Author Topic: Hornets, Nets, Rockets, and Pacers working on deal  (Read 10685 times)

Re: Hornets, Nets, Rockets, and Pacers working on deal
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
So much for Houston being our trade partner in getting a wing for us.  Even though we'd have nothing to offer them with Sheed being waived now anyways.  Really don't know why Houston is doing this deal it is not a good one for them.  Ariza is their best wing I'd get rid of Battier over him definitely.
Why is Houston doing this trade?

I give you 10 million reasons.

The $5 million they save in salary and the $5 million they save in luxury tax.

I have said all along they would be shedding salary. I just had the wrong players being shed.

Expect another $3.5 million or so to be traded away by Houston to get under the luxury tax before it is all said and done.

Houston has never paid a luxury tax dollar....and won't.

SpearsNBAYahoo
Hou,NJ, NO and Indy trade done and trade call talking place, source tells Y!. Hou gets C Lee, NO gets Ariza, Indy Collison-Posey, NJ Murphy

Trade is done.

chadfordinsider
More details on proposed Hornets-Rockets-Pacers-Nets deal. HOU saving lots of $$$ http://es.pn/9kxM7n

Right when I saw this tweet I thought of what you said about the Rockets not wanting to pay the luxury tax dollar.  Still surpised it's Ariza they're giving up though.  I guess they really don't want to be over the luxury tax glad I'm a fan of a team that is not afraid to be over it.  
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
I guess Houston values being under the Luxury Tax more than winning a championship because they're not going to win a championship doing trades like this.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Indy will play Posey at the 4 behind (gulp)Hansborough?!?!

Yikes!!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
How may SF does Indiana need? Granger, George, Dunleavy, Posey, and Rush. I guess we just found a new potential trading partner for PP's backup.

They took on Posey to get Collison.  He has a terrible contract.  New Orleans gave up Collison to be out from under it, plus getting Ariza.  Still think they should get a pick too because of Collison's ability plus his potential and value (if CP3 leaves).

Rush also plays SG for that team.

Anyways, Indy wanted a PG bad and I thought they'd get one but this is much better than I thought I'd do.  Collison will be great for them.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Via Chad Ford's Twitter

Breaking: Hornets, Rockets, Pacers & Nets working on 4 team deal. Ariza to NO. C. Lee to HOU. Collison & Posey to IND. Murphy to NJ.

Good deal for all teams except Houston don't really like the deal for them.   Surprised that Houston is getting rid of Ariza and keeping Battier over him. 

I love the deal for Houston.  I am not a big Ariza fan, and think his contract is too much.  Battier is the better player, the leader of the team, and has the better contract.  And Lee fits in on that team perfectly as a 6th man behind Martin and Battier.  And Houston gets right down, near the luxury tax threshold, and open up more cap space for next summer.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Via Chad Ford's Twitter

Breaking: Hornets, Rockets, Pacers & Nets working on 4 team deal. Ariza to NO. C. Lee to HOU. Collison & Posey to IND. Murphy to NJ.

Good deal for all teams except Houston don't really like the deal for them.   Surprised that Houston is getting rid of Ariza and keeping Battier over him. 

I love the deal for Houston.  I am not a big Ariza fan, and think his contract is too much.  Battier is the better player, the leader of the team, and has the better contract.  And Lee fits in on that team perfectly as a 6th man behind Martin and Battier.  And Houston gets right down, near the luxury tax threshold, and open up more cap space for next summer.

Sorry Battier isn't the better player.  Ariza is almost as good or even as good defensively and a much better offensive player and rebounder.  Battier is a better outside shooter that is it.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Indy will play Posey at the 4 behind (gulp)Hansborough?!?!

Yikes!!!!

Getting rid of Troy Murphy is an addition by subtraction

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Posey and the pacers doesn't really work. How about a buy out and the return of Posey?

Larry HATES doing buyouts.  How many years did it take them before they finally bought out Tinsley?  Pretty sure they told Tinsley to stay away from the team for pretty much a full year before they finally bought him out.  He won't buy out Pose.

If Posey can play AT ALL anymore, O'bie will love him.  He'll play him as an undersized power forward, ask him to defend and to shoot as many 3s as he wants.  

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I guess Houston values being under the Luxury Tax more than winning a championship because they're not going to win a championship doing trades like this.

I agree, but Yao might not be right again (from the stories recently it sounds that way) and without him at his former level they won't win a title anyways.  No chance.

But it is sad to see teams give up and/or avoid paying luxury.  Houston does good for the value though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

I agree, but Yao might not be right again (from the stories recently it sounds that way) and without him at his former level they won't win a title anyways.  No chance.

But it is sad to see teams give up and/or avoid paying luxury.  Houston does good for the value though.

I heard lately that he should be good for trainning camp.

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Kevin Martin + Courtney Lee makes Houston very small on the wings. Both are small SGs who cannot play the three. Lee is a lousy rebounder and Martin is below average himself.

Also, Lee has struggled against Kobe Bryant in the past which makes them more vulnerable against their biggest rival.

The Rockets needed Trevor Ariza's size, athleticism defensive ability and rebounding on the wing. He is a very big loss for the Rockets ... and that loss will become greater and greater as Shane Battier continues to age.

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Indy is a team that knows they wont get over the hill for a couple years anyway. Their fine letting Posey play out his deal, and expire in 2012, when honestly, their really looking like they'll be in the mix at that point.

With Collinson now complimenting Granger, and the great up and comers they have like Hansborough and Stephenson, that team is really coming along.

I LOVE this trade for Indiana, and think all around it makes sense for just about every team.

Indiana clearly comes out on top, but no team really gets screwed here, it makes some sense for everyone involved.

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Kevin Martin + Courtney Lee makes Houston very small on the wings. Both are small SGs who cannot play the three. Lee is a lousy rebounder and Martin is below average himself.

Also, Lee has struggled against Kobe Bryant in the past which makes them more vulnerable against their biggest rival.

The Rockets needed Trevor Ariza's size, athleticism defensive ability and rebounding on the wing. He is a very big loss for the Rockets ... and that loss will become greater and greater as Shane Battier continues to age.

Couldn't agree more.  This is a really bad trade for Houston. I loved all the trades they were making up until this one and am very dissapointed in this deal.

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Darren Collison put up 20 and 8 while playing plus defense as a starter for half a season last year. He is a star talent. Giving him up for anything less than a youthful star talent in return is a mistake.

Troy Murphy can't defend his own shadow. The Nets already have two better power forwards on their roster with Favors and Humphries. Paying $10+ million to a guy who makes you worse + losing a very good young and cost effective role player like Courtney Lee is a very poor move.

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Don't sleep on Courtney Lee.  Very good, young player.  Not sure whether Jersey was disappointed in his development last year or not, didn't seem to QUITE take the next step in his development but he's still young and talented.  We know he can play D, too.

Ariza was a bad signing.  They never really needed him, and asked him to try and become something he was not - a go-to scorer.  But , they save some money, they still have Battier (who *is* the better player) and get a talented young wing back in return.  Unless you think they could have gotten more for Ariza, I like the deal from Houston's perspective.