Author Topic: Who Should be in the HOF?  (Read 22159 times)

Re: Who Should be in the HOF?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
No disrespect to Drazin Petrovic, he doesnt belong in the hall of fame. They pass on Artis Gilmore every year it sad. He may not been that so call elite star you guys reference alot, but those numbers are off the charts. Both ABA/NBA he should be in but Petrovic got in, what are his credentials? I'm sure there are more who shouldn't be in before Artis. Tragic Tragic Tragic...

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
If you are selecting Artis Gilmore for his ABA playing days i agree but he was not a superstar or even a star player in the NBA.His numbers are good but he was not a dominating player in the NBA.He actually was a disappointment to the Bulls in a sense because he did not play up to the expectations they wanted.Ask some older NBA&Bulls fans who witnessed in those days,as i did.He doesn't belong in the NBA HOF(imo).

He didn't get the nickname "Sleeping Giant"for no reason.

I would agree if it was the NBA HOF; he had a good but not great NBA career.  However, since it's the Basketball HOF, I think Gilmore needs to be recognized.  He was an amazing player in the ABA, and had a pretty good college career, too.
RH,whats your opinion on Yao Ming's chances of getting into the basketball HOF after he retires,based on what he's already done plus whatever he does in the next few seasons?

As of this moment, I think you have to leave Yao out.  His biggest claim to fame is that he helped make the game more popular in China.  Otherwise, he's been a very good center who has been slowed down by injuries.  He's only been to the playoffs four times, never making it out of the second round.  He's never been in the top-five in the NBA in points, rebounds, or blocks, and has never placed higher than 12th for MVP.  He doesn't have a great international or college career to help get him over the hump.

Yao has decent stats (19/9) but I personally wouldn't vote him in at this point.  However, it wouldn't shock me if he did get voted in, due to his popularity and his status as the first great Asian player in the NBA.

YAO no way, if he make it in that David Stern wanting international players in off pity Like Petrovic..

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Rodman isn't in the Hall of Fame because of his off the court antics. No other reason.
Okay, if Michael Irvin can make it in and Lawarce Taylor, then Rodmen should definatly be in

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Antoine Walker?

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Dennis Rodman

co-sign x 100!!!!  i would love to see stern cringe when it happens :)

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rodman made two All-Star teams in his career and won 2 DPOY's. Made 2 All-NBA teams (3rd team). He's 10th all time in career rebounds per-game and 22nd all time in total. I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing a player dominant in one facet of the game that was never one of the premier players in the game.

Two time DPOY but 7 time all nba 1st team defender, 1 time 2nd team. Known for much of his career as the best defender in the game. Also known for much of his career as the best rebounder in the game.

Won 7 rebounding titles. Easily the most dominant rebounder of modern times, probably dominated that statistic as much or more than anyone's dominated any stat in the last 40 years. Won his rebounding titles by around 30% at least 3-4 years in a row. If you look at the career leaders for different categories (ppg, assist per game, steals per game, blocks per game, PER, rebound%) you'll see that Rodman leads the rebounding% by the largest margin by far. The 2nd place guy is closer to 12th place than 1st.

"He's 10th all time in career rebounds per-game and 22nd all time in total" could arguably be replaced by "most dominant rebounder ever". Just glancing quickly at the rebounds per game leaders since Wilt joined the nba, it looks like, percentage-wise, Rodman won titles by 5 of the 6 largest margins of that 50 or so year period. Feel free to check them more closely, but if I'm wrong it's not by much.

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
how many future HOFers are on our current roster

Shaq
KG
Ray
Pierce

Rondo?

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pippen

Horry (when eligible)  No accident that he was on so many championship teams.

Hall should be for champions.
I guess that means Fisher gets in?

Horry was on so many championship teams because the teams wanted to pick up a role player. Doesn't make him hall of fame worthy.

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Rodman made two All-Star teams in his career and won 2 DPOY's. Made 2 All-NBA teams (3rd team). He's 10th all time in career rebounds per-game and 22nd all time in total. I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing a player dominant in one facet of the game that was never one of the premier players in the game.

Dennis Rodman is #2 all-time in offensive rebounding percentage, #3 all-time in defensive rebounding percentage, and #1 all-time in total rebounding percentage.

Those stats don't include some of the old-timers, but being #1 all-time in any major stat is pretty impressive.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Rodman will eventually get inducted into the basketball HOF...usually time heals all.

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
No disrespect to Drazin Petrovic, he doesnt belong in the hall of fame. They pass on Artis Gilmore every year it sad. He may not been that so call elite star you guys reference alot, but those numbers are off the charts. Both ABA/NBA he should be in but Petrovic got in, what are his credentials? I'm sure there are more who shouldn't be in before Artis. Tragic Tragic Tragic...

