Author Topic: Barkley going after James...again!!  (Read 41066 times)

Re: Barkley going after James...again!!
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I guess LBJ really gave up in game 6, because he only tallied 27 points, 10 assists, 3 steals and 19 boards  ::)

-=-=-

Because stats are everything, right? He didn't take a shot in the last 2 minutes and had a key turnover (AND with a single-digit deficit he refused to foul Rondo intentionally to send him to the ft line).

Compare that 38% FG shooting, 9 turnover performance to the last time he had an elimination game in Boston, where he scored 45 on 49% FG shooting with just 2 turnovers - against a better Celtics team...

You said that, not me. I watched the game and to me it didn't seem like he quit (at least intentionally). I think his 19 boards show that and his 9 turnovers could be translated as he was really trying, maybe too hard. I think his teammates let him/the team down.

If you are a laker fan that is how you would see it.

I don't think he quit as much as he doesn't have the heart needed to be the man.

The  ::) was supposed to indicate sarcasm.

I realize that and my comment wasn't referencing you. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I realize that and my comment wasn't referencing you. 

I hear ya  :)

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I guess LBJ really gave up in game 6, because he only tallied 27 points, 10 assists, 3 steals and 19 boards  ::)

-=-=-

Because stats are everything, right? He didn't take a shot in the last 2 minutes and had a key turnover (AND with a single-digit deficit he refused to foul Rondo intentionally to send him to the ft line).

Compare that 38% FG shooting, 9 turnover performance to the last time he had an elimination game in Boston, where he scored 45 on 49% FG shooting with just 2 turnovers - against a better Celtics team...

You said that, not me. I watched the game and to me it didn't seem like he quit (at least intentionally). I think his 19 boards show that and his 9 turnovers could be translated as he was really trying, maybe too hard. I think his teammates let him/the team down.

I don't think he quit as much as he doesn't have the heart needed to be the man.

The series was already lost in games 4 and 5 - IMO he decided his tanking was a bit too obvious so had that game 6 to deflect some of the criticism.

Bottom line, he consistently proved that the Celtics couldn't stop him. He AVERAGED 37 ppg vs the C's this season - and then scores 22, 15, and 27.

LeQUIT!

And I'm a basketball fan - not a Laker fan - which is why I am offended by what happened because the Cavs fans deserved his best effort even if he WAS leaving.

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

-=-=-

The series was already lost in games 4 and 5 - IMO he decided his tanking was a bit too obvious so had that game 6 to deflect some of the criticism.

Bottom line, he consistently proved that the Celtics couldn't stop him. He AVERAGED 37 ppg vs the C's this season - and then scores 22, 15, and 27.

LeQUIT!

And I'm a basketball fan - not a Laker fan - which is why I am offended by what happened because the Cavs fans deserved his best effort even if he WAS leaving.

I've seen kobe score 40 a night and then barely scrape 40% against the C's but, he didn't quit.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
"I've seen kobe score 40 a night and then barely scrape 40% against the C's but, he didn't quit."

Exactly - Kobe had a HORRIBLE game 7 in the Finals, but didn't quit.  But LeBron's quitting was blatantly obvious - HUGE difference.

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2010, 01:12:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
FWIW I think there is some merit to the concept of him quitting. I remember watching various points of the series and being bewildered by his play, body language etc. The not fouling rondo with a single digit deficit was extremely puzzling in a close out game...

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
What Barkley says is true. Lebacle needs to hear something totally opposite to what everyone else is saying to him. It seems as if no one questions his moves or motives.

Lebacle's "Call-out" to his "enemies" last week was indeed - Childish.

Back in the day Larry, Michael, Magic, etc - would never do such a thing. They'd each go out and bust their opponents' rear ends - on the court.

I understand that this is a different time we live in, but the code of all sports, to me, says you let your actions speak on the court, field, etc - not in the media.

That, to me, should never change.

Lebacle,,,,,,hysterical nickname.  Claim it as yours for Lebron and we'll all TP you!!!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
"I've seen kobe score 40 a night and then barely scrape 40% against the C's but, he didn't quit."

Exactly - Kobe had a HORRIBLE game 7 in the Finals, but didn't quit.  But LeBron's quitting was blatantly obvious - HUGE difference.

If one was to be able to determine these types of things from just watching a game. I think you could make the argument that Kobe quit in game 7 of the 08 finals vs Boston or game 7 of 06 playoffs against the Suns.  LJ while a coattail riding coward just got beat by a better team this past playoff season.  I can see where some people might think Lebron quit because it's soooo hard to wrap your head around the fact that Boston could beat Cleveland straight up.  The same Cleveland team that some people think be lucky to win 30 games w/o LJ this season.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum

If one was to be able to determine these types of things from just watching a game. I think you could make the argument that Kobe quit in game 7 of the 08 finals vs Boston or game 7 of 06 playoffs against the Suns.  LJ while a coattail riding coward just got beat by a better team this past playoff season.  I can see where some people might think Lebron quit because it's soooo hard to wrap your head around the fact that Boston could beat Cleveland straight up.  The same Cleveland team that some people think be lucky to win 30 games w/o LJ this season.

When you see a player take control of a series with a 38-pt, 63% FG performance leading his team to a 2-1 series lead handing the Celtics their worst home playoff loss in team history suddenly play completely differently than EVER BEFORE, it's really easy to "determine these types of things".

No way the Celtics prevail if he didn't quit.

