Author Topic: Interesting Iverson Article  (Read 40166 times)

Re: Interesting Iverson Article
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
There is not a single interesting thought in that article.

Jeez dude thats prety harsh. You sound like the comic book guy from the simpsons. I get not liking the article, but its not like it pro-nazi propeganda.

What interesting thought was in that article, clay?  Please, just one.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Personally, I thought his quote in response to the NBA cares campaign was pretty interesting. Calling the league image refurbishing attempts fake and talking about whether he will end up in heaven or hell based on his good and bad actions is a pretty rare comment from an athlete. I can't really remember hearing a player question that on the record before. I think the NBA does go over the top with its NBA cares commercials and program having about 50 commercials on every nationally televised game. Do these commercials even get people to make donations to the organization itself? How does the bombardment of these commercials help the underprivlidged the organization claims to? Couldn't this marketing money be better spend on establishing the company events, buying food etc? I think it was refreshing to see an athlete call them out for it, and at the very least "interesting."

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Personally, I thought his quote in response to the NBA cares campaign was pretty interesting. Calling the league image refurbishing attempts fake and talking about whether he will end up in heaven or hell based on his good and bad actions is a pretty rare comment from an athlete. I can't really remember hearing a player question that on the record before. I think the NBA does go over the top with its NBA cares commercials and program having about 50 commercials on every nationally televised game. Do these commercials even get people to make donations to the organization itself? How does the bombardment of these commercials help the underprivlidged the organization claims to? Couldn't this marketing money be better spend on establishing the company events, buying food etc? I think it was refreshing to see an athlete call them out for it, and at the very least "interesting."

Agree.  Those "cares" and "where nauseating commercials happen" commercials are sickening.

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
that article was poorly written and didn't provide much evidence to back up it's primary claim.

having said that, I do feel Iverson un-deservedly takes most of the blame for the US' poor showing in the '04 olympics.  That's kind of just a feeling I've always had, I can't really back it up I just feel like he was kind of made the poster-child for that team.

As far as everything else, I am fairly surprised that Iverson hasn't caught on with a team considering the indispuable HOF career he has had, but part of that is his refusing to come off the bench and become more of a role player.

Last I heard, people were worried about Iverson and saying he was depressed and drinking and gambling a lot.  Here's hoping he can get himself together and sign on with a team this year.  Aside from the "practice" rant I really think he's a likable guy and has a lot of admirable qualities for a sports star.

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
that article was poorly written and didn't provide much evidence to back up it's primary claim.

having said that, I do feel Iverson un-deservedly takes most of the blame for the US' poor showing in the '04 olympics.  That's kind of just a feeling I've always had, I can't really back it up I just feel like he was kind of made the poster-child for that team.

As far as everything else, I am fairly surprised that Iverson hasn't caught on with a team considering the indispuable HOF career he has had, but part of that is his refusing to come off the bench and become more of a role player.

Last I heard, people were worried about Iverson and saying he was depressed and drinking and gambling a lot.  Here's hoping he can get himself together and sign on with a team this year.  Aside from the "practice" rant I really think he's a likable guy and has a lot of admirable qualities for a sports star.

I would dispute the hall of fame career in a heartbeat.  Unless the hall of fame is about stats and literally nothing else.  The reality is that his teams became better upon his leaving.  Hall should be for champions or minimally, winners.  Iverson is the antithesis of both.

Admirable qualities?

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Jeez dude thats prety harsh. You sound like the comic book guy from the simpsons. I get not liking the article, but its not like it pro-nazi propeganda.

It's not the worst thing ever written - but that's only because, if I'm not mistaken, Jay Mariotti still has a column.

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
No offense, but Bleacher Report has some of the worst writing I have ever seen. Everything in there is just so super opinionated it is not even funny.

Anyways... Iverson may be getting blackballed, but he definitely hasn't done himself any favors over the last 2-3 years. If he took his role like Shaq, T-Mac or other aging stars it would be a different story. If he wants to start again he has to earn it... he isn't entitled to anything anymore.

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I would dispute the hall of fame career in a heartbeat.  Unless the hall of fame is about stats and literally nothing else.  The reality is that his teams became better upon his leaving.  Hall should be for champions or minimally, winners.  Iverson is the antithesis of both.

Meh, how did Philadelphia get better after Iverson left? What about Detroit? Memphis? All the three teams have struggled to make the playoffs since he left. Denver did do well - but it helped that Iverson got replaced with Billups but more importantly - the healthy bodies of Kenyon Martin and Nene. Iverson never had that with the Nuggs.

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Its not the Hall of Champions... its the Hall of Fame.

Iverson was arguably the best guard on the planet for five year period. Regardless if you like him or not his numbers speak for themselves. He may not have won a championship, but that is not the end all and be all of hall of fame induction. He alone made the 76ers relevant from the time he came into the league till the time he left. That is what gets you into the hall of fame. Being one of the best at what you do, and Iverson definitely was that when he was on his game.

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

What interesting thought was in that article, clay?  Please, just one.

The topic of the article was actually interesting.
"Interesting Iverson  Article"

LOL
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Compelling Article, and I must say - true.

