Author Topic: Who Should be in the HOF?  (Read 21989 times)

Who Should be in the HOF?
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The Hall of Fame induction yesterday and the thread about all time starting 5's got me thinking, now that DJ is in the Hall, who else deserves to be in? To me, they actually have a lack of NBA stars and seem to have way too many coaches, international players and female stars.

I'll mention Bernard King and Artis Gilmore to get the ball rolling.

Re: Who Should be in the HOF?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Dennis Rodman

JoJo White

Spencer Haywood,

Marques Johnson,

George McGinnis,

Mel Daniels

(Agreed on Gilmore and King, too.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Pippen

Horry (when eligible)  No accident that he was on so many championship teams.

Hall should be for champions.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Oh, and Mitch Richmond.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If you are selecting Artis Gilmore for his ABA playing days i agree but he was not a superstar or even a star player in the NBA.His numbers are good but he was not a dominating player in the NBA.He actually was a disappointment to the Bulls in a sense because he did not play up to the expectations they wanted.Ask some older NBA&Bulls fans who witnessed in those days,as i did.He doesn't belong in the NBA HOF(imo).

He didn't get the nickname "Sleeping Giant"for no reason.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
If you are selecting Artis Gilmore for his ABA playing days i agree but he was not a superstar or even a star player in the NBA.His numbers are good but he was not a dominating player in the NBA.He actually was a disappointment to the Bulls in a sense because he did not play up to the expectations they wanted.Ask some older NBA&Bulls fans who witnessed in those days,as i did.He doesn't belong in the NBA HOF(imo).

I would agree if it was the NBA HOF; he had a good but not great NBA career.  However, since it's the Basketball HOF, I think Gilmore needs to be recognized.  He was an amazing player in the ABA, and had a pretty good college career, too.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

I would agree if it was the NBA HOF; he had a good but not great NBA career.  However, since it's the Basketball HOF, I think Gilmore needs to be recognized.  He was an amazing player in the ABA, and had a pretty good college career, too.
RH,whats your opinion on Yao Ming's chances of getting into the basketball HOF after he retires,based on what he's already done plus whatever he does in the next few seasons?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:04:09 PM by housecall »

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I mentioned Artis for his collegiate, ABA and to lesser extent NBA career. I think he's worthy.

Jo Jo is another overlooked guy. I agree on Rodman. Haywood is it for his career or his overall impact?

How about Mullin?

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Horry (when eligible)  No accident that he was on so many championship teams.

....or just incredible dumb luck. If you let Horry in, we have to start talking about the Kukoc's, Cassell's, Fisher's and Kerr's of the world. No thanks.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
I'm interested in a credible argument for Dennis Rodman. He was the best rebounder in the league and a good defender but anemic on the offensive end. Was he ever a top-20 player in the NBA during his time? I don't think so. He was a great role player....I don't think that's HOF worthy, even if you do dominate on the boards.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I would agree if it was the NBA HOF; he had a good but not great NBA career.  However, since it's the Basketball HOF, I think Gilmore needs to be recognized.  He was an amazing player in the ABA, and had a pretty good college career, too.
RH,whats your opinion on Yao Ming's chances of getting into the basketball HOF after he retires,based on what he's already done plus whatever he does in the next few seasons?

As of this moment, I think you have to leave Yao out.  His biggest claim to fame is that he helped make the game more popular in China.  Otherwise, he's been a very good center who has been slowed down by injuries.  He's only been to the playoffs four times, never making it out of the second round.  He's never been in the top-five in the NBA in points, rebounds, or blocks, and has never placed higher than 12th for MVP.  He doesn't have a great international or college career to help get him over the hump.

Yao has decent stats (19/9) but I personally wouldn't vote him in at this point.  However, it wouldn't shock me if he did get voted in, due to his popularity and his status as the first great Asian player in the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I'm interested in a credible argument for Dennis Rodman. He was the best rebounder in the league and a good defender but anemic on the offensive end. Was he ever a top-20 player in the NBA during his time? I don't think so. He was a great role player....I don't think that's HOF worthy, even if you do dominate on the boards.

Rodman is arguably the best rebounder of all-time (certainly, top-five), and was not a good, but a great, defender.  He played on five championship teams, and was an important piece for each of them.

Why are one dimensional players like Dominique Wilkins, Adrian Dantley, or Reggie Miller (all of whom could score, but didn't do much else) good enough for the Hall of Fame, but a two-dimensional guy (defense and rebounding) like Rodman doesn't get consideration?  Is it because offense is sexier than defense?

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
Why are one dimensional players like Dominique Wilkins, Adrian Dantley, or Reggie Miller (all of whom could score, but didn't do much else) good enough for the Hall of Fame, but a two-dimensional guy (defense and rebounding) like Rodman doesn't get consideration?  Is it because offense is sexier than defense?

The HOF doesn't reward great players - it rewards great careers. Reggie/Nique got in, not just because they could score, but because they did it at a high level for a long time. Was Reggie a great player in a vacuum? I think that's debatable. Was he able to maintain his level of consistent production for a longtime to accumulate numbers? Yes - and that's why he's in the HOF.

Also, Reggie wasn't a one-dimensional player. Nique either. To be able to score like he did, with his size, is difficult. He did it with more than a three-point-shot, other wise, he'd be Steve Kerr.

Aside from that fact - can you make a credible argument that Rodman was ever a top-20 player in the NBA? Maybe - but it is probably indisputable that Miller/Nique were always top-20 in their primes in the league.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
Rodman made two All-Star teams in his career and won 2 DPOY's. Made 2 All-NBA teams (3rd team). He's 10th all time in career rebounds per-game and 22nd all time in total. I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing a player dominant in one facet of the game that was never one of the premier players in the game.

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rodman isn't in the Hall of Fame because of his off the court antics. No other reason.