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:46 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

No you can't because Kobe didn't quit. Kobe came out swinging and looking to extend the series during game 6 of the '08 Finals. He was even doing finger-wagging and all that. Plus, being down 30pts is different from being down single digits.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 01:45:36 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
He definitely quit in that suns game! I watched it. He just passed the ball to lamar, smush, and kwame trying to make a point in saying this is what you gave me to work with so watch how they do when I let them try to make plays on their own. It was a guy who had succumb to so much frustration that he let it overwhelm him to the point he sulked through the whole second half of that game. I am pretty sure Phil had criticized him for not making his teammates better and trying to win selfishly. It was similar to his game 4 against OKC this year but much more evident.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2010, 02:12:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

When you see a player take control of a series with a 38-pt, 63% FG performance leading his team to a 2-1 series lead handing the Celtics their worst home playoff loss in team history suddenly play completely differently than EVER BEFORE, it's really easy to "determine these types of things".

????

No way Celtics beat the Cavs if LeBron doesn't quit?.

First, when did he quit? I find it hard to believe as title contenders, he took a 2-1 series lead, took back HCA and decided "yeah, that's enough for this season, can't wait to join Wade and Bosh next season in Miami." After all, why would an MVP on the best (record) team quit immediately after blowing out the opposition?

After game 4, after losing a tough game in Boston, I also find it hard to believe he lost all hope knowing they were one of, if not the best home team last season. They also have won in Boston before. So I'm guessing he didn't go into game 5 in Cleveland with no intention of giving his all. I doubt he would give up his hopes of a title because he was tied 2-2 with the Celtics with two left in Cleveland.

Then the blowout occurs. Did he quit? Maybe after they were down 20 in the 3rd. I definitely believe in the final minute or two of game 6 he gave up. Giving up and quitting on the team are slightly different, but to some perhaps they are the same.

BUT.... Any way you slice it, the Celtics were up 3-2 on the Cavs before LeBron possibly could have quit. You say no way the Celtics could possibly prevail? I beg to differ.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2010, 05:53:45 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I think had the whole ESPN TV special never occurred, LeBron would certainly be taken less heat for his moving to MIA. 

The day he knew where he was going, whether it had already been pre-determined or not, he should've called Dan Gilbert and notified him privately of his decision.  From there, the Cavs could have released a statement to the public or LeBron could have had one of his associates read a statement regarding his leaving, and then he could've taken out an ad in the major Cleveland newspaper to thank the fans for their support during his first 7 yrs in the NBA, such as Johnny Damon did when he departed the Red Sox for NYY.  Most fans probably still would have been upset at the move, but it would have been easier for them to swallow.

The show was, as Scottie Pippen said via ESPN, "classless" but the move is what it is.  He exercised his right as a free agent to leave his prior team.  And I do agree with Barkley that the little parade show type event that Miami held with the "Miami Thrice" dancing around on stage like "punks" was equally classless.

That being said, the NBA will definitely benefit from it from a fiscal standpoint, as well as, other thing receiving benefit from the move.  I, personally, am excited for this season.  The C's made pretty darn good moves, the Heat, undoubtedly, too...The Eastern Conference pretty much as a whole took a positive step forward this summer.  10 years ago, against the Western Conference, it was like night and day.  This was definitely a good summer for the league.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the season plays out. 

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum

????

First, when did he quit? I find it hard to believe as title contenders, he took a 2-1 series lead, took back HCA and decided "yeah, that's enough for this season, can't wait to join Wade and Bosh next season in Miami." After all, why would an MVP on the best (record) team quit immediately after blowing out the opposition?

After game 4, after losing a tough game in Boston, I also find it hard to believe he lost all hope knowing they were one of, if not the best home team last season. They also have won in Boston before. So I'm guessing he didn't go into game 5 in Cleveland with no intention of giving his all. I doubt he would give up his hopes of a title because he was tied 2-2 with the Celtics with two left in Cleveland.

Then the blowout occurs. Did he quit? Maybe after they were down 20 in the 3rd. I definitely believe in the final minute or two of game 6 he gave up. Giving up and quitting on the team are slightly different, but to some perhaps they are the same.

BUT.... Any way you slice it, the Celtics were up 3-2 on the Cavs before LeBron possibly could have quit. You say no way the Celtics could possibly prevail? I beg to differ.

Nothing is more blinding than green goggles.

Game 4, all Cavs starters in double figures to just 3 Celtics. Shaq/Varejao 25 pts, Perk/Sheed 3.

4th Q score 74-72.

He takes just 6 shots in 12 minutes, missing 4 including a layup. Anyone who knows his "normal" game vs the Celtics knows he tanked - it's OBVIOUS!

Game 5, if you watch it again, the standing alone near halfcourt on offense is ridiculous he takes almost no shots the 1st half- I don't see how anyone could ignore it.

Personally, I think the Delonte thing is the most likely reason, followed by the decision to leave, and being mad about something.

But whatever it wqas, everybody saw it, and only Celtics fans, Heat fans, and LeBron fans deny it.

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

????

Nothing is more blinding than green goggles.

Game 4, all Cavs starters in double figures to just 3 Celtics. Shaq/Varejao 25 pts, Perk/Sheed 3.

4th Q score 74-72.

He takes just 6 shots in 12 minutes, missing 4 including a layup. Anyone who knows his "normal" game vs the Celtics knows he tanked - it's OBVIOUS!

Game 5, if you watch it again, the standing alone near halfcourt on offense is ridiculous he takes almost no shots the 1st half- I don't see how anyone could ignore it.

Personally, I think the Delonte thing is the most likely reason, followed by the decision to leave, and being mad about something.

But whatever it wqas, everybody saw it, and only Celtics fans, Heat fans, and LeBron fans deny it.

I think almost all of the "LeBron quit" or "Orlando quit" crowd just didn't appreciate what they were seeing from the Celtics. Not to mention that LeBron's "great" game 3 was countered by Rondo's historic game 4. You seem to think that James is some unstoppable force and the Cavs can't be beat unless he "quits", ignoring the fact that he's been stopped by someone every year he's been in the league.