Author Topic: Barkley going after James...again!!  (Read 41068 times)

Re: Barkley going after James...again!!
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 10:33:44 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Of course it was a media event.  He "WAS" the best basketball player in the NBA in many peoples opinions.  No other team would have celebrated like  (except maybe the Knicks, who may even not have, and the Clippers, who would have had the right with how bad their franchise has been lol)! 

Do you really think that the Celtics would have had a circus like that had we gotten LeBron???  OF COURSE NOT!  Our team was the second worst recordwise the year before we landed KG and Ray and did you see us having a circus and WWE event like the three queens and the Heat.  OF COURSE NOT!  Because our organization has wwwwaaayyyy wwwaaaayyy to much class and so do Ray and KG.

Obviously any team would have been thrilled to land LeBron.  No news here.

LeBron didn't give a crap about Cleveland.  All he cares about is himself... himself more... Akron kind of... and then winning.  Like it or not Cleveland is LeBron's home team!  Just like the Celtics are my home team and I live in Rhode Island!  The closest team to where you were born or grown up is your hometeam! 

R u a Celtics fan and did you watch this past years playoffs??  Because if so you would have seen the Celtics man handle LeBron and made him quit.  Which he did!  With a minute and a half left his team was down 9 points!!  9 points!!  You think Michael or Reggie or anyone else would have gave up and lead his team in doing it!!

Why should LeBron care about Jordan's career???  Because Jordan is arguably the best basketball player ever to live!!  LeBron should strive to be better than him and try to be the best basketball player in the world because he had the talent too but he didn't have the competiveness as we all know now. 

LeBron should try to move on and make a dynasty of his own and not in Chicago???  You could not be more wrong here.  If he should make a dynasty on his own and become the best player ever he should have stayed in Cleveland and won multiple championships there or even gone to Chicago in a respectful manner completely opposite of what he's done and surpassed Jordan by winning 7 rings and have Jordan be in his shadow!!  Instead he decided to go become D-Wades you know what and join his friends and take the easy way out!!  LeCon is a coward and will always be a loser!!

I tried quoting everything you said and then stating after it, but that didn't work, but you can see where I edited and gave my opinion.  Wish what I originally typed didn't get all done after my log in timed out, but that was basically what I said.

I guarentee any team that actually had a shot at LBJ coming would of had that event.  Obviously we wouldn't with the rest of our roster, but we never would of had a chance at LBJ because we are a good team with no cap room.  No one who had a chance at LBJ was a contender, so if he shows up on your team suddenly you would be very excited because you suddenly got better, and yes the team would do something like what they did in Miami.  Funny you say the Knicks wouldn't do this because they would do it bigger than anyone. That's obvious.

And Ray and KG were more low key, fine, but Boston is not Miami.  People there loved it.  The whole point was to pump up the fan base and that worked.  It was not for you or I.

Yes, obviously everyone would have loved LBJ, making your point about LBJ owing Cleveland someting because they "gave him a start to his career" a pointless statement.

LBJ is not a Browns fan or an Indians fan notice... he is a Yankees fan and Cowboys fan.  Not everyone is just a fan of a team that is close to them.  I hate the Pats and like the Colts, not cause I'm from Indy but just because they are my favorite team to watch.  Not everyone operrates by the hometwon fan rules, and judging by LBJ's other tastes I'd say he was not a Cavs fan either.

The Celtics, again, played maybe the best Playoff defense I have ever seen.  Did they make LBJ get extremly frusterated and basically give up on offense?  Pretty much.  But LBJ isn't the best jump shooter and if he has no way to even sniff the paint that would probably frusterate him.  And if no one on your team does anything but wait to be open when you recieve a double team and hit spot up shots it would probably be frusterating that you are getting no help from anyone when you are recieving so much of the defensive attention.  Would other greats be more resilient?  Sure, but LBJ has been in the past when facing tough defense, it's not as if this was his MO.  He had a bad game and he wasn't getting help so he gave in at the end there.  Celtics had all the momentum and the defense wasn't getting any worse on him.  It remained strong the entire game.

LBJ wasn't winning in Cleveland with that roster and they have no way to make any moves.  The statement of whoever being the best basketball player of time is overrated, again because you can't compare these players reliably.  If we're judging by simply success I'd say Bill Russell was the best of all time, but I digress.  If LeBron is not Jordan, and he is not, then he should not try to be Jordan.  He should not care about Jordan and instead focus on being the best in his own era because that's all he can control and do

Maybe LBJ would rather be remembered as part of the best team ever rather than the best player ever?  Seems that way to me judging by his decisioin to go to Miami alongside Wade and Bosh, and I think that's awesome. 

