Author Topic: Potential targets with Sheed's contract  (Read 18724 times)

Re: Potential targets with Sheed's contract
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 05:22:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Of all the realistic targets (and most of the options in the OP were unrealistic), I think Boris Diaw makes the most sense.

He's got 2 years, $18 mil left, making him expensive enough to be a feasible salary dump and just the right expiration date for the Ainge two-year plan.

As currently constructed the Celtics have a surplus of scorers, some of whom require some degree of set-up to be most effective (Ray Allen, KG, Jermaine, Wafer) and a paucity of true playmakers (basically just Rondo).  We are also amply stocked at the 1/2 and 4/5, but a little bare at the 3 and nobody who can really qualify as a 3/4 unless you think Gody can play the 3 (I don't).

Diaw really fits the bill.  Like Rondo, he is pass first to a fault, and like Rondo, he has a real gift for it.  He's also a 3/4, quick enough to guard most 3s and strong enough to guard guys like Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom. 

He's also versatile enough that he can fill in for just about anyone in case of injury.

Sheed/Baby for Diaw/2nd round pick would be a nice deal for both sides.
Derrick Brown. Try to get Brown added onto the deal. An athletic and very long 6-7 wing player with stopper potential. Rebounds the ball well. Versatile, can play three positions. Nice prospect. I'd dump Marquis Daniels if Danny could get his hands on D.Brown. A three man backup wing rotation of Diaw-Brown-Von Wafer would be very talented. 

Boris Diaw is definitely available. The Bobcats seem to be very interested in moving him in order to free up playing time for Tyrus Thomas. And also to reduce their payroll.

If Danny was willing to take on that contract, I'd be very happy to have Diaw on the roster. A very talented defensive player. He would give the Celtics great lineup flexibility too with his ability to matchup with anyone defensively + to slot in either as a big three or a quick four in big or small/quick lineups.

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 05:38:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The more I ponder Diaw the more I think he's a perfect fit and a great use of Sheed's contract.  Perfect space filler at the wing at the 3 and 4 (may take some of Quis minutes though)but he can guard so many positions and could be the glue guy in so many lineups.  And besides with already 3 backups who need the ball on offense Shaq, Nate Wafer, it would be good to have a passer/defender/rebounder.  And yes he definitely would help bring small ball back, in a good way though. 

I think your right Who.  He's definitely available especially with them wanting to make room for Tyrus Thomas (likely as a starter) I doubt they give up Brown though.  Jordan's agenda appears to be to compete, but for cheap, and Derrick Brown is still on a reasonable rookie contract.  They dump Dampier and Sheed's salary and they are looking at quite a bit of cap room.

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 06:46:13 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I keep saying this, but I want someone younger, someone who can play with Rondo, Perk, Baby later.  That's why I want Corey Brewer.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Sheed+S&T Scal for Lebron, Wade, a cup of gatorade and the Heat Dancers

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some one will be available, Bankshot, there are always some moves at the trade deadline.  Some teams will not perform up to snuff and be looking to dump peeps, it always happens every year.  The downside to this is that it takes time to mesh peeps into the team's concept.  The upside is it gives you a lot of flexibility towards needs and what comes up.

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 07:42:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Some one will be available, Bankshot, there are always some moves at the trade deadline.  Some teams will not perform up to snuff and be looking to dump peeps, it always happens every year.  The downside to this is that it takes time to mesh peeps into the team's concept.  The upside is it gives you a lot of flexibility towards needs and what comes up.

Do you really want to hang on to that contract for a CHANCE of dealing it at the deadline? Paying Sheed all those money, not playing, without being sure that get to even trade it?

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
They won't hold onto it.  Come training camp, if a deal hasn't arisen, they'll send 'Sheed and $3M to a team that's under the cap.  Some kind of exchange of second round picks, as well, so that they net an additional pick.   'Sheed retires, takes a couple million, the other team keeps a little cash and gets a pick.  We get back a trade exception with a twelve-month expiration.

IF 'Sheed is on the roster come opening night, it will be because he has changed his mind about retiring - but I don't see 'Sheed changing his mind.

Only reason I can think of to not do this kind of trade NOW is that we can trade 'Sheed now for his salary +25%.  Pretty sure with a trade exception, there's no +25% when figuring the salaries. 

Too many dollars - salary and lux tax - to *not* get rid of 'Sheed before the season starts.

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2010, 08:29:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am all for using Sheed's contract to get something back if we can but I am surprised so many people are willing to throw in Davis to get back Diaw.  Even with Shaq signed (which is awesome in my opinion), if we trade Davis, we are probably going to see some of Erden at back up to the back up center until Perk is fully back.  People will miss games or get into foul trouble.  The squeeze may get put on the 3 position as well as we stand now but let's reinforce the 3 without weakening another position.