Petrovic was probably the best European player of all-time, and unlike Yao, he *did* have a stellar international track record.  To quote one of our Croatian members:

I'm from Croatia and i was blessed to watch majority of Dražen Petrović games in Croatia and Europe. In early 80-ties basketball league of former Yugoslavia was the best league after NBA. Dražen or "Petro" make a team by 17th birthsday. Next year, only 18 years old he won league title with 2 free throws with no time left in deciding games. Won bronze in LA, silver in Seul and Barcelona. Won two euroleague titles with Cibona Zagreb, with former Yugoslavia won World and European Championchips. In golden era great players in Europe (Arvidas Sabonis, Nikos Galis, Oscar Schmidt, San Epifanio, Antonelo Riva, Dorron Jamschy, Toni Kukoć, Dino Radja, Vlade Divac...) Petro was the best. From Croatia goes to Spain to Real Madrid, in Eurocup final 1989. Oscar Schmidt scores 47 points, but Real won because Petro scored 62.
In one Euroleague game versus italian club Simac (111-95 Cibona win) he scored 47 points (19/24 FG) and 30 asists. Of 111 Cibona points 107 was his points or asists. Coach of Simac, US Dan Peterson said after "this guy can play with Bird in Boston or Magic in LA". When Portland select him in 1986. draft Petro said "i was hoping it was Boston, there apriciate white players".
In European Championchips 1989. he won gold with 30,0ppg (76% FG, 70% 3pts!!!, 95% FT), 6,0apg and 2,5 spg.
He scored game high 24 points of Barcelona final vs Dream Team against Jordan and Drexler...
With Nets scored 44 against Rockets and 39 against Celtics...
He was true basketball pioneer. Portland coach Rick Adelman didnt see his talent but after he saw how good Petro become in New Jersey  Adelman had in Sacramento 3-4 european players...
Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojaković...all of them have Petro as rolle model...
I love Ray Allen, but if we had Dražen Petrović circa 1988-93 in final vs Lakers we would won banner 18.
Dražen Petrović is greatest European player of all-time, one of the greatest shooters of all-time and deserving HOF-er.
Peace.

Since it's the Basketball HOF, Petrovic belongs in there, in my opinion.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If you are selecting Artis Gilmore for his ABA playing days i agree but he was not a superstar or even a star player in the NBA.His numbers are good but he was not a dominating player in the NBA.He actually was a disappointment to the Bulls in a sense because he did not play up to the expectations they wanted.Ask some older NBA&Bulls fans who witnessed in those days,as i did.He doesn't belong in the NBA HOF(imo).

I would agree if it was the NBA HOF; he had a good but not great NBA career.  However, since it's the Basketball HOF, I think Gilmore needs to be recognized.  He was an amazing player in the ABA, and had a pretty good college career, too.
RH,whats your opinion on Yao Ming's chances of getting into the basketball HOF after he retires,based on what he's already done plus whatever he does in the next few seasons?

As of this moment, I think you have to leave Yao out.  His biggest claim to fame is that he helped make the game more popular in China.  Otherwise, he's been a very good center who has been slowed down by injuries.  He's only been to the playoffs four times, never making it out of the second round.  He's never been in the top-five in the NBA in points, rebounds, or blocks, and has never placed higher than 12th for MVP.  He doesn't have a great international or college career to help get him over the hump.

Yao has decent stats (19/9) but I personally wouldn't vote him in at this point.  However, it wouldn't shock me if he did get voted in, due to his popularity and his status as the first great Asian player in the NBA.
Thats why i asked you what you thought because he seems to be borderline at this point in his career,and if he had a good/great finish to it,its a possibility,IMO.

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

As of this moment, I think you have to leave Yao out.  His biggest claim to fame is that he helped make the game more popular in China.  Otherwise, he's been a very good center who has been slowed down by injuries.  He's only been to the playoffs four times, never making it out of the second round.  He's never been in the top-five in the NBA in points, rebounds, or blocks, and has never placed higher than 12th for MVP.  He doesn't have a great international or college career to help get him over the hump.

Yao has decent stats (19/9) but I personally wouldn't vote him in at this point.  However, it wouldn't shock me if he did get voted in, due to his popularity and his status as the first great Asian player in the NBA.
Thats why i asked you what you thought because he seems to be borderline at this point in his career,and if he had a good/great finish to it,its a possibility,IMO.

Yeah, if Yao finishes his career strong, he could make it, especially if he wins a title (or at least makes the Finals).  Unfortunately, I worry that he'll never be the same guy again, with his foot injuries.

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Dennis Rodman

JoJo White

Spencer Haywood,

Marques Johnson,

George McGinnis,

Mel Daniels

(Agreed on Gilmore and King, too.)
I'd go along with Bernard, Marques and Jojo.  I'm on the fence about Rodman though.   I think he was such a distraction on and off the court that it's a legit reason to keep him out.

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I think he was such a distraction on and off the court that it's a legit reason to keep him out.

Rodman was definitely a colorful character, but did his antics negatively affect the teams he was on?  He won five championships, and I wouldn't say that any of the teams he was on underachieved.