Author Topic: Barkley going after James...again!!  (Read 41069 times)

Barkley going after James...again!!
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
I was working out at the gym yesterday and saw that ESPN was talking about "Barkley vs. LeBron." I couldn't hear, obviously, and when I checked at home I could not find anything. Well, thankfully, Sportsline.com has the scoop...

After LeBron's tweet earlier about "remembering" who all is taking shots at him, Sir Charles responded with some very good quotes such as the following:

"I heard about LeBron's little tweet today that he's remembering everybody who said anything bad about him," Barkley said. "And he said 'everybody.' Well, I want him to make sure that he puts my name on that (list) ... I thought that his little one-hour special was a punk move. I thought them dancing around on the stage was a punk move, and I thought he should've stayed in Cleveland. Him joining Dwyane Wade 's team was very disappointing to me."

And...

"He's got enough people kissing his ass with his family and all the people who work for him," Barkley said. "We don't have to tell him what he wants to hear all the time ... That one-hour special, them jumping around on stage like punks, that wasn't cool to me. From a basketball standpoint, I wish he had stayed in Cleveland, and if he takes that as criticism, so be it."

And, finally....

"He knows where I'll be, I don't run. I'm on TV every week, I'm easy to find."

I have always loved Barkley for his outspoken nature and this makes me an even bigger fan..

link:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/23847536?tag=headlines;nba
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

Re: Barkley going after James...again!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
What Barkley says is true. Lebacle needs to hear something totally opposite to what everyone else is saying to him. It seems as if no one questions his moves or motives.

Lebacle's "Call-out" to his "enemies" last week was indeed - Childish.

Back in the day Larry, Michael, Magic, etc - would never do such a thing. They'd each go out and bust their opponents' rear ends - on the court.

I understand that this is a different time we live in, but the code of all sports, to me, says you let your actions speak on the court, field, etc - not in the media.

That, to me, should never change.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
The thing about Barkley is he's hypocritical (in regards to LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland).

Because Barkley wanted to get out of Philly to join a better team, so he forced his team to trade him to Phoenix.
Then Barkley wanted our of Phoenix to join Hakeem and Drexler in Houston, so he forced his team to trade him there.

So what the heck is Barkley talking about LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland?  If that's the case, Barkley should have stayed in Philly.

I do love that Barkley speaks his mind though.  I like the past superstars hating on LeBron  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The thing about Barkley is he's hypocritical (in regards to LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland).

Because Barkley wanted to get out of Philly to join a better team, so he forced his team to trade him to Phoenix.
Then Barkley wanted our of Phoenix to join Hakeem and Drexler in Houston, so he forced his team to trade him there.

So what the heck is Barkley talking about LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland?  If that's the case, Barkley should have stayed in Philly.

I do love that Barkley speaks his mind though.  I like the past superstars hating on LeBron  ;D

It's funny because Barkley joined up with two greats late in his career desperately trying to win a title in Houston.  And if you have never won a ring, you know what you probably should not do?  Criticize players who are trying to put themselves in a good position to win a title.

I think Barkley is entertaining but he speaks out of his ass very often.

Never mind how Barkley got fired up by criticism (like LeBron is appearing to be by his tweet).  There's the whole "role model" quote, plus the spitting incident, all the fighting and scuffles he got in... I mean come on.  If Barkley played in the game today I'm sure he would have tweets like that, or like the insults that were tossed between Shaq and Jim Rome recently.

Also Barkley has already apologized for this.  Not taken back all the comments but especiallly the "punk" bit, he said that was a terrible word to use.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:15:29 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Barkley would own him in fight.  I think Charles has every right to say what he said.  I agree with him.

All this talk about LeBron using this as fuel and the like is a joke.  He doesn't have it in him.  Mentally he is not very tough, talking tough in one thing, being tough is another.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I am not focusing on what Barkley said about joining greats, I just think what he said about LeBron never getting criticism rings more truly.  The part that bothers me the most about him is that his company is illegally talking to FAs and other players and the NBA does nothing.  His friends/employees talked to FAs and other players illegally and the NBA did nothing.  Then they allowed him that horrible special on ESPN (can't blame ESPN, someone would have picked it up).  I just think that it's horrible that the NBA babies this guy, and he demands to be babied.  That's the largest difference between him and Kobe/Jordan/Durant.  Those guys play and act with pride (I hate Kobe).  LBJ has NONE.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

So what the heck is Barkley talking about LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland?  If that's the case, Barkley should have stayed in Philly.