And even with all of the alleged "Bad Teammate, selfish player", comments over the years, no one can provide any proof of such.

Allen Iverson must not be too bad a player or person, because I read somewhere before that Red would've loved him in Green, and we were also rumored to try and trade Big Al for him back a few years ago - to team with Paul Pierce.

I don't think we've seen the last of him.

"Practice?  You're going to talk to me about PRACTICE?!"

Do you remember that?  Because that was clear as day and one of the biggest examples of insubordination, disrespect to the team, bad work ethic, etc publically displayed in American sports.  Iverson is not an angel.  He is not a bad guy but he has been selfish and is not a very good team mate.  Super talented but not the best player overall because of these weaknesses in his character.

If he could accept a reduced role and be a positive member of a team someone would pick him up.  He still seems unable to accept this.  Like others have pointed out, Shaq and T-Mac found homes by eating some humble pie and accepting reduced roles and a lot less money.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Compelling Article, and I must say - true.

And even with all of the alleged "Bad Teammate, selfish player", comments over the years, no one can provide any proof of such.

Allen Iverson must not be too bad a player or person, because I read somewhere before that Red would've loved him in Green, and we were also rumored to try and trade Big Al for him back a few years ago - to team with Paul Pierce.

I don't think we've seen the last of him.

"Practice?  You're going to talk to me about PRACTICE?!"

Do you remember that?  Because that was clear as day and one of the biggest examples of insubordination, disrespect to the team, bad work ethic, etc publically displayed in American sports.  Iverson is not an angel.  He is not a bad guy but he has been selfish and is not a very good team mate.  Super talented but not the best player overall because of these weaknesses in his character.

If he could accept a reduced role and be a positive member of a team someone would pick him up.  He still seems unable to accept this.  Like others have pointed out, Shaq and T-Mac found homes by eating some humble pie and accepting reduced roles and a lot less money.

Good Point, SH. I had not forgotten about that episode in AI's life. I think he has moved on from that and recognize that what he said then was wrong. That was what 7 yrs ago?

I think 7 yrs from now even "The Decision" will be an afterthought.

Unfortunately, though - I believe he is still characterized by that one bad mistake, even to this day. That is not right.

And is there anything written anywhere about him not accepting a reduced role? I keep seeing it here on the blog, but no one can find any documentation about it. I've searched the web, already.

I think there are a lot of suppositions with AI. His reasons for leaving MEM and PHI over the last two yrs were not due to team issues, if I'm not mistaken. I thought he had medical issues with his child?

I may be an AI supporter, but I know he isn't perfect. However, I believe he can still help a contender.

I don't think we have a need for him with our roster as it stands now, but it would be very interesting to me to see him around vets like Paul, Ray, KG, soon to be "Dr. O'Neal", J.O, etc. In his defense, he has not had that kind of leadership around him B4.

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Totally agree with this article. I'm going to repeat the theme from a thread a started some time ago. For the life of me I don't understand why Cleveland isn't beating the door down to get AI. Especially in the situation they're in right now. They will suck this year, Everyone Knows they're going to suck next year and AI can be had for Little money. I still haven't found a compelling argument as to why the Cavs shouldn't do sign him. Other than the usual AI hating. Those types that don't want him in the league period.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Plus, can anyone imagine what a yr or two under Doc Rivers could do for AI? AI, even at this age, would become a better player under Doc Rivers.

If Doc could improve Antoine Walker's game, then AI would be easy for Doc. Doc (and Danny), were All-Star Guards themselves.

I saw Toine as a "Volume Shooter" before Doc got a hold of him. Under Doc, Toine improved in several categories.

Then the man went to MIA and won a championship.

Doc (and our Vets) could do wonders for AI - if we needed to bring him onboard. I know for a fact that AI would do whatever needed to be done to get a Ring. I've never met the man of course, but I cannot accept that he is as selfish as some believe he is.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Plus, can anyone imagine what a yr or two under Doc Rivers could do for AI? AI, even at this age, would become a better player under Doc Rivers.

If Doc could improve Antoine Walker's game, then AI would be easy for Doc. Doc (and Danny), were All-Star Guards themselves.

I saw Toine as a "Volume Shooter" before Doc got a hold of him. Under Doc, Toine improved in several categories.

Then the man went to MIA and won a championship.

Doc (and our Vets) could do wonders for AI - if we needed to bring him onboard. I know for a fact that AI would do whatever needed to be done to get a Ring. I've never met the man of course, but I cannot accept that he is as selfish as some believe he is.

Not to switch subjects but Antoine always got a bad rap about being a volume shooter and heaving up alot of 3's but I think that was O'brien's doing. O'brien's thing was playing tight D but as for offense he was all about giving the green light for anyone with range to shoot. It wasn't just toine , back in 2002 we had guys like Mccarty , Rogers , delk , williams & of course pierce who were pretty much hoisting up any shot they can take. Doc's a great coach but I don't think it's right to credit him with "taming" toine. I believe any new coach would've done so. As did Riely when he went to miami that year.