I rememeber when once sports fans complained sports sucked now because players were all about money and themselves and not the team and winning. I know I still feel that way, I guess others do not as much. LeBron has some ego to him, but all the NBA greats did.  What is really important is the basketball decision that LBJ made, and he made a great one IMO.  It seems like all the fans are so concerned with "legacies", comparisons between players that cannot be accurately judged and are way overrated.  I hope LBJ doesn't care about any of that and just wants to be the best he can be and dominate his own era.

I don't remember Shaq getting any grief for ditching Orlando for LA at age 24.  Orlando a team that just made the Finals, with Shaq who was every bit as much of a megastar as LeBron, maybe even more so.

(I know Shaq didn't do the whole "Decision" thing, agree LeBron deserves a whole bunch of criticism for that, I'm specifically talking about the switching teams parts).

Good comparison.  LeBron had the special which made it worse, but otherwise it is an apt comparison and Shaq may have got criticism but no where near what LBJ is getting.

Sorry Snakehead I just disagree just like most people do with you on this topic and don't even feel like prooving to you why time after time. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2010, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
the all too rare "agree to disagree" end to a thread....

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Some of you disappoint me in your opinions.

Sorry  ;D

The difference is Barkley wasn't the poster boy for ESPN and he didn't go on national TV in a hyped-up "Decision" one-hour show to screw thousands of fans over. That said, I wish LeBron all the best because I know that his proclamation of seven rings (are you kidding me?) is nothing but a dream. Another thing is that Barkley was a great player but nowhere as great as LBJ is and I think even Barkley recognizes that and that's why he's disappointed. He wanted LBJ to be a Bird, an MJ or a Magic. You know, a franchise player in the most true sense of the word.

The mound bound of rebound wasn't a slouch his self now. Barkley at one time was the dominant force too, so lets not forget that. If YOU ask me now if LBJ is better than Charles? I look at their legacys and neither of them have a ring, so they are equal because LBJ hasn't did nothing Charles havent done.

Although I haven't checked I am pretty sure Barkley never averaged 8.6 assists  per game at age 25 or any age, for that matter  ;)

i guess you better check. barkley averaged 8.6 only once in his career...as a rookie. each and every other year of his career he average just under 12 rebounds a game. 14.6 was his career high. 10.1 was his career low...aside from his rookie year.

say what you wish about barkley as a commentator, but as a nba player the round mound of rebound did really rebound incredibly well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 12:32:57 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Some of you disappoint me in your opinions.

Sorry  ;D

The difference is Barkley wasn't the poster boy for ESPN and he didn't go on national TV in a hyped-up "Decision" one-hour show to screw thousands of fans over. That said, I wish LeBron all the best because I know that his proclamation of seven rings (are you kidding me?) is nothing but a dream. Another thing is that Barkley was a great player but nowhere as great as LBJ is and I think even Barkley recognizes that and that's why he's disappointed. He wanted LBJ to be a Bird, an MJ or a Magic. You know, a franchise player in the most true sense of the word.

The mound bound of rebound wasn't a slouch his self now. Barkley at one time was the dominant force too, so lets not forget that. If YOU ask me now if LBJ is better than Charles? I look at their legacys and neither of them have a ring, so they are equal because LBJ hasn't did nothing Charles havent done.

Although I haven't checked I am pretty sure Barkley never averaged 8.6 assists  per game at age 25 or any age, for that matter  ;)

i guess you better check. barkley averaged 8.6 only once in his career...as a rookie. each and every other year of his career he average just under 12 rebounds a game. 14.6 was his career high. 10.1 was his career low...aside from his rookie year.

say what you wish about barkley as a commentator, but as a nba player the round mound of rebound did really rebound incredibly well.

He said 8.6 assists, not rebounds.

I'm not sure of the relevance since Barkley was a different type of player than Lebron.

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 12:35:24 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't remember Shaq getting any grief for ditching Orlando for LA at age 24.  Orlando a team that just made the Finals, with Shaq who was every bit as much of a megastar as LeBron, maybe even more so.

(I know Shaq didn't do the whole "Decision" thing, agree LeBron deserves a whole bunch of criticism for that, I'm specifically talking about the switching teams parts).

Really?  I remember Shaq getting a lot of grief for leaving Orlando - a lot of people accused him of caring more about a movie/rap career than winning championships.  LeBron's gotten more flak for sure, but Shaq wasn't exactly given a pass at the time.

There was no "Decision" special of course, but it was a different time media-wise.
I'm not sure we can blame the times for Lebron's program. It was a uniquely stupid PR move.

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The guy is one of the best players in the NBA.  People are not going to like and give him grief its part of being a pro.  I think its a riot that is he even too soft to mentally handle that. Shaq went to LA to be a in many mediums, movies, rap etc.   LeBron is going to MIA because he knows he can't win a title or lead a team to the top so he is hoping his buddy can.  Big difference, one went to pursue other careers the other is a beat dawg.  Not to mention the special.

Barkley was a terrific rebounder.  Definitely the best ever under 6'4".  He is no ways near his listed height og 6'6". 

