Author Topic: 2010 CB Draft: Pacific Division Press Conferences  (Read 87479 times)

2010 CB Draft: Pacific Division Press Conferences
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Pacific Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Golden State press conference: Pending

LA Clippers press conference: Pending

LA Lakers press conference: Pending

Phoenix Suns press conference:  Pending

Sacramento Kings press conference: Pending

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: 2010 CB Draft: Pacific Division Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:38:27 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

SACRAMENTO
KINGS

Kings are not born: they are made by
artificial hallucination. - George Bernard Shaw

Roster:

C: Eric Dampier / Drew Gooden / Johan Petro
PF:  Carlos Boozer / Zach Randolph
SF:  Rashard Lewis / Richard Jefferson / Jared Jeffries
SG:  Francisco Garcia / Courtney Lee / Devin Brown
PG:  Derrick Rose / Jeff Teague

Coach:  Paul Westphal

=======================================================================

PlayerPositionDraftedAgeHeightPointsReboundsAssistsBlocksStealseFG%
D. RosePG1st (17)*226'3"20.83.86.00.30.7.495
C. BoozerPF / C1st (25)296'9"19.511.23.20.51.1.562
Z. RandolphPF / C2nd (27)*296'9"20.811.71.80.41.0.494
R. LewisSF / PF3rd (26)306'10"14.14.41.50.41.1.539
C. LeeSG5th (20)*256'5"12.53.51.70.31.3.485
R. JeffersonSF5th (29)306'7"12.34.42.00.50.6.505
D. GoodenPF / C6th (15)*296'10"10.97.70.70.80.6.479
F. GarciaSG / SF6th (29)296'7"8.12.61.80.80.4.531
E. DampierC7th (2)356'11"6.07.30.61.40.3.624
J. JeffriesF / C11th (2)296'11"5.34.11.41.00.9.439
J. TeaguePG12th (25)226'2"3.20.91.70.20.5.412
J. PetroC12th (29)247'0"3.43.60.40.40.3.535
D. BrownSG / SFF/A326'5"8.02.51.30.10.7.457
* player acquired in trade

Player breakdown:

Erick Dampier:  Dampier is a very good defender at the center position, and a top notch rebounder, as well.  He ranked near the top of the league in rebound rate and FG%.  He also brings a bit of a nasty streak; you've got to appreciate a player who says:

"Every time he drives the lane, we have to put him on his back. The first foul has to tell him he's in for a long night. My first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back. I guarantee it."

Carlos Boozer:  Quite simply, one of the most productive players in the entire NBA.  He doesn't get the hype that Bosh and Amare do, but he's every bit as good as either of them.  Boozer will be the first option in most offensive sets.

Rashard Lewis:  A sharpshooter with Finals experience.  Lewis has the size to post up smaller forwards, and can easily move over to power forward when the Kings want to go small.  His ability to stretch the floor opens things up for Boozer and Rose in the starting lineup.

Francisco Garcia:  A jack of all trades SG, Garcia can shoot, penetrate, score, pass, and defend.  Injuries hampered him a bit last year, but aren't expected to linger.  Garcia is another floor-stretcher, and he can easily play some backup PG if needed.

Derrick Rose:  Shockingly, Rose is becoming underrated by many basketball fans.  He's an elite scoring PG who has carried a terrible Bulls team into playoff contention.  The last two playoff series he's played in, he's averaged 20/6/6 against a great Boston defense, and 27/3.5/7 against a very good Cleveland one.  

Zach Randolph:  The scoring and rebounding leader of the second unit.  Zach will be asked to be the centerpiece of the bench, and will see a ton of minutes in that role.  Against certain teams, he will play alongside Boozer, as both players have shown they can play center.

Richard Jefferson:  One of the premiere scoring forwards in the NBA, Jefferson has accepted a lesser role in an effort to win a championship.  He had a spotty season last year, but he's expected to bounce back to his '09 form, when he was a very good scorer, shooter, rebounder, and defender.

Courtney Lee
:  Lee is a very good defender and shooter.  He's expected to split time with Garcia, and may see some starts.  A young guy who handled himself capably on a Finals team, Lee is expected to be a key piece for the Kings.

Drew Gooden:  Another elite rebounding guy who can play center or power forward.  He's also a very good scorer, and has willingly accepted a bench role.

Jeff Teague:  A dynamic player who didn't see a lot of playing time last year, Teague looked very good in summer league.  When given a chance to start last year, he shined.

Jared Jeffries:  Simply put, one of the best defenders in the NBA.  Jeffries can defend all five positions at a very high level.  You wouldn't think a 6'10" guy could hold his own guarding Chris Paul, but that's exactly what he's done.

