Author Topic: Who Should be in the HOF?  (Read 22091 times)

Re: Who Should be in the HOF?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Haywood is it for his career or his overall impact?

Both.  On the court, he distinguished himself in the Olympics, in college, in the ABA, and in the NBA (albeit to a slightly lesser extent).  Then, off the court, he was a pioneer in terms of allowing underclassmen to enter the draft.

How about Mullin?

I'd vote for Mullin, too.  There are so many coaches and contributors in the Hall now that I'm all for balancing things by letting some of the borderline guys in.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
No disrespect to Drazin Petrovic, he doesnt belong in the hall of fame. They pass on Artis Gilmore every year it sad. He may not been that so call elite star you guys reference alot, but those numbers are off the charts. Both ABA/NBA he should be in but Petrovic got in, what are his credentials? I'm sure there are more who shouldn't be in before Artis. Tragic Tragic Tragic...

Petrovic was probably the best European player of all-time, and unlike Yao, he *did* have a stellar international track record.  To quote one of our Croatian members:

I'm from Croatia and i was blessed to watch majority of Dražen Petrović games in Croatia and Europe. In early 80-ties basketball league of former Yugoslavia was the best league after NBA. Dražen or "Petro" make a team by 17th birthsday. Next year, only 18 years old he won league title with 2 free throws with no time left in deciding games. Won bronze in LA, silver in Seul and Barcelona. Won two euroleague titles with Cibona Zagreb, with former Yugoslavia won World and European Championchips. In golden era great players in Europe (Arvidas Sabonis, Nikos Galis, Oscar Schmidt, San Epifanio, Antonelo Riva, Dorron Jamschy, Toni Kukoć, Dino Radja, Vlade Divac...) Petro was the best. From Croatia goes to Spain to Real Madrid, in Eurocup final 1989. Oscar Schmidt scores 47 points, but Real won because Petro scored 62.
In one Euroleague game versus italian club Simac (111-95 Cibona win) he scored 47 points (19/24 FG) and 30 asists. Of 111 Cibona points 107 was his points or asists. Coach of Simac, US Dan Peterson said after "this guy can play with Bird in Boston or Magic in LA". When Portland select him in 1986. draft Petro said "i was hoping it was Boston, there apriciate white players".
In European Championchips 1989. he won gold with 30,0ppg (76% FG, 70% 3pts!!!, 95% FT), 6,0apg and 2,5 spg.
He scored game high 24 points of Barcelona final vs Dream Team against Jordan and Drexler...
With Nets scored 44 against Rockets and 39 against Celtics...
He was true basketball pioneer. Portland coach Rick Adelman didnt see his talent but after he saw how good Petro become in New Jersey  Adelman had in Sacramento 3-4 european players...
Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojaković...all of them have Petro as rolle model...
I love Ray Allen, but if we had Dražen Petrović circa 1988-93 in final vs Lakers we would won banner 18.
Dražen Petrović is greatest European player of all-time, one of the greatest shooters of all-time and deserving HOF-er.
Peace.

Since it's the Basketball HOF, Petrovic belongs in there, in my opinion.

No disrepect Mr. Hobb Petrovic belongs in the Baketball International Hall of Fame But not in the NBA Hall of Fame. They send him in and not Artis Gilomore something is wrong. The numbers speak for themselves.

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No disrespect to Drazin Petrovic, he doesnt belong in the hall of fame. They pass on Artis Gilmore every year it sad. He may not been that so call elite star you guys reference alot, but those numbers are off the charts. Both ABA/NBA he should be in but Petrovic got in, what are his credentials? I'm sure there are more who shouldn't be in before Artis. Tragic Tragic Tragic...