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 08:43:16 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
They won't hold onto it.  Come training camp, if a deal hasn't arisen, they'll send 'Sheed and $3M to a team that's under the cap.  Some kind of exchange of second round picks, as well, so that they net an additional pick.   'Sheed retires, takes a couple million, the other team keeps a little cash and gets a pick.  We get back a trade exception with a twelve-month expiration.

IF 'Sheed is on the roster come opening night, it will be because he has changed his mind about retiring - but I don't see 'Sheed changing his mind.

Only reason I can think of to not do this kind of trade NOW is that we can trade 'Sheed now for his salary +25%.  Pretty sure with a trade exception, there's no +25% when figuring the salaries. 

Too many dollars - salary and lux tax - to *not* get rid of 'Sheed before the season starts.

solid points here - there's even reason to wait because the longer you wait, the longer the trade exception will last into next year
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Of all the realistic targets (and most of the options in the OP were unrealistic), I think Boris Diaw makes the most sense.

He's got 2 years, $18 mil left, making him expensive enough to be a feasible salary dump and just the right expiration date for the Ainge two-year plan.

As currently constructed the Celtics have a surplus of scorers, some of whom require some degree of set-up to be most effective (Ray Allen, KG, Jermaine, Wafer) and a paucity of true playmakers (basically just Rondo).  We are also amply stocked at the 1/2 and 4/5, but a little bare at the 3 and nobody who can really qualify as a 3/4 unless you think Gody can play the 3 (I don't).

Diaw really fits the bill.  Like Rondo, he is pass first to a fault, and like Rondo, he has a real gift for it.  He's also a 3/4, quick enough to guard most 3s and strong enough to guard guys like Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom. 

He's also versatile enough that he can fill in for just about anyone in case of injury.

Derrick Brown. Try to get Brown added onto the deal. An athletic and very long 6-7 wing player with stopper potential. Rebounds the ball well. Versatile, can play three positions. Nice prospect. I'd dump Marquis Daniels if Danny could get his hands on D.Brown. A three man backup wing rotation of Diaw-Brown-Von Wafer would be very talented. 

Boris Diaw is definitely available. The Bobcats seem to be very interested in moving him in order to free up playing time for Tyrus Thomas. And also to reduce their payroll.

If Danny was willing to take on that contract, I'd be very happy to have Diaw on the roster. A very talented defensive player. He would give the Celtics great lineup flexibility too with his ability to matchup with anyone defensively + to slot in either as a big three or a quick four in big or small/quick lineups.

Have always thought how good it would be to see Diaw in Green. One of my favorite players and a perfect fit for the C's as currently constituted.

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Have always thought how good it would be to see Diaw in Green. One of my favorite players and a perfect fit for the C's as currently constituted.

diaw is fat and lazy. congrats on 1000, gar.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Sheed's contract + BBD + Lafayette for Troy Murphy.
Works in the trade checker:
http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/3/

If he'll be PP's or PF back up that will be awesome. Rebounds, scores  from mid to long range and defends well. Is quicker than BBD. Will be unrestricted FA next season. Though Larry might not allow it.

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
nickagneta has been harping on the idea that houston will choose not to pay the lux tax this year and therefore will need to deal a player or two for immediate salary relief. this idea certainly has merit considering they struck out on the bosh sweepstakes and yao ming's future is up in the air.

if so, the obvious position is SF for them, where they're loaded. i'm going to say they're not likely to deal ariza at this point, nor buddinger, and no one is taking jeffries in anything other than a salary dump. that leaves shane battier, who would obviously be an excellent fit. he's really the most logical fit out there assuming their open to giving him up. i know they've been hesitant to in the past, but the dollars and cents may prove prohibitive for them.

it bares watching...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:22 AM »

Offline StealthB

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think we need a defensive mind wing with some length to replace Tony Allen.  We have enough shooters with Wafer, Allen, and Nate.  Quis can back up Pierce and Allen, but he can't guard Lebron or Kobe effectively and as others eluded to he's always injured.  Also, he's a terrible shooter.  Best case dream scenario is to somehow land Battier with Sheed's contract, fillers, and a draft pick.  Having Battier would give us the Lebron and Kobe stopper we need and a true SF.  I like the idea of Brewer because he is 6'9 and is defensive minded.  It sounds like we are considering Hughes who is a decent defender, but I am not sold. 

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Corey Brewer is an extremely unlikely scenario. I do, however, think Boris Diaw could be had given he's $9 million and would probably be seeing major loss of playing time with Charlotte committed to Tyrus Thomas and Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace eating up about every single second of the SF minutes.