Johan Petro:  A tough defender and a very good rebounder.

Devin Brown:  A very good defender with a nice stroke from outside.  He made 37 starts last year.

Drafting philosophy / strategy:  Unfortunately, the Kings saw their original General Manager replaced due to inactivity, followed by that GM resuming his duties, and concluding with the Commissioner's Office taking over the team.  That led to a disjointed draft strategy at best.

I can only speak to my own involvement with the franchise, which was to put the team in the best position to succeed in the short term.  That involved picking the best player available, and trying to make smart trades.  By actively working the chat room and responding to dozens and dozens of PMs, I think I've accomplished that goal.

The team was a bit hamstrung by one poor trade, which had sacrificed a lot of the team's depth.  Because of that, it became necessary at times to draft for need a little more than I'd like.  Even after doing so, the Kings were left with a great shooting team, but one that would struggle with defense and rebounding.  However, after looking into acquiring players like Joel Pryzbilla, Nazr Mohammed, and others, the Kings finally broke through and were able to reacquire Eric Dampier, along with Zach Randolph and Drew Gooden.  This move immeasurably improved the Kings' rebounding and defense, putting them in a great position going into the press conferences.

Best moves:  My best trade was my first one, trading Josh Smith and Rudy Gay for Carlos Boozer, Tony Parker, Andrea Bargnani, and picks.  This allowed the Kings to fill their big man and point guard slots, two important positions on any contender.

The second best trade was my last one, essentially moving Bargnani and spare parts for Zach Randolph, Eric Dampier, and Drew Gooden.

Worst moves:  Assessing the worst move made by the franchise, I'd say it was trading up in the first round, only to select Rudy Gay, a guy who may have slipped until the second.

I also strongly disagreed with the decision to trade Tony Parker along with three good draft picks for Derrick Rose.  Rose is a legitimate star, and he's one of the focal points of this team.  However, it's hard to say that Rose is worth Tony Parker, J.J. Hickson, Aron Afflalo, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas (the players Lucky17 took) or Tony Parker, Jamal Crawford, Ersan Ilyasova, and Patrick Patterson (guys I would have personally been high on in those slots.)

Frequently Asked Questions:

1)  Can Zach Randolph handle coming off of the bench?

There's no doubt that Randolph has a bad reputation.  However, that reputation has generally been due to immaturity, rather than vindictiveness; his only publicized trouble with a teammate was with Ruben Patterson, a convicted sex offender.  Last year, on a very talented but young roster, he thrived, stepping up as a team leader.  He made an all-star team, and helped carry a very inexperienced Memphis team into a playoff contender.

In Sacramento, Zach will be allowed to do his thing:  score and rebound.  Much like Jamal Crawford in "real life" Atlanta, Zach won't be asked to be a player that he's not.  Instead, he'll be the leader of the second unit, and will be the focal point of the bench's scoring.  He'll end up seeing more touches off the bench than he would if he was in the starting lineup, and he should be able to exploit other teams' backup bigs.  In other words, Randolph is the early front-runner for 6th Man of the Year.

2)  Will Rashard Lewis and Richard Jefferson bounce back this year?  

Compared to their recent productivity, both Lewis and Jefferson had poor seasons.  Much of this was due to circumstance:  Lewis missed 10 games due to a failed drug test and then had to adapt to playing alongside Vince Carter, and Jefferson joined a team where he was the 4th option, a role he wasn't used to.  Both should be significantly better next year.  

3)  Can Paul Westphal coach this team?

Paul Westphal is the perfect coach for this personnel.  He's an offensive mastermind who gets players to play hard on defense.  The current Kings roster is not so far off from the 1993 Suns that Westphal took to the Finals:  it has a star power forward and an excellent penetrating point guard, and shooters on the perimeter.  Of course, in 1993 Westphal didn't have a defensive center as good as Dampier, or anybody near the talent of Randolph off the bench.  Westphal's demeanor will be a good fit, as well; he's a "player's coach" who can also come down hard when it's required, meaning that he should have some success managing Randolph.  

4)  Is Jeff Teague ready to be a backup PG?

Teague didn't play much last year in Atlanta's backcourt, but that is expected to change this year.  Teague should be starting in Atlanta by the end of the year, as he's on the rise while Bibby is declining.  Teague had a very good summer league, and last year as a starter Teague averaged 13 points / 7 assists.  In other words, this isn't a guy who should have fallen to the 12th round.

5)  What does your minutes breakdown look like?

