic Johnson, Kareem, and Worthy were. Same with the current Celtics team. Believe me, I'm not rooting for them. If you're a legit. NBA fan, even though you hate Gasol and Kobe, you still know how good they are.

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

I guess it's good that he mustn't have checked this blog during the Gerald Green era...

Haha.  TP.

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Recognizes the superiority of Celtics fans. And acknowledges it in writing on the internet. Also possibly a closet Bird fan. Come over to the dark side LakersFan_33. You know you want to  ;D

Just calling it like it is. I enjoy and appreciate how good Bird, Ainge and McHale were, just in the same way that Boston fans appreciated how good Magic Johnson, Kareem, and Worthy were. Same with the current Celtics team. Believe me, I'm not rooting for them. If you're a legit. NBA fan, even though you hate Gasol and Kobe, you still know how good they are.

This is very true and makes for a better rivalry.  It's more fun to hate the other team when their really good.  And TP to you for charging into this green tinted lion's den.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You know what would be weird?  If a Celtics fan in disguise pretended to be an internet Lakers fan to bash their fan base, while boosting ours.  It would make for an interesting thread, anyway.

(I'm not saying that that is what's happening, I just think it's an interesting prism to read this thread through.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Thanks for the props (and I'll agree), but I'll stand up for some of the Laker faithful like the guy(s) behind "The Machine." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ewIkVRdEo&feature=related

Re: From a Lakers fan, Boston fans are more intelligent/passionate than Lakers f
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »

Offline KobeGotRondoD

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 27
I don't care what you think or what you say, LAKERS SUCK

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
You know what would be weird?  If a Celtics fan in disguise pretended to be an internet Lakers fan to bash their fan base, while boosting ours.  It would make for an interesting thread, anyway.

(I'm not saying that that is what's happening, I just think it's an interesting prism to read this thread through.)

You can check my IP address. I guess by that logic, you could be a Lakers fan impersonating as a Celtics fan, as well.

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
Thanks for the props (and I'll agree), but I'll stand up for some of the Laker faithful like the guy(s) behind "The Machine." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ewIkVRdEo&feature=related

It's a cute nickname, but Sasha Vujacik is a bad player with a horrible contract. He is hated by Lakers fans.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

I am saying that   ;D

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Welcome to the blog, LakerFan, and thanks for the post.

I would say that there are more band-wagon rider LA fans, but that's just my opinion.

When I've visited Silver Screen and Roll, there were some fans that could debate with me in an intelligent manner. I guess that in the hoopla that is called LA, it is easy to get caught up in the hype.