Some have clearly drank the marketing Kool-aid on LeBron and think he can do no wrong and is one of the all time greats.   I see him as a spoiled man child who is egotistical and used to getting his way.  He isn't going to be capable of changing his game for the good of the team, mark my words.

Kudos for Sir Charles calling it like it is and not ot drinking the Kool-aid.  Wonder how this will affect his commercials with D Wade?   You know that Stern has to be cringing when Sir Charles was critical and anything that makes the Kingrat squirm is good to me.

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Some have clearly drank the marketing Kool-aid on LeBron and think he can do no wrong and is one of the all time greats.   I see him as a spoiled man child who is egotistical and used to getting his way.  He isn't going to be capable of changing his game for the good of the team, mark my words.

both of your statements in bold are true.

let's hope your last statement is true too.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I agree. The Ego's PR machine - and the people who buy it - make me chuckle. Anyone who thinks he can mesh his game with DWade is in for a rude surprise. He'll demand that DWade play second fiddle to him. As for Bosh - yawn. Soft and overrated.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
@ Snakehead wrt

"He had a bad game and he wasn't getting help so he gave in at the end there.  Celtics had all the momentum and the defense wasn't getting any worse on him.  It remained strong the entire game.

LBJ wasn't winning in Cleveland with that roster and they have no way to make any moves."

It's hilarious how Celtics fans want to believe it was the defense - where was it in game 3?

The guy threw the series to send a big FU to the organazation - anyone who knows his game knows it. Again, he plays with his normal effort and the Celts are down 3-1.

Or if you honestly believe that it was the greatest defensive effort in Celtics history in game 4, remember that it's a 3 game series with 2 in Cleveland - there's game 5 when he shoots 3-14, and stands around near halfcourt while his teammates go 4 on 5, and consciously TRIES to miss open 3-pointers.

Tell me what the C's defense had to do with that.

The Cavs certainly were in the best position of any team to get the title - your statement that he wasn't winning with that roster is untrue.

Sad, really...

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
@ Snakehead wrt

"He had a bad game and he wasn't getting help so he gave in at the end there.  Celtics had all the momentum and the defense wasn't getting any worse on him.  It remained strong the entire game.

LBJ wasn't winning in Cleveland with that roster and they have no way to make any moves."

It's hilarious how Celtics fans want to believe it was the defense - where was it in game 3?

The guy threw the series to send a big FU to the organazation - anyone who knows his game knows it. Again, he plays with his normal effort and the Celts are down 3-1.

Or if you honestly believe that it was the greatest defensive effort in Celtics history in game 4, remember that it's a 3 game series with 2 in Cleveland - there's game 5 when he shoots 3-14, and stands around near halfcourt while his teammates go 4 on 5, and consciously TRIES to miss open 3-pointers.

The Cavs certainly were in the best position of any team to get the title - your statement that he wasn't winning with that roster is untrue.

Sad, really...

I guess LBJ really gave up in game 6, because he only tallied 27 points, 10 assists, 3 steals and 19 boards  ::)

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
@ Snakehead wrt

Sad, really...

I guess LBJ really gave up in game 6, because he only tallied 27 points, 10 assists, 3 steals and 19 boards  ::)

-=-=-

Because stats are everything, right? He didn't take a shot in the last 2 minutes and had a key turnover (AND with a single-digit deficit he refused to foul Rondo intentionally to send him to the ft line).

Compare that 38% FG shooting, 9 turnover performance to the last time he had an elimination game in Boston, where he scored 45 on 49% FG shooting with just 2 turnovers - against a better Celtics team...

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
@ Snakehead wrt

Sad, really...

If you are a laker fan that is how you would see it.

I don't think he quit as much as he doesn't have the heart needed to be the man.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Shaq didn't leave Orlando for LA to team up with superstars so he'd be able to win a title. He went to LA for more exposure, and for music/acting side projects. It would be like LeBron going to the Clippers or the Knicks, not the Heat.

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

-=-=-

Because stats are everything, right? He didn't take a shot in the last 2 minutes and had a key turnover (AND with a single-digit deficit he refused to foul Rondo intentionally to send him to the ft line).

Compare that 38% FG shooting, 9 turnover performance to the last time he had an elimination game in Boston, where he scored 45 on 49% FG shooting with just 2 turnovers - against a better Celtics team...

You said that, not me. I watched the game and to me it didn't seem like he quit (at least intentionally). I think his 19 boards show that and his 9 turnovers could be translated as he was really trying, maybe too hard. I think his teammates let him/the team down.

If you are a laker fan that is how you would see it.

I don't think he quit as much as he doesn't have the heart needed to be the man.

The  ::) was supposed to indicate sarcasm.

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
9 out 10 things Barkley usually says i don't agree with...its that 1 time he's correct in this case.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:26:22 PM by housecall »