People always ask questions like this, and I think they're silly, because you just don't know until you see how the pieces fit together.  That said, for very rough numbers, a 10 man rotation would probably look like this:

Boozer (34) / Randolph (30) / Dampier (24) / Gooden (8 )
Rashard (26) / Jefferson (22) / Garcia (26) / Lee (22)
Rose (36) / Teague (12)

On a game-to-game basis that will change, though, as there will be times when Rashard is seeing heavy minutes at PF, or where Garcia acts as a backup PG, etc.

Outlook for the 2010-11 season and beyond:

Sacramento is the only team in the league to have three thinks that it has a deep playoff team.  There's no reason that it can't beat any team in the CB-NBA in a playoff series.  The team is a good mix of youth and experience, and it has both top-line talent and solid role players.  Indeed, Sacramento is the only team in the league to have three players who were all-stars in 2009-10.  The team's strengths are rebounding and post play, but the team can also shoot and get to the hoop.  I'd say Sacramento is one of the serious contenders for a championship, and I'd personally put them #1 in the West.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:49:39 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Roy, Zach Randolph has had exactly one year where he hasn't been a complete turd in the locker room of his team and caused major internal strife for his team. That's ONE year in a nine year career. Then during the off season of that one year he was implicated in a major marijuana trafficking ring.

It could be argued that the only reason Randolph flourished last year was because he was "The Man" in Memphis. Now not only does he have to take a back seat to Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer as being "The Man" but you are telling him he has to come off the bench. Telling immature All-Star players that they can't start is one of the best ways to plant seeds of dissension in their minds.

Are we to believe that Zach Randolph, poster boy for thuggish, immature, team turmoil behavior in the NBA for 8 years is suddenly going to take this massive change from being "The Man" in Memphis to some guy off the bench in Sacramento well and not be a problem?

Because I don't see it.

And without "good" Zach in tow, I see big problems for Sactown.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Roy, Zach Randolph has had exactly one year where he hasn't been a complete turd in the locker room of his team and caused major internal strife for his team. That's ONE year in a nine year career. Then during the off season of that one year he was implicated in a major marijuana trafficking ring.

It could be argued that the only reason Randolph flourished last year was because he was "The Man" in Memphis. Now not only does he have to take a back seat to Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer as being "The Man" but you are telling him he has to come off the bench. Telling immature All-Star players that they can't start is one of the best ways to plant seeds of dissension in their minds.

Are we to believe that Zach Randolph, poster boy for thuggish, immature, team turmoil behavior in the NBA for 8 years is suddenly going to take this massive change from being "The Man" in Memphis to some guy off the bench in Sacramento well and not be a problem?

Because I don't see it.

Randolph was put into two really bad situations early in his career.  He was put on a "JailBlazers" team that had more sex offenders on it than it did leaders, and then he had the misfortune of joining Isiah's Knicks.  The Blazers obviously felt highly enough about him to give him a 6 year, $84 million deal, which in many ways was a negative for Randolph; security isn't always a good thing for young players who haven't been shown positive role models.

The only incident anybody can point to where Randolph caused internal locker room strife is when he clocked Ruben Patterson, one of the guys with the worst character in the NBA.  If punching a teammate disqualifies you as a locker room cancer, then KG is one of the biggest cancers in the NBA.  (Unlike KG, Randolph wasn't fighting because somebody showed him up.  Rather, it was to protect another teammate that Patterson went after.)

However, that's not to minimize Randolph's trangressions.  He's been a knucklehead in the past, and has done some childish, immature things.  Luckily, there are some strong leaders on this team, who will give Randolph the guidance he needs.

Also,  as noted above, the concerns about Randolph needing to be "the man" won't be as big of an issue on this team.  Like the Hawks did with Jamal Crawford, Randolph will in fact be allowed to be "the man", "the man" of the second unit.  Lastly, Randolph was able to put up good numbers, get along with teammates, and most importantly win in a very crowded, talented Memphis locker room.  He'll do the exact same thing is Sacramento.

I realize that in this game, people care more about perception than reality.  Randolph has the perception of being a locker room cancer, so it must be true, right?  I'd only submit that Randolph was a coaches selection as an all-star, and is acknowledged as the one guy on a talented Memphis team that was most responsible for their turnaround to respectability.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:50:50 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Zach Randolph is actually just misunderstood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7irrWaHTQ

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Phoenix

Roster/Minute Breakdown (Regular Season)

Center: Dwight Howard (35), Greg Monroe (5), Ed Davis (8)

Power Forward: Antawn Jamison (23), Greg Monroe (18), Ed Davis (7)

Small Forward:  John Salmons (18), Hedo Turkoglu (30)