I do love that Barkley speaks his mind though.  I like the past superstars hating on LeBron  ;D

Sir Charles I think was pretty fair in his request to leave philly based on the direction of their team. Look at the following roster and note they finished with 35 wins despite an incredible season from Barkley. Although they got a terrible package, trading him to rebuild completely was in the best interest of both parties. This is not the same as leaving a team that led the league in wins and took on 30 million in payroll the previous season to help you win (Shaq and Jamison). Seriously look at their roster below

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1992.html

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
So KG privately asked to get out of Minny late in his career, does that make him a bad guy? Pierce too would have done the same had Danny not brought in Ray and KG.. So what are we comparing here? APPLES AND ORANGES

Difference between Barkley and co. pushing to be on winning squads:

1. They were traded for other players/draft picks
2. Their organization knew ahead of time that the player wanted out and had the mindset of being in another uniform the following season.
3. Neither of the Big 3 or Barkley had a 1 hour special to decide whether their teams were being screwed over or not.

LeBron owned the Cavs(chose draft picks, trades, free agents) then he pwned the Cavs(as he walked off leaving them with nothing more than open cap room, and Antwan Jamison)
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard

So what the heck is Barkley talking about LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland?  If that's the case, Barkley should have stayed in Philly.

I do love that Barkley speaks his mind though.  I like the past superstars hating on LeBron  ;D

It's funny because Barkley joined up with two greats late in his career desperately trying to win a title in Houston.  And if you have never won a ring, you know what you probably should not do?  Criticize players who are trying to put themselves in a good position to win a title.

Never mind how Barkley got fired up by criticism (like LeBron is appearing to be by his tweet).  There's the whole "role model" quote, plus the spitting incident, all the fighting and scuffles he got in... I mean come on.  If Barkley played in the game today I'm sure he would have tweets like that, or like the insults that were tossed between Shaq and Jim Rome recently.

Also Barkley has already apologized for this.  Not taken back all the comments but especiallly the "punk" bit, he said that was a terrible word to use.

To be fair, Barkley, Drexler and Hakeem were all ancient by the time they teamed up, not in their prime. I just think LeBron should of tried to win it without D-Wade's help as he is still VERY young. If he has no title by 30, then go out and team up with as many superstars as necessary but his legacy, and most definitely, reputation will forever be tarnished, IMHO.
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:23:17 AM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Quote from: bdm860 on Today at 10:48:10 am

I do love that Barkley speaks his mind though.  I like the past superstars hating on LeBron 

Sir Charles I think was pretty fair in his request to leave philly based on the direction of their team. Look at the following roster and note they finished with 35 wins despite an incredible season from Barkley. Although they got a terrible package, trading him to rebuild completely was in the best interest of both parties. This is not the same as leaving a team that led the league in wins and took on 30 million in payroll the previous season to help you win (Shaq and Jamison). Seriously look at their roster below

TP

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

You're right about it being not the same, but I think between that trade, his time in Houston with Drexler and Hakeem (with the goal of ring chasing), and his lack of a ring... shouldn't he probably not be the most vocal person on this issue criticizing LeBron?  It seems hypocrtical and silly.

I think Barkley's right in that anything short of multiple rings will be dissapointing for this Miami team, but he should really stop going on about it.  The greatest teams had multiple great players, and Barkley was an all time great but perhaps if he played on better teams he would have that ring and be a part of the discussion with guys like Bird, Magic, and Jordan. 

He didn't, and with everything else he accomplished his career has to be considered dissapointing.  So he should probably just not be the most vocal person on this issue... but that is Barkley I suppose.  Even if he should not, he will always open his mouth.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
LeBron deserves all the criticism he gets.  Get 'em Charles (even though Charles isn't the best person to be talking)!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard

TP for you pointing out that Barkley's Philly team was bad. His last season in Phoenix wasn't great, either. 41-41. Demanding a trade from a bad team as opposed from a good team is much different I think.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I think some people don't know the background on some of this stuff. By the time Barkley was traded to Houston he had battled injuries for the previous three seasons and had seriously considered retirement. He would last just two more injury filled seasons in Houston before being injured in the beginning of his third ending his career. Also, FWIW the suns received a very good package for Barkley including Sam Cassel and Robert Horry. Comparing a player making movements at the end of his career in moves that benefit both parties is a lot different then hijacking the league when you are 25 and going to play with your best friends.... Lebron can do what he want, but it is incorrect to say Barkley did the same thing. It would also be incorrect to compare KG or Ray Allen in case people are thinking about it.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think Barkley was being hypocritical at all.  He says he thought Lebron should have stayed in Cleveland and was disappointed he joined Wade's team.  I think most people thought he should stay in Cleveland and many were surprised he joined Wade's team.  I also don't have a problem with him being critical of the special or their antics at the press conference.  Those two things don't really sit well with most people. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip