Author Topic: Potential targets with Sheed's contract  (Read 18707 times)

Re: Potential targets with Sheed's contract
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Diaw would be a great fit however I dont think that would happen.

At this point I think the Cs should just look into getting posey back. Granted he isnt as good as when he was with us and he is over paid however his contract will be up when KG, Ray and Shaq's are. My hope would be that we could swing a Sheed for Posey and a protected first. Posey will help in the present and the pick will be a piece for the future
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think Corey Brewer is an extremely unlikely scenario. I do, however, think Boris Diaw could be had given he's $9 million and would probably be seeing major loss of playing time with Charlotte committed to Tyrus Thomas and Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace eating up about every single second of the SF minutes.

agreed brewer is unlikely unless the wolves can be dupped via a 3 team deal (i've thrown around one with the warriors for ellis -- could certainly see kahn trading for him).

don't see diaw as a fit. he can't guard SFs. he'd ride pine in boston.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I wonder if that's true.  I know he has spent most of his time the last few years as a PF (or even center), but he did have the ability to cover bigger SF's a few years ago.  Has that disappeared?  Or has he just been playing PF more out of necessity, due to the needs of the teams he was playing on?

I genuinely don't know.  Which is why I have him on my second (or maybe third) tier of targets, along with Nocioni, and behind Battier, Prince and JR Smith.

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
i still hold out hope that washington signed j howard as part of a rasheed sign and trade.

I think cap rules require a sign and trade to be 3 years at minimum ... so Howard is not a target.  Rudy is still realistic though - although I don't know if the Celtics have the best package available.  He would be a good pickup - clearly Portland's slow down inside-out jump shooting attack is not optimal for his skill set.

No offense but your assumption is wrong. Howard can be traded even though he signed a one year deal. The thing is is that he has to  wait until sometime in late december. That's a long time to hold onto Sheed... In that case it is not a sign and trade because he is not signed and immediately traded.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
i still hold out hope that washington signed j howard as part of a rasheed sign and trade.

I think cap rules require a sign and trade to be 3 years at minimum ... so Howard is not a target.  Rudy is still realistic though - although I don't know if the Celtics have the best package available.  He would be a good pickup - clearly Portland's slow down inside-out jump shooting attack is not optimal for his skill set.

No offense but your assumption is wrong. Howard can be traded even though he signed a one year deal. The thing is is that he has to  wait until sometime in late december. That's a long time to hold onto Sheed... In that case it is not a sign and trade because he is not signed and immediately traded.

Technically, a real S&T arrangement has to take place within 48 hours, and the player's got to be consenting (we can't trade Shaq today).  S&T's do also require a three-year contract, although only one year needs to be guaranteed.  Howard CAN be traded, but as noted not until December.

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 10:50:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I wonder if that's true.  I know he has spent most of his time the last few years as a PF (or even center), but he did have the ability to cover bigger SF's a few years ago.  Has that disappeared?  Or has he just been playing PF more out of necessity, due to the needs of the teams he was playing on?

I genuinely don't know.  Which is why I have him on my second (or maybe third) tier of targets, along with Nocioni, and behind Battier, Prince and JR Smith.

I'm not going to pretend to be a great authority on boris diaw, but i'm pretty sure the guy cannot play SF at either end of the floor. he's always had good ball skills for a big man (though he's not a good shooter), but he's never gotten back into shape since signing that large deal with PHX. his lateral quickness is marginal, to put it kindly....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How about trading Sheed for Rudy and getting a trade exception from the deal, is this possible?

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm not going to pretend to be a great authority on boris diaw, but i'm pretty sure the guy cannot play SF at either end of the floor. he's always had good ball skills for a big man (though he's not a good shooter), but he's never gotten back into shape since signing that large deal with PHX. his lateral quickness is marginal, to put it kindly....
I don't get the "he's not a good shooter thing".

His TS% for the last five years has been 56.4%, 57%, 51.6%, 56.5% and 55.2% while shooting a combined 49% from the field, 36.7% from three point land and 73.2% from the free throw line over the last 3 years.

That's pretty good shooting to me.

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
How about trading Sheed for Rudy and getting a trade exception from the deal, is this possible?

Still need 3rd team.

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

His TS% for the last five years has been 56.4%, 57%, 51.6%, 56.5% and 55.2% while shooting a combined 49% from the field, 36.7% from three point land and 73.2% from the free throw line over the last 3 years.

Boris Diaw is a marginal offensive player as a small forward. His only positive attribute is his post up ability but that means you have to convince him to stay down there + run your offense through him. If you fail to do both of those things, you'll get very little out of Diaw on that end of the floor.

The reason why Diaw is so much more effective offensively when playing the four or the five is because he creates a quickness advantage + skill advantage (15-25 foot jump shot, driving ability, passing/playmaking ability) against opposing bigs. But when you compare his skill-set and athleticism versus small forwards ... those advantages disappear. So Diaw has trouble creating offense for himself. Becomes passive. Over reliant on others. And generally unproductive. There will be large stretches of games where he is barely noticeable on the offensive end.