Shooting Guard: Wes Matthews (20), John Salmons (13), Rudy Fernandez (15)

Point Guard: Baron Davis (30), Terence Williams (15), Rudy Fernandez (3)

DNP: Dominique Jones, Deshawn Stevenson, Kosta Koufos

Minute breakdown: Dwight Howard (40), John Salmons (31), Hedo Turkoglu (30), Baron Davis (30), Greg Monroe (23), Antawn Jamison (23), Wes Matthews (20), Rudy Fernandez (18), Terrence Williams (15), Ed Davis (10)

The Starting Lineup

Baron Davis, PG

Rank 10: A jump from 21st to 10th shouldn't really give anyone room for pause. It has less to do with how improved Baron was in 2009-10 (though he was) than how ruddy awful he was in 2008-09. Last season, the man's defense came and went, his shot selection from behind the arc (3.9 attempts per game while shooting just 27.7 percent) was terrible, and he still seemed to coast when the Clippers needed him most. Still, 15.3 points and eight assists and why did I rank him this high, again? Blake Griffin’s in town, Baron, let's get this together.

Kelly Dwyer, Ball Don't Lie Ranking The Point Guards 10 through No. 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-point-guards-10-through-No-1?urn=nba-263267

Wesley Matthews

(Matthews is) a versatile and hard-nosed wing in Matthews. He has quickly gained the reputation of being a gritty defender, often drawing the matchup of the opposing teams’ top scorer. Pair this along with his incessant hustle and opportunistic play…
Matthews’ defensive effort alone will get him substantial minutes for the Blazers next season, but he’s shown the ability to be an impact player on the offensive end as well. In just under 25 minutes per game last season, Matthews averaged over 9 ppg and shot 38% from downtown. He also got some extended run in the playoffs where he boosted his scoring average to 13 ppg.

Stu Holdgren, NBA Noise, Wesley Matthews signs with the Blazers

http://nbanoise.com/wesley-matthews-signs-with-the-blazers

John Salmons

Rank: 12 (based on shooting guard): I've been warning people about John Salmons' age for years, and I think he has one good John Salmons-ish year left in him. Turning 31 in December, Salmons should benefit from a full season of screens from Andrew Bogut, and his low-intensity scoring should translate for a little while. And on a team like the Bucks that struggles to score, John will be handed all the shots he can handle.

Kelly Dwyer, Ball Don't Lie, Ranking the Shooting Guards 20 through 11

Antawn Jamison

Rank 16: With Lebron James gone and the Cavaliers hurting for scoring, one would think that Antawn would be the guy to step up and step in with what could be his finest scoring season in years.
That might happen, but efficiency and defense matter here, and it's worth noting that the 34-year-old Jamison was dropping off in production even before his trade to Cleveland. Appreciate the heck out of the guy, I'd just want some more well-rounded big men on my team before him at this point.

Kelly Dwyer, Ball Don't Lie. Ranking the Power Fowards 20 through 11

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-power-forwards-20-through-11?urn=nba-264844

Dwight Howard
Rank 1: Dwight Howard pays attention to defense. He runs with a smile on his face and won't remind you of Elvin Hayes in the low post, but he is a dominant force, an MVP candidate and the best player at his position.
He also doesn't turn 25 years until December. Which just doesn't seem fair, if we're honest.

Kelly Dwyer, Ball Dont Lie. Ranking the Centers 11 through 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-centers-11-through-1?urn=nba-265548

The Rotation

Hedo Turkoglu

Rank 23:It hardly matters as if 2009-10 actually happened or not. Because while Turkoglu's drop-off wasn't really commensurate with the sort of play we'd seen from him in his career, his latter turn with Orlando was criminally overrated, and what we saw in Toronto last year (11 points, about nine combined rebounds/assists, 41 percent shooting, bad D) wasn't far off in Hedo's future anyway.

Kelly Dwyer, Ball Don't Lie. Ranking the Small Forwards 30 through 21

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-small-forwards-30-through-21?urn=nba-264012

Terrence Williams

With a 27-point, 13-rebound, 10-assist performance against the Bulls, Williams reminded everyone that the season, the record and all of the crap that the Nets went through didn’t define him. What’s more, as New Jersey descended further and further into the depths of basketball hell, Williams played more and more minutes, making the most out of the extra time and scoring in double-figures 19 times over the final 25 games of the season.

Williams is an interesting player because he can score and rebound, but also has a natural feel for the game and is a fantastic passer for an athletic 6-foot-6 guard-forward. With a bigger role this season, guidance and support from new coach Avery Johnson and room to grow, Williams is going to be a player to watch. Don’t expect a sophomore slump from this one. He’s focused after a season of complete and total disaster and he’s ready to show the basketball world all that he can do when he’s on the floor.