Petrovic was probably the best European player of all-time, and unlike Yao, he *did* have a stellar international track record.  To quote one of our Croatian members:

I'm from Croatia and i was blessed to watch majority of Dražen Petrović games in Croatia and Europe. In early 80-ties basketball league of former Yugoslavia was the best league after NBA. Dražen or "Petro" make a team by 17th birthsday. Next year, only 18 years old he won league title with 2 free throws with no time left in deciding games. Won bronze in LA, silver in Seul and Barcelona. Won two euroleague titles with Cibona Zagreb, with former Yugoslavia won World and European Championchips. In golden era great players in Europe (Arvidas Sabonis, Nikos Galis, Oscar Schmidt, San Epifanio, Antonelo Riva, Dorron Jamschy, Toni Kukoć, Dino Radja, Vlade Divac...) Petro was the best. From Croatia goes to Spain to Real Madrid, in Eurocup final 1989. Oscar Schmidt scores 47 points, but Real won because Petro scored 62.
In one Euroleague game versus italian club Simac (111-95 Cibona win) he scored 47 points (19/24 FG) and 30 asists. Of 111 Cibona points 107 was his points or asists. Coach of Simac, US Dan Peterson said after "this guy can play with Bird in Boston or Magic in LA". When Portland select him in 1986. draft Petro said "i was hoping it was Boston, there apriciate white players".
In European Championchips 1989. he won gold with 30,0ppg (76% FG, 70% 3pts!!!, 95% FT), 6,0apg and 2,5 spg.
He scored game high 24 points of Barcelona final vs Dream Team against Jordan and Drexler...
He was true basketball pioneer. Portland coach Rick Adelman didnt see his talent but after he saw how good Petro become in New Jersey  Adelman had in Sacramento 3-4 european players...
I love Ray Allen, but if we had Dražen Petrović circa 1988-93 in final vs Lakers we would won banner 18.
Dražen Petrović is greatest European player of all-time, one of the greatest shooters of all-time and deserving HOF-er.
Peace.

No disrepect Mr. Hobb Petrovic belongs in the Baketball International Hall of Fame But not in the NBA Hall of Fame. They send him in and not Artis Gilomore something is wrong. The numbers speak for themselves.
The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA, the Hall of Fame that just inducted the Dream Team and Pippen and Malone is a basketball Hall of Fame and not inclusive to just NBA players. College and international basketball is also taken into consideration for induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Therefore, Drazen Petrovic, probably one of the 2 or 3 greatest international players ever, is extremely deserving of being in it.

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Peace.

Like nick said, the Hall of Fame is a "basketball" Hall of Fame.  International basketball, college basketball, women's basketball, ABA basketball, and NBA basketball are all represented.

Ironically enough, if you only look at Gilmore's NBA career, he probably doesn't belong, either.  He had a good but not great run in the NBA, averaging 17/10 for his career (and 12/8 in the playoffs).  However, in the ABA, he was All-ABA five times, was ABA rookie of the year, won a playoff MVP, and won a title.  Take all of that off of his resume', and he's not really even in the conversation for the NBA HOF.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Some good points on Haywood, Roy. He's one of those guys who gets forgotten. To me, they need to put in Haywood, Gilmore, White, Rodman, King and Mullin. To many excellent NBAers that aren't in.

Oh and Petrovic deserves to be in.

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Peace.

Like nick said, the Hall of Fame is a "basketball" Hall of Fame.  International basketball, college basketball, women's basketball, ABA basketball, and NBA basketball are all represented.

Ironically enough, if you only look at Gilmore's NBA career, he probably doesn't belong, either.  He had a good but not great run in the NBA, averaging 17/10 for his career (and 12/8 in the playoffs).  However, in the ABA, he was All-ABA five times, was ABA rookie of the year, won a playoff MVP, and won a title.  Take all of that off of his resume', and he's not really even in the conversation for the NBA HOF.

So the same can be said about Drazen too?

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Peace.

So the same can be said about Drazen too?

Meaning that Drazen wouldn't make it into an NBA HOF?  There's no way he would.  He never made an All-Star team (although he was All-NBA once).  He doesn't have the NBA credentials, without his international track record.

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 11:49:08 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm interested in a credible argument for Dennis Rodman. He was the best rebounder in the league and a good defender but anemic on the offensive end. Was he ever a top-20 player in the NBA during his time? I don't think so. He was a great role player....I don't think that's HOF worthy, even if you do dominate on the boards.
Definitely a top 20 player for several years.  Rodman's game was Bill Russellesque.  He did all the dirty work that let the stars shine and produced championships.

