Author Topic: Interesting Iverson Article  (Read 39986 times)

Interesting Iverson Article
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
New Iverson article that has some interesting thoughts. I would not say I agree with the premise that he is blackballed, but do think his image has been bashed more then some other players for whatever reason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/434952-david-stern-and-espn-have-destroyed-allen-iversons-career

Re: Interesting Iverson Article
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:14:20 AM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Absolutely, David Stern and ESPN did not want to see Iverson play in the league.
This is a shame!!

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 04:30:15 AM »

Kiorrik

New Iverson article that has some interesting thoughts. I would not say I agree with the premise that he is blackballed, but do think his image has been bashed more then some other players for whatever reason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/434952-david-stern-and-espn-have-destroyed-allen-iversons-career
Great article.

Not only that, but it really, REALLY made me want to have him on our squad. Like, that would be brilliant.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 05:01:57 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I read the article and I still wouldn't want him on this team. not because he'll mess up the locker room. But more of because his skillset is... different. He's like Starbury. He needs the ball in his hands, he's not a good defender and he's an inefficient scorer. If we didn't have Nate, then i'm all for AI. But right now, i prefer Nate just because Nate can shoot that 3 pretty darn well.

and plus, didn't AI go on record to say that he didn't think he should come off the bench?

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:11:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is ready for the glue factory if he was a horse.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:33:59 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Compelling Article, and I must say - true.

And even with all of the alleged "Bad Teammate, selfish player", comments over the years, no one can provide any proof of such.

Allen Iverson must not be too bad a player or person, because I read somewhere before that Red would've loved him in Green, and we were also rumored to try and trade Big Al for him back a few years ago - to team with Paul Pierce.

I don't think we've seen the last of him.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I could only get through about half the article because I realized the writer just had absolutely no objectivity regarding Allen Iverson.

Iverson not only made those comments but he regularly missed practice, showed up late for practice, showed up late for team meetings and events and refused to listen and do what his coach and general manager wanted him to do. He was insubordinate and disrespectful to the authority figures in Philadelphia and set a bad example to his team mates, especially the younger ones.

On the court, he was a warrior but often at the expense of the efficacy of his team mates. He forced shots, refused to make the extra pass, caused a lot of standing around and watching on the offensive side and played poor defense except if you consider his constant cheating off his man to play the passing lanes to get a steal and go end to end for the ego enticing lay in.

Later, in Detroit and Memphis, when his skills were in an obvious massive decline, instead of showing some maturity and subjugating his game to what was best for the team, he continued to play HIS game and when the coaches didn't like it and told him he had to play from the bench, he QUIT on his team.

QUIT!!!!

Not something that he should be held in high regard for and hasn't been. Hence the bad press and the lack of interest in him any longer as a player.

Perhaps the author of the article, to be objective, should have mentioned these points.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:26:51 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
He is ready for the glue factory if he was a horse.

No doubt. 

Black balled .. Him and Jose Canseco.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Dumbest article I've ever seen.  Media is brainwashing us into thinking his game is declining?  Hahaha!  Did the media brainwash us to believe that Shaq has declined too?  Maybe athletes just get old.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Don't have time to read the article, but I think the entire media perceptions around Iverson are fascinating. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle...there's no conspiracy to denigrate his current skill level, and, if he's unwilling to transition into role player status, his skills just aren't good enough any more to be a primary option player. However, I do think there's been a lot of retrospective slamming of his skills during his prime because people don't like the person he is...for racial, cultural, personality or class reasons or whatever. But he's had just as much success with much worse teams than many of our "winner" heroes (PP before the big three, Nash, Kidd, etc.) but nowhere near the accolades as a player, simply because of his personality. I see the two as separate and not influencing one and other.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I could only get through about half the article because I realized the writer just had absolutely no objectivity regarding Allen Iverson.

I'm with you Nick, but then I started reading everybody's comments about how they agreed with it, I thought maybe I'm missing something so forced my way through.  Nope not missing anything just a terrible article.

Throughout the league all the executives are good friends with each other and with Stern, it is not hard for Stern to send out a memo to these guys telling them to stay away from Iverson. These are the same guys that vote players onto All-NBA teams by the way and the same guys that get to vote for the awards at the end of the season.

The executives don't vote for any awards.  It's the media.  So this point is ridiculous and means nothing.

Then when selection time for the 2008 USA Mens Basketball team that would play in the Olympics in Beijing came, every all-star was invited except Allen Iverson.

The team was picked in 2006, and All-Stars from 06-08 not invited include Rasheed Wallace, Caron Butler, David West, and Brandon Roy.  (A little harder to be sure about this, since it's hard to know who got invites and who didnt't, but basing a large part on this http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2349009).

"Shaquille O'Neal is signed. McGrady is signed. Jermaine O'Neal is signed. Just when you thought it couldn't get more awkward for Iverson."

That should read, "Shaquille O'Neal accepted a reduced role and signed. McGrady accepted a reduced role and signed. Jermaine O'Neal accepted a reduced role and signed. Just when you thought it couldn't get more awkward for Iverson, he still hasn't accepted a reduced role."

But in addition to those points, the article is just, well crap.  It's terrible.

I LOVE Iverson, dude is done though, has nothing to do with Stern blackballing him.   

Charles Oakley talked crap in 2001 "60%-70% of NBA players smoke weed." Still played 3 more years for 3 different teams, the league didn't blackball him.  Look at all the comments Rasheed has made throughout his career, and look how in demand he was in the summer of '09.  If Stern was blackballing guys wouldn't Ron Artest be on the top of that list?  Stern didn't blackball Iverson, Iverson blackballed himself.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
There is not a single interesting thought in that article.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Apparently the reporter missed the praktiss commentary...Or just not bothering to show up at all.  Apparently missed the alienation of every pro coach Iverson has had.  Tanking for a trade from the pro team that gave him his NBA life....And tried to save it later.

I'm no Stern fan.  The NBA has turned into professional wrestling when certain players are on the court.  Iverson was one of those players.  If Stern hated him so much, how the hell did Iverson get away with carrying the ball on every possession?  This has nothing to do with Stern.  It has everything to do with owners not being able to justify what few (inexplicable) extra seats would be filled with what Iverson would do to their teams.

Spare me the paragon of virtue article about one of the most talented but overrated and selfish players in NBA history.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:58:29 AM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I was mildly interested that he couldn't figure out why we'd sign Shaq and not AI after Perk was injured and Wallace retired. Wouldn't the fact that none of the examples that he used of players that got contracts when AI didn't played the same position as AI alert him to the fact that they were bad examples?

Doc: "We could really use another big. How about Shaq?"

Danny: "Why go after Shaq when Iverson's available?"

Doc: "About me coming back to coach next year.."

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Jeez dude thats prety harsh. You sound like the comic book guy from the simpsons. I get not liking the article, but its not like it pro-nazi propeganda.