Author Topic: Jamal Crawford to ask for trade...  (Read 10809 times)

Re: Jamal Crawford to ask for trade...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
We're supposed to feel sorry for a professional athlete who's salary this year should be enough for life (for several families)?

Please

Who said anything about feeling bad for him?

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 10:58:58 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
We're supposed to feel sorry for a professional athlete who's salary this year should be enough for life (for several families)?

Please

Who said anything about feeling bad for him?

exactly. Jamal Crawford and Carmelo Anthony or Latrell Sprewell aren't in the same boat there. Melo got offered an extension but declined it. Sprewell got offered a contract by the Wolves and declined it citing that his family had to eat. That's pathetic. Crawford was looking for an extension and got declined. I don't blame guys for trying to cash in (like Posey) especially with the impending lockout and when they're not seen as franchise players. And i don't blame guys for looking for an extension of their contracts if that means long term security for them.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I can't believe that an employee, dissatisfied with the lack of a clear future with his employer would use one of his few recourses to assure that future. OUTRAGEOUS!

TP.  It's funny that people can't even put themselves in these player's shoes for a second.  If this was your job, you'd want a situation where you had some long term security, especially when your lively hood depends on your body.

It's not like anyone can do the job these players do, they are extremely talented and I'd say it's tougher to get into the NBA than it is any professional league due to roster sizes, positional needs, height requirements, and how long players are in the league.  If millions and millions of dollars are being made in the NBA, players deserve some of that money.  They are the league.  I'd rather have them make more money than some of these scheister owners who rip off the fans.

I'm not saying sometimes players aren't selfish and are also sometimes very mercenary in their approaches, but how people criticize players for looking out for their finances (especially when their could be a lockout) is pretty silly.  These guys have a very limited window of time in which they can compete at a high level, so they are trying to maximize their money during that time.  I completely understand that mentality.

And I do not feel sorry for them, I just understand.  It's common sense.

But seriously, Crawford is not a guy I want on my team. Sure, when he's hot he's "unstoppable", but that's the same with everyone in the league.

Strange statement.  I think some NBA players are a lot more unstoppable than others... and for longer periods at a time.  Scal wishes what you said was true.

Crawford is a great 6th man.  If you want an instant offense guy off your bench, there is no better.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:48:10 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Crawford is a great 6th man.  If you want an instant offense guy off your bench, there is no better.

I agree with Snakehead - he was phenomenal against the Celtics last season (18, 18, 17, 28 pts).

18 ppg in 31 mpg, 38+% from three-pt range, 1 stlpg, 3 ast pg - good player.

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Crawford, who is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $10 million this season, approached the Hawks the first week of July about an extension. But Atlanta general manager Rick Sund has not made Crawford an offer.

The sides are scheduled to meet next week and if the Hawks do not make Crawford an offer he considers reasonable, he will ask to be traded, according to sources. Crawford is looking for a three- or four-year extension worth about the same annual amount he will make this season.
He is delusional ... asking for $10-11 million a season.

Crawford is worth half of that. Maybe $7 million a year if he can consistently repeat his career season from last year over the course of his contract.

It's true, even $7 million is expensive. At this stage in his career he's an MLE player on the open market at best.

No way! if ray allen is worth $10 million, Crawford is definitely worth at least $10mill. He's in the prime of his career and when he's hot he's unstoppable... easily one of the best offensive players in the league. i would trade ray allen for him in a heartbeat. I know there's the issue of defense but for what it's worth, we'd be trading for a valuable piece right now and for the future because he's young and the upside is better than the down which we cannot say the same about ray. trade him danny. do work.

THE SALARIES MATCH UP TOO! STR8 UP TRADE!

Cmon Man... U want Jamal Crawford to be our starting 2 guard over Ray Allen?

dont get what use we have for Crawford, and dont see how he fits with out starting lineup...as far as rebuilding, its pretty clear they decided they werent going that route with the re-signing of paul and ray and additions of the Oneals..and how exactly would he fit with rondo?