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 01:26:20 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Pippen

Horry (when eligible)  No accident that he was on so many championship teams.

Hall should be for champions.
I guess that means Fisher gets in?

Horry was on so many championship teams because the teams wanted to pick up a role player. Doesn't make him hall of fame worthy.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Horry should be in too.

What I think separates Horry from a guy like Fisher is Horry did it on 3 different teams, so it looks less like luck.

Only 9 guys have won 7 or more championships, 8 of them were on the 60's Celtics, the other one is Horry.  If Fisher gets up to 7, I might consider him too (but probably not).

I don't think all role players should get in, but I would let the best role player ever in, and Horry has some of the best credentials to be considered the best role player ever.  And not many players, whether role player or star, has hit more clutch shots than Horry.

If you want to call it luck, that's cool, but I wouldn't have a problem letting somebody who was consistently lucky over his career and is probably the luckiest players ever in.  Luckiest player ever I'd put in, all others who were just pretty lucky I'd leave out.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:42:25 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 02:18:52 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
I agree on just about everybody mentioned, most especially Chris Mullin and Bernard King. I would like to mention also Walter "The Greyhound" Davis, but, I don't think the HOF people will forget his past. Some foreign born players such as Oscar Schmidt of Brazil, Arvydas Sabonis and Sarunas Marciulionis (not for their NBA days), Carlos Loyzaga of the Philippines, and Hur Jae of South Korea.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 08:39:10 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
What about Larry Nance,drafted by the Suns but played his later years in Cleveland...Larry was Rodman-like on defense before Rodman was known for his defense.Nance was a very good offensive scorer as well.Id vote for him.

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
From NBA: White, Rodman, King, Mullin, Gilmore
Internationally: Greek Galis, Serbs Divac and Slavnic, Croats Kukoc and Giergia, Spain San Epifanio, Izrael Jamschi

And i must say, thinking that Drazen Petrovic should't be in HOF is simply arrogance, same kind of arrogance that cost US in WC 2002 in Indianapolis and Olympics in 2004 in Athens.

Peace.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get Jo Jo White's exclusion from the Hall. All-American quality college player. 7-time All-Star, Finals MVP, very good to excellent defender. A pretty automatic 20 PPG, 5 RPG, 5 APG through most of his career in Boston while shooting 45% from the field, mostly on outside shots.

Is there any doubt of those that saw Jo Jo play on a regular basis that if the three point line were around in his days that he would probably already be in the Hall for having most of the three point records from an earlier generation? Is there any doubt that he would have had a generous surge in his scoring average if the three point line existed in the NBA in the 70's?

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't get Jo Jo White's exclusion from the Hall. All-American quality college player. 7-time All-Star, Finals MVP, very good to excellent defender. A pretty automatic 20 PPG, 5 RPG, 5 APG through most of his career in Boston while shooting 45% from the field, mostly on outside shots.

Is there any doubt of those that saw Jo Jo play on a regular basis that if the three point line were around in his days that he would probably already be in the Hall for having most of the three point records from an earlier generation? Is there any doubt that he would have had a generous surge in his scoring average if the three point line existed in the NBA in the 70's?
I agree 100%,i was one of those who watched him play on a regular basis...its all so crazy that he's not in the HOF.I had assumed he had already been inducted,go figure.tp
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:00:15 AM by housecall »

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think he was such a distraction on and off the court that it's a legit reason to keep him out.

Rodman was definitely a colorful character, but did his antics negatively affect the teams he was on?  He won five championships, and I wouldn't say that any of the teams he was on underachieved. 
I don't think he stopped championship-calibur teams from winning but his on-court antics did serve as an unnecessary distraction for his team and the game in general.  I'm not knocking his defense, effort or rebounding.  I wouldn't be upset if he got into the Hall, but if I had a ballot, I'd have to think about voting him in for awhile.