Holly MacKenzie, The Basketball Jones. The Slept On Files: Terrence Williams

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2010/08/19/the-slept-on-files-terrence-williams/

Rudy Fernandez

But Rudy, just by watching the guy play, seems different. There are a lot of Rudys in this league, players who aren't used properly in one fashion or another, and I think this guy could be a sterling pickup for a team that needs someone to run stuff off the bench. Or even a starter and second ball-handler. Perhaps, like — I don't know — Kirk Hinrich was in Chicago over the last two years?

Not to demand that he ends up in Cook County, but you get the picture. A starter and someone to take over on a team that can be aided by its point guard playing off the ball sometimes. Or, to take over running the show when the starting point man sits, because of the sheer amount of shoot-first backups in this league. Or just your typical mini-Manu, ham-and-egging it off the pine.

Kelly Dwyer, Ball Don't Lie. Teams Should Try To Trade for Rudy Fernandez

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Teams-should-try-to-trade-for-Rudy-Fernandez?urn=nba-259071

Greg Monroe

-RILEY (GM of the Warriors): There’s some guys that may not look as great as you watch them play, but they have such a skill that they facilitate things for everyone else. Greg Monroe is one of those guys.
-Q: Best passing big man? Or best passer no matter the position?

-RILEY: Yep. In college basketball. I don’t care who you’re talking about. Now John Wall was great, let’s don’t take that away from him. John Wall puts the ball right in people’s hands. But I’ll tell you what, Greg Monroe makes people better around him. You don’t see many big guys who facilitate or who help other people.

The operative phrase in the narration above is, "He sees this play before it occurs." That's the hallmark of a skilled big man -- acute court vision and a willingness to move the ball to the right spot on the court. If you watch film of Monroe's two seasons at Georgetown and this sort of playmaking pops up routinely.

Kevin Arnovitz, Truehoop. True Hoop Dossier: Greg Monroe

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17087/the-truehoop-dossier-greg-monroe

Ed Davis

The balance, agility and soft hands have always been there for Davis, but over the past eight days, he's displaying more assertiveness on the offensive end. Though he's still not a guy with a natural inclination to explode from the elbow like Amare Stoudemire, Davis looks much further along than the kid who finished almost exclusively in the basket area at Chapel Hill. On Saturday, Davis even buried a face-up jumper, a rare sight when he was wearing Carolina blue.

For a Toronto team that finished last in the league in defensive efficiency, though, it's Davis' presence on the opposite side of the ball that offers the most appeal. Davis moves exceptionally well against the pick-and-roll, has exquisite timing as a shot-blocker and can clean the glass.

Kevin Arnovitz, True Hoop. Day Nine, Summer League Wrap Up

DNP'rs:

Kosta Koufos, Dominique Jones, Deshawn Stevenson

Worst Decision: Mo Williams

I guess my worst decision would've been selecting Mo Williams in the 5th. At that point I was hoping to get an athletic shooting guard, though there were still a good 6-8 available and I was up in about 13. Unfortunately, all of them ran and I was forced to scramble to add that SG at a later point. Did convert Mo to Hedo though.

Best Decision: Overall Drafting Philosophy

My best decision, was no doubt forcing myself not to get too attached to certain players. This allowed me to trade back pretty frequently, moving back 10-15 picks in one round and moving up an entire round if not more in later ones. Allowing me the depth you see above.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:39:59 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Because I don't see it.

Randolph was put into two really bad situations early in his career.  He was put on a "JailBlazers" team that had more sex offenders on it than it did leaders, and then he had the misfortune of joining Isiah's Knicks.  

The only incident anybody can point to where Randolph caused internal locker room strife is when he clocked Ruben Patterson, one of the guys with the worst character in the NBA.  If punching a teammate disqualifies you as a locker room cancer, then KG is one of the biggest cancers in the NBA.  (Unlike KG, Randolph wasn't fighting because somebody showed him up.  Rather, it was to protect another teammate that Patterson went after.)

However, that's not to minimize Randolph's trangressions.  He's been a knucklehead in the past, and has done some childish, immature things.  Luckily, there are some strong leaders on this team, who will give Randolph the guidance he needs.

Also,  as noted above, the concerns about Randolph needing to be "the man" won't be as big of an issue on this team.  Like the Hawks did with Jamal Crawford, Randolph will in fact be allowed to be "the man", "the man" of the second unit.  Lastly, Randolph was able to put up good numbers, get along with teammates, and most importantly win in a very crowded, talented Memphis locker room.  He'll do the exact same thing is Sacramento.