In terms of defense and rebounding, Diaw can defend all five positions on the court at an above average level. Again, he is best as a power forward. His anticipation, reading of the game, understanding of defensive rotations + his ability to defend the pick and roll at an elite level and switch onto any position on the floor (particularly valuable with big wings like S-Jax and G.Wallace who can do likewise) allows Diaw to seal up a lot of holes defensively.

It's not all negative about Diaw playing the three though. He is a pathetic rebounder for a power forward (hurts his team quite a lot here, needs a lot of protection) but about average for a three.

--------------------------------------

Power Forward = above average offensive player + very good defensive player + very poor rebounder

Small Forward = good defender + mediocre rebounder + below average but serviceable offensive player*

* can create mismatches in the low post though. Dangerous player down there. It's just a question of whether you can get him down there often enough to make up for his lack of productivity otherwise.

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Boris Diaw is a marginal offensive player as a small forward. His only positive attribute is his post up ability but that means you have to convince him to stay down there + run your offense through him. If you fail to do both of those things, you'll get very little out of Diaw on that end of the floor.

The reason why Diaw is so much more effective offensively when playing the four or the five is because he creates a quickness advantage + skill advantage (15-25 foot jump shot, driving ability, passing/playmaking ability) against opposing bigs. But when you compare his skill-set and athleticism versus small forwards ... those advantages disappear. So Diaw has trouble creating offense for himself. Becomes passive. Over reliant on others. And generally unproductive. There will be large stretches of games where he is barely noticeable on the offensive end.

In terms of defense and rebounding, Diaw can defend all five positions on the court at an above average level. Again, he is best as a power forward. His anticipation, reading of the game, understanding of defensive rotations + his ability to defend the pick and roll at an elite level and switch onto any position on the floor (particularly valuable with big wings like S-Jax and G.Wallace who can do likewise) allows Diaw to seal up a lot of holes defensively.

It's not all negative about Diaw playing the three though. He is a pathetic rebounder for a power forward (hurts his team quite a lot here, needs a lot of protection) but about average for a three.

Power Forward = above average offensive player + very good defensive player + very poor rebounder

Small Forward = good defender + mediocre rebounder + below average but serviceable offensive player*

* can create mismatches in the low post though. Dangerous player down there. It's just a question of whether you can get him down there often enough to make up for his lack of productivity otherwise.
I also think that as a trailing SF on the break with the second unit he would see a lot of wide open threes. Posey got a lot of his limited offense with the C's as a corner three option on the break and as a trailer three point shooter on the break. While I don't see Diaw being fast enough to get corner on the break, as a trailing shooter, he would be good.

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Corey Brewer is an extremely unlikely scenario. I do, however, think Boris Diaw could be had given he's $9 million and would probably be seeing major loss of playing time with Charlotte committed to Tyrus Thomas and Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace eating up about every single second of the SF minutes.

Why do you think it's extremely unlikely?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 09:29:28 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Great breakdown.  I would add that Diaw is a fantastic transition player when he's playing one of the big spots.  I didn't catch too much of him with Charlotte, but I remember how devastating the Diaw-Marion frontcourt was in transition.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Why do you think it's extremely unlikely?
1. Brewer started just about every single game last year for the Timberwolves at shooting guard and played close to 31 MPG at the position.

2. His only backups were Wayne Ellington and Damien Wilkins

3. Wilkins is not returning to the TWolves and they have not added any other SGs to the team only a plethora of pure small forwards in Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster and Lazar Hayward and a 3/4 hybrid player in Michael Beasley.

4, Jonny Flynn, the PG Brewer plays with the most, is short and lacks defensive skills that need to be made up for by having a good defensive SG with some size, which Corey Brewer is. Brewer is an excellent compliment to Flynn.

5. Brewer's offensive skills, especially his outside shooting, took a decent leap forward last year and this really pleased the Wolves management. Where omce they looked at him as a possible defensive specialist role player they now see him as more than that.

6. There has not even been a whisper of a hint of a rumor about Minnesota looking to move Brewer this off season.

7. If they trade Brewer they would definitely not be able to do it for a salary dump as they would be in dire need of a starting caliber SG to replace him.

For all these reasons, the likelihood of a trade for Brewer is remote at best and just not going to happen being most probable.

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »

Offline KobeGotRondoD

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think Sheed and Baby will be for Caron Butler or Shred for Shawn Marion would be the best options. Also I believe Cuban would dump one of those 2 guys for a big and salary relief.  Makes sense for that team.

The only thing with Dallas is that their filthy rich Mark Cuban doesn't really care about getting salary cap relief. the guy just gave a bid for the rangers for something like 50 million. yeah i dont he'll mind spending more to make the mavs a title contender