Author Topic: J.R. Smith on the Trading Block  (Read 9593 times)

J.R. Smith on the Trading Block
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Source: J.R. Smith on Trading Block
By Chris Tomasson

The news isn't surprising considering J.R. Smith has lost his biggest supporter with the Denver Nuggets.

A source close to the situation said the Nuggets are looking to trade the erratic Smith, who is entering the final year of a contract that will pay the shooting guard $6.03 million.

There have been trade rumors before about Smith since he joined the Nuggets in 2006, but they have lacked validity since Mark Warkentien, once Denver's vice president of basketball operations, was adamant about not trading Smith. But Warkentien's contract was not renewed earlier this month and Smith's biggest supporter was gone. It was Warkentien who acquired Smith in 2006 from Chicago for the low price of two second-round picks and the non-guaranteed contract of Howard Eisley, who was waived.

It might be a surprise if Smith is still with the Nuggets past the February trade deadline. The Nuggets might not want to risk losing him for nothing as a free agent next summer and he has yet to show enough in his time with Denver for team officials to believe he deserves a lucrative new contract.

Smith finished second in voting in 2008-09 for the Sixth Man Award but he regressed last season. While his scoring average went up slightly to 15.4 points per game, he shot just 41.4 percent, including 33.8 percent from three-point range.

Smith has butted heads regularly with Nuggets coach George Karl, but in Game 6 of last spring's 4-2 first-round playoff loss to Utah, Karl was not with the team due to a form of throat cancer. With assistant Adrian Dantley in charge, Smith sat at the end of the bench late in the season finale and sulked.

For now Denver's higher priorities are finding at least one front office replacement for Warkentien and vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman -- also let go earlier this month -- and figuring out the Carmelo Anthony situation. Anthony has yet to decide if he will sign a three-year, $64.7 million contract extension that ıs on the table, and the Nuggets are pondering what they might want to do if Anthony continues to stall or decides against the offer.

But Smith is on the trading block. And Warkentien is no longer around to push for him to stay.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/22/nuggets-looking-to-trade-j-r-smith/

Re: J.R. Smith on the Trading Block
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I do think he's a guy the vets on our squad could reel in, but is he a long term player, probably not...does he fill a role more needed than what Baby brings (which contract wise is really the only way to make it work) - maybe... interesting
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
i haven't checked how old he is, his salary or his stats but i do know he's an amazing talent. headcase, no doubt. he chucks a bunch of 3's and isn't really known for playing defense. But very talented and athletic who can get his shot off the dribble. Hopefully DA is looking into this! If they think they can get him to play D, then this guy is starter talent coming off the bench.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:01 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
He's pretty much a 6-6 or 6-7 Nate Robinson. By that I mean he's an athletic spark plug that shoots pretty well. Shoot's a pretty low percentage, though. Not the model of efficiency, then again neither is Nate.

Probably worth kicking the tires on this one, though.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Get him! Could be the future with Rondo! Great talent in two years he could be a very great scorer next to Rondo! Please get him!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:29:27 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Richman's Von Wafer.

Denver Nuggets is going the same direction Cavaliers went to appease the Diva. We all know how that one ended. Don't commit the same mistake, and hang on to JR.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:07:26 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not interested. Don’t really want all that Young Money crap on my team. I’m a fan of all those guys, and him... but i really don’t want that.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:16:40 AM »

Offline PutBackDunk

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
We have no shot anyway. He's obviously only on the block because Denver is trying to get someone good enough to entice Melo to sign the extension.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:25:08 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1695
A month ago, I would have loved to have him.  Now, not so much - I think we already have enough chuckers on our bench.  As it is, Marquis is the only one who projects to be in the rotation who I wouldn't consider a shoot-first, pass-second player.  Adding JR to that mix would make it even more imbalanced.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This would be the most amazing option for the 6th man of our bench. He is a 6th man of the year contender every year... Too bad we have no shot at him. What would we trade? Big Baby and Perk? Denver says no to that unfortunately.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:44 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3064
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This would be the most amazing option for the 6th man of our bench. He is a 6th man of the year contender every year... Too bad we have no shot at him. What would we trade? Big Baby and Perk? Denver says no to that unfortunately.
hell we would probably say no to that too, hes not worth Perk and Baby
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 06:12:57 AM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

JR would be a great fit for Boston, is a player who revolutionized the games, a great three-point shooter and an athletic player.
Boston should try to sign a JR, he would fit perfectly on this team.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 07:38:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
The Nuggets might still consider a package based around Glen Davis if they are worried enough about Kenyon Martin's injury situation.

It would be a very bad decision to trade JR Smith. They won't get comparable value for him. They are better off giving him more responsibility and minutes by moving him into the starting lineup and seeing how he and the rest of the team responds to that before trying to trade him.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
J.R. would be best in a role like Manu Ginobili - third best player, highest scorer, protected on defense. Get the ball, score the ball.

Boston would not be a good fit.

He would be great on a team with Dwight Howard and Deron Williams. The Bucks could have used him prior to the Maggette deal.

He does not blend with Carmello because they do the same thing - get the ball, score the ball. They are redundant.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Nuggets might still consider a package based around Glen Davis if they are worried enough about Kenyon Martin's injury situation.

It would be a very bad decision to trade JR Smith. They won't get comparable value for him. They are better off giving him more responsibility and minutes by moving him into the starting lineup and seeing how he and the rest of the team responds to that before trying to trade him.
I would like to make a trade like that, but with Ray Allen here can Smith be happy/effective?