I realize that in this game, people care more about perception than reality.  Randolph has the perception of being a locker room cancer, so it must be true, right?  I'd only submit that Randolph was a coaches selection as an all-star, and is acknowledged as the one guy on a talented Memphis team that was most responsible for their turnaround to respectability.
Roy, your "the man" on the second unit explanation doesn't fly. Anyone that has ever played organized sports knows the status difference between being a starter and a bench player and no where is that more apparent than the ultra macho world of the NBA where there are only 5 starters on a team.

Jamal Crawford worked in Atlanta because he had no other options than to keep his mouth shot and play or else be out of the league in a year. Different scenario here with Randolph who has skills that few in the league have and who someone will give an almost max contract to put up 21/11 on a starting unit.

There is just no way he accepts the "I'm the man just the man of the second team" mantra. None whatsoever.

As for his knucklehead things let's see multiple incidences of possession of marijuana, he's made obscene gestures to fans, he's been arrested for driving under the influence, he's been sued for sexual assault and while out on bereavement leave for the death of his girlfriend’s cousin, he left a strip club without paying the bill. Add to that his blow ups in the locker room in Portland that caused Brandon Roy to run to the front office and tell them to trade Randolph and Randolph's utter disdain for taking any coaching instruction or playing any defense in New York. Now his "associates" are running large amounts of marijuana out of his house using his cars and beating up patrons of a Los Angeles strip club.

Yeah, Zach Randolph should handle being "the man" on a second unit quite well.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Phoenix:

Did I just see you post these quotes in your own press conference about members of your starting lineup?

Last season, the man's defense came and went, his shot selection from behind the arc (3.9 attempts per game while shooting just 27.7 percent) was terrible, and he still seemed to coast when the Clippers needed him most.

Because while Turkoglu's drop-off wasn't really commensurate with the sort of play we'd seen from him in his career, his latter turn with Orlando was criminally overrated, and what we saw in Toronto last year (11 points, about nine combined rebounds/assists, 41 percent shooting, bad D) wasn't far off in Hedo's future anyway.

With Lebron James gone and the Cavaliers hurting for scoring, one would think that Antawn would be the guy to step up and step in with what could be his finest scoring season in years.

That might happen, but efficiency and defense matter here, and it's worth noting that the 34-year-old Jamison was dropping off in production even before his trade to Cleveland. Appreciate the heck out of the guy, I'd just want some more well-rounded big men on my team before him at this point.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I thought it best to place quotes from an unbiased standpoint. While there' knocks on them, at the end of the day their positional ranking is strong.

And I don't think I neccesarily let the cat out of the bag on Hedo's d.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:10:01 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Because I don't see it.

Randolph was put into two really bad situations early in his career.  He was put on a "JailBlazers" team that had more sex offenders on it than it did leaders, and then he had the misfortune of joining Isiah's Knicks.  

I realize that in this game, people care more about perception than reality.  Randolph has the perception of being a locker room cancer, so it must be true, right?  I'd only submit that Randolph was a coaches selection as an all-star, and is acknowledged as the one guy on a talented Memphis team that was most responsible for their turnaround to respectability.
Roy, your "the man" on the second unit explanation doesn't fly. Anyone that has ever played organized sports knows the status difference between being a starter and a bench player and no where is that more apparent than the ultra macho world of the NBA where there are only 5 starters on a team.

Jamal Crawford worked in Atlanta because he had no other options than to keep his mouth shot and play or else be out of the league in a year. Different scenario here with Randolph who has skills that few in the league have and who someone will give an almost max contract to put up 21/11 on a starting unit.

There is just no way he accepts the "I'm the man just the man of the second team" mantra. None whatsoever.

As for his knucklehead things let's see multiple incidences of possession of marijuana, he's made obscene gestures to fans, he's been arrested for driving under the influence, he's been sued for sexual assault and while out on bereavement leave for the death of his girlfriend’s cousin, he left a strip club without paying the bill. Add to that his blow ups in the locker room in Portland that caused Brandon Roy to run to the front office and tell them to trade Randolph and Randolph's utter disdain for taking any coaching instruction or playing any defense in New York. Now his "associates" are running large amounts of marijuana out of his house using his cars and beating up patrons of a Los Angeles strip club.

Yeah, Zach Randolph should handle being "the man" on a second unit quite well.

That's the only argument you have, I understand.  It's a weak one, though, in my opinion.  Crawford would have been out of the league if he didn't accept a role?  We're not talking about Stephon Marbury; Crawford was a 20 ppg scorer.  He was also seen as a knucklehead and a problem child, but he absolutely excelled.  Lots of guys who put up big numbers come off the bench; you make it sound like nobody has done it before due to "status".

