Author Topic: music: binge listening  (Read 3276 times)

music: binge listening
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
ok, random topic here but I just wanted to see if I'm odd or (reasonably) normal

frequently I'll find a band that I enjoy listening to and I get so into their stuff so much that I listen to it constantly for about 3 or 4 days (sometimes more)

then sometime in the next week or so I am so sick of it I can't even listen to it anymore for at least a few months and by then it is kinda stale to me

so, am I nuts?  or does this happen to you?

p.s. I'm pretty sure one of my college roomates hates Dave Matthews to this day because of I played it so much one week ;)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: music: binge listening
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Not as much as it used to, but absolutely.  It can be even more of a feverish type of thing when it ends up being one song.

I remember driving back from Amherst late one night and playing this one repeatedly.  Listening to it now for the first time in a really long time. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJYc3hWY1yo 

But yeh.  Music can coinsume.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I get on kicks where every time i put on music I'll include a certain band for a couple weeks at a time, but I can't just continuously listen to only one band for days at a time.  I can't even listen to one style of music for a whole day.  I need variety.  I think I would hate Dave Mathews too if I heard it constantly for a week.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I do the exact same thing Jeff... I jump between different genres. I will listen to Nirvana for a month straight and nothing but, and I will find rap unlistenable... then out of nowhere I will go on a Geto Boys kick and find that I can't go near any alternative.

I drove to the Cape with a buddy a few years back and listened to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHl-P_arVA over and over the entire time...

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I do the exact same thing Jeff... I jump between different genres. I will listen to Nirvana for a month straight and nothing but, and I will find rap unlistenable... then out of nowhere I will go on a Geto Boys kick and find that I can't go near any alternative.

I drove to the Cape with a buddy a few years back and listened to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHl-P_arVA over and over the entire time...
At least you picked an awesome song for your trip.  Love it!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
so, am I nuts?

Sorry, can't vouch for your sanity  ;)

does this happen to you?
Yes.  Depending on the awesomeness of the band/album it can be a continuous rotation of days or weeks .. Black Crowes is the current .. Feist's The Reminder before that. Sometimes I'll just have a metal phase which can last for months! Or 70's Soul or Steely Dan ..
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
ok, random topic here but I just wanted to see if I'm odd or (reasonably) normal

frequently I'll find a band that I enjoy listening to and I get so into their stuff so much that I listen to it constantly for about 3 or 4 days (sometimes more)

then sometime in the next week or so I am so sick of it I can't even listen to it anymore for at least a few months and by then it is kinda stale to me

I have a similar quirk. I have a fair amount of music stored on my computer (125+ cds) and I only put the songs I really want to hear on my mp3 player (250-350 songs). The number of songs I have on my mp3 goes up a little but has held pretty steady in the time my cd collection has more than doubled.

I'll listen to a different type of music (not rock to rap to jazz but different spots on the rock spectrum), but the range of music I listen to doesn't really widen, I just lose my taste for the music that's probably the most different that what I'm currently listening to. So listening to different kinds of music doesn't seem to widen the spectrum of music I listen to, it just shifts the spectrum.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
1500 CDs I have all real none on Computer.  I think MP3 and computers are a joke for music listening.  Give me a reciever/amp and some speakers anyday over little speakers or wimpy headphones.
I mean nirvana would not even sound good on little speakers or headphones.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

so, am I nuts?  or does this happen to you?

p.s. I'm pretty sure one of my college roomates hates Dave Matthews to this day because of I played it so much one week ;)

I'm definitely the same way, and more specifically, I'll get that way with a particular song.  I'll hear something new and it will just strike me in some way and over the next week or so I can listen to non-stop.  Then after a little while I get so used to it that when it comes on I can barely listen to it without skipping over to the next track.  (In fact this is happening to me currently with a few songs of Atmosphere's new album "when life gives you lemons."  I can't get enough of them but pretty soon they will be worn out.)

Probably not the healthiest way to enjoy music...

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

Apparently after Cobane finished this song he was urged to do an encore by the crowd and even his fellow bandmates.  He did not however, because he knew that nothing would be able to top that final track.  You can tell he gave his all to that song.

BTW, this unplugged album was the cd that I was playing non-stop, over and over again, just about two months ago.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:53:15 PM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
This is when you turn on Pandora or lastfm or Grooveshark. They do a good job tailoring a radio station based on your taste. A great tool to discover new music.