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

I agree with Snakehead - he was phenomenal against the Celtics last season (18, 18, 17, 28 pts).

The celtics already have instant offense of their bench
I dont even get the point in talking about this guy when we have nate robinson....what, do we wanna be the knicks?

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I dont even get the point in talking about this guy when we have nate robinson....what, do we wanna be the knicks?
Crawford is much better than Nate.

Which isn't saying much over their careers, blech.

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 02:27:18 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I can't believe that an employee, dissatisfied with the lack of a clear future with his employer would use one of his few recourses to assure that future. OUTRAGEOUS!
There really isn't much he can do. He is under contract for this year. He needs to play it out to the best of his ability, regardless of whether anyone thinks he is worth an extension.

This is not a guy who has been underpaid throughout his career. He has been paid at least what he is worth. He is a one dimensional player. He can score, and has been overpaid plenty for that skill as scorers tend to be.

The way you get an extension offer in the NBA is by making yourself valuable. I do not agree with the idea that it is his prerogative to seek security. Security is gained by earning contracts, not by throwing tantrums. If he is such a valuable player, teams will be lined up to sign him to a good deal or trade for him. This is a player complaining because he is out of touch with his real value.

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I don't think Crawford is a lot better than Nate.  His height helps him get his shot off easier, but by the end of last year Nate was playing great physical defense, and when I saw Crawford, he was still letting guys get by him like he wasn't even there.  They are pretty equivalent in point guard skills.  Crawford may be a tiny bit better overall, but I think it's  pretty close.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 08:35:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I don't think Crawford is a lot better than Nate.  His height helps him get his shot off easier, but by the end of last year Nate was playing great physical defense, and when I saw Crawford, he was still letting guys get by him like he wasn't even there.  They are pretty equivalent in point guard skills.  Crawford may be a tiny bit better overall, but I think it's  pretty close.
Nate was playing with a lot of dumb hustle last year, but defensively he still was a liability.

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Nate was playing with a lot of dumb hustle last year, but defensively he still was a liability.

In the playoffs he played some legit D at moments.  When he had his big impact it was at both the offensive and defensive end, which I loved personally.  He did a good job disrupting the PG from getting into the offense.

Still, both are comperable defenders, though I think Nate gets in passing lanes better, and Crawford is a better scorer.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, he played with the big baby style of diving for balls he had no shot at retrieving when we first got him.  But by the time the playoffs ended his pick and roll defense was outstanding- even better than Rondo's.  Of course Nate had the benefit of fresh legs, but he was playing both fundamental and intense.

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah, he played with the big baby style of diving for balls he had no shot at retrieving when we first got him.  But by the time the playoffs ended his pick and roll defense was outstanding- even better than Rondo's.  Of course Nate had the benefit of fresh legs, but he was playing both fundamental and intense.
His pick and roll defense outstanding? When, what games?

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 08:49:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

His pick and roll defense outstanding? When, what games?
For the entire playoffs. 

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 09:09:26 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Crawford, Bibby, and Josh Smith for Carmelo and Billups works, and doesn't seem too unreasonable for either team. Obviously it's better for Atlanta, but is Denver going to do better than Josh Smith on a reasonable contract in exchange for Carmelo?

No, and Bibby off the bench is not a bad situation for Denver.
I love that trade.  Denver probably won't get a better deal.  Initially I was thinking Marvin Williams instead of Bibby, but his contract is actually pretty terrible. 

The Hawks would be a pretty formidable team:
Billups/Teague
Johnson/Evans
Melo/Evans
Horford/Powell
Zaza/Collins

They would really only need 1 backup wing since JJ and Melo would get so many minutes.

I would like the matchups with Miami too.  This would be the trade that would put Atlanta right into title contention.  And it would also free up the PF spot for Horford.  He's already an All Star at the center position, he'd be even better at the four.