Again, perception vs. reality, I guess.  Sacramento is perhaps the deepest team in the league, it has three all-stars, it's the top rebounding team in the league and probably has the best offense.  To combat that, people are going to have to say "yeah, but Zach Randolph can't play well with others, despite doing exactly that last year."

By the way, Udonis Haslem has more arrests related to marijuana this off-season than Randolph does, and Wilson Chandler has been arrested for drug crimes and has made homophobic slurs in public.  I'm assuming you're not cutting either of them?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:13:06 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
BTW, not just because he's on my team but the link to the Greg Monroe piece is pretty ineteresting. It really is stunning how good his court vision is.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
As an aside, I'm not going to say anything bad about Phoenix during this press conference.  I think we're clearly the two best teams in this division, and both are title contenders.  I like the Kings better -- and I'm sure StartOrien likes the Suns better -- but I'll save the bickering and marketing for the playoffs.  I think there's a solid argument that these could be the top two teams in the conference at the end of the season.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
2010 CB Draft: Los Angeles Lakers

First let’s meet the head coach: Mike Krzyzewski

With his experience with both young and veteran players we felt Coach K was the best choice for this Laker team.  We feel Coach K is very feel respected and will do a great job with this roster.

Now let’s meet the starting lineup:

Starting at Point Guard from Davidson: Stephen Curry

Season Averages    
Season   Team   G   GS   MPG   FG%   3p%   FT%   OFF   DEF   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TO   PF   PPG
09-10   GSW   80   77   36.2   0.462   0.437   0.885   0.6   3.9   4.5   5.9   1.9   0.2   3.0   3.2   17.5
Career       80   77   36.2   0.462   0.437   0.885   0.6   3.9   4.5   5.9   1.9   0.2   3.0   3.2   17.5

Staring at Shooting Guard from Washington: Brandon Roy

Season Averages    
Season   Team   G   GS   MPG   FG%   3p%   FT%   OFF   DEF   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TO   PF   PPG
09-10   POR   65   65   37.2   0.473   0.330   0.780   1.1   3.3   4.4   4.7   0.9   0.2   2.0   2.1   21.5
Career       274   272   37.0   0.467   0.354   0.797   1.2   3.4   4.6   5.0   1.1   0.2   2.0   2.0   20.2

Starting at Small Forward from Kentucky: Tayshaun Prince

Season Averages    
09-10   DET   49   49   34.0   0.486   0.370   0.714   1.4   3.6   5.1   3.3   0.7   0.4   1.2   1.6   13.5
Career       583   544   33.4   0.463   0.370   0.771   1.3   3.4   4.7   2.7   0.6   0.6   1.2   1.4   12.7

Starting at Power Forward from Kansas State: Michael Beasley

Season Averages    
09-10   MIA   78   78   29.8   0.450   0.275   0.800   1.6   4.8   6.4   1.3   1.0   0.6   1.7   2.8   14.8
Career       159   97   27.3   0.461   0.333   0.786   1.5   4.4   5.9   1.2   0.8   0.5   1.6   2.5   14.3

Starting at Center from Dominquez High School: Tyson Chandler

Season Averages    
09-10   CHA   51   27   22.8   0.574   0.000   0.732   2.2   4.0   6.3   0.3   0.3   1.1   1.8   2.7   6.5
Career       588   391   27.6   0.557   0.000   0.609   3.1   5.7   8.8   0.8   0.5   1.4   1.6   3.1   8.1

Let’s meet the Lakers Bench Players:

Sixth man playing Center and Power Forward from Italy: Andrea Bargnani

Season Averages    
09-10   TOR   80   80   35.0   0.470   0.372   0.774   1.3   4.8   6.2   1.2   0.3   1.4   1.5   2.7   17.2
Career       301   194   29.0   0.439   0.376   0.815   0.9   3.9   4.8   1.1   0.4   1.0   1.5   2.8   13.7

Playing Power Forward from St. Patrick’s High School: Al Harrington

Season Averages    
09-10   NYK   72   15   30.5   0.435   0.342   0.757   1.2   4.4   5.6   1.5   0.9   0.4   1.8   2.9   17.7
Career       800   441   29.9   0.448   0.355   0.730   1.7   4.2   5.8   1.8   0.9   0.3   2.0   3.2   14.1

Playing Shooting Guard/Small Forward from Mount Zion Christian Academy: Tracy McGrady

Season Averages    
09-10   NYK   24   24   26.1   0.389   0.242   0.754   0.9   2.8   3.7   3.9   0.6   0.5   1.8   1.6   9.4
09-10   HOU   6   0   7.7   0.368   0.500   0.667   0.0   0.8   0.8   1.0   0.0   0.3   0.2   0.3   3.2
09-10   --   30   24   22.4   0.387   0.250   0.746   0.7   2.4   3.1   3.3   0.5   0.5   1.5   1.3   8.2
Career       814   664   34.6   0.435   0.337   0.749   1.5   4.5   6.0   4.7   1.3   0.9   2.3   1.9   21.5

Playing Small Forward/Shooting Guard from DePaul: Quentin Richardson

Season Averages    
09-10   MIA   76   75   27.4   0.431   0.397   0.732   0.8   4.1   4.9   1.2   0.9   0.2   0.8   2.2   8.9
Career       677   464   28.0   0.400   0.359   0.714   1.3   3.7   5.0   1.6   0.8   0.2   1.2   2.0   11.2

Playing Point Guard from Texas: D.J. Augustin

Season Averages    
09-10   CHA   80   2   18.4   0.386   0.393   0.779   0.1   1.1   1.2   2.4   0.6   0.1   0.9   1.6   6.3
Career       152   14   22.2   0.412   0.420   0.852   0.2   1.3   1.5   2.9   0.6   0.0   1.3   1.8   8.9

Playing Center from Lithuania: Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Season Averages    
09-10   CLE   64   6   20.9   0.443   0.478   0.743   1.8   3.6   5.4   0.8   0.2   0.8   1.0   2.9   7.4
Career       771   673   28.3   0.475   0.310   0.780   3.0   4.6   7.7   1.2   0.5   1.6   1.9   3.4   13.8

Let’s meet the Lakers Veteran Inactive Players

Point Guard from Missouri: Keyon Dooling

Season Averages    
09-10   NJN   53   8   18.3   0.398   0.376   0.770   0.2   0.9   1.0   2.5   0.6   0.0   1.1   1.5   6.9
Career       595   62   19.6   0.418   0.351   0.798   0.2   1.2   1.4   2.2   0.7   0.1   1.1   1.7   7.2

Center from Texas Tech: Tony Battie

Season Averages    
09-10   NJN   15   0   8.9   0.350   0.250   0.700   0.3   1.3   1.5   0.2   0.3   0.1   0.2   1.3   2.4
Career       772   418   22.0   0.490   0.143   0.690   1.8   3.6   5.3   0.6   0.5   0.9   0.9   2.7   6.4

Projected Minutes Rotation

PG Curry(36) Augustin(12)
SG Roy(38) McGrady(10)
SF Prince(30) Richardson(12) Harrington(6)
PF Beasley(30) Bargnani(10) Harrington(8
C  Chandler(30) Bargnani(12) Ilgauskas(6)
DNP: Dooling, Battie

Starting Lineup Reasoning
The Curry and Roy backcourt will be a force to reckon with.  The majority of the scoring from the starters will come from these two players.  Curry and Roy’s games complement each other very well and they will be a terrific duo.  Prince and Chandler are going to be counted on more for their great defense and Prince will be the third option offensively.  Beasley is the wild card in the starting lineup and we hope he we be efficient offensively and defensively and focus on rebounding.  We feel the influence of Coach K will do great things for the young Michael Beasley.

Bench Reasoning
Andrea Bargnani will be the sixth man for the Lakers and the offense will go through him when he’s out there.  Al Harrington will be the second scoring option off the bench.  Both Harrington and Bargnani average 17ppg last year and we have no doubts that the bench will put up points.  McGrady is the wild card for the bench and we hope that he does indeed prove the haters wrong this year and is at least a shadow of his former self.  Augustin will be the backup point guard and we feel he has a great future ahead of him with the guidance of Coach K.  Richardson and Ilgauskas both provide toughness off the bench and a veteran presence.   Having two solid veterans to fill out this Laker roster was important with the signings of Battie and Dooling.

Overall Outlook
The Lakers are a team constructed with a great blend of young and veteran star caliber players as well as important older veterans.  We feel that Coach K. is the perfect man to guide this team on a deep playoff run.  There is no doubt that this team is loaded with talent and scoring weapons.   Defensively we feel that this team is average with only a few players that a great defensively.  There is always room for improvement for all of our players.  The Lakers should be a very competitive team in the western conference that provides a challenge to opponents every night.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:34:06 AM by celticpride07 »
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I actually really like what the lakers have going on.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Is it me, or does Tony Battie appear to be holding on for life in the above picture?