Author Topic: Potential targets with Sheed's contract  (Read 18650 times)

Re: Potential targets with Sheed's contract
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If Houston decides to dump Battier, it's a no-brainer.  However, I don't see that happening. 

Outside that, I'd strongly consider (but still have reservations) about doing a Perk + Sheed for Tayshaun.  While I hate giving up Perk, given the fact that he might not get back to full form this year and that Danny might not want to give him a big long term contract, if we could get someone like Prince, we'd fully ensure that Doc will rest PP and Ray and also ensure we have a big body to put on the likes of Kobe and LeBron. 

If not that, if nothing else better comes up, I also wouldn't mind a Sheed for Posey deal.  Posey is the perfect backup 3 for this team, and unlike '08 he'd only have to backup PP for 15 mpg per night or so. 

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why don't people just take Rasheed's, Danny',  Doc's and everyone else's word on the subject of Rasheed's retirement and learn that Sheed is not coming back, he is retired, he is giving up his last two years of his contract and there will be no buy out.

I just don't get why people can't accept these things when the people directly involved are stating them and have zero reason to state a falsehood on the matter.

Rasheed Wallace is retiring and will not be back people!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Why don't people just take Rasheed's, Danny',  Doc's and everyone else's word on the subject of Rasheed's retirement and learn that Sheed is not coming back, he is retired, he is giving up his last two years of his contract and there will be no buy out.

I just don't get why people can't accept these things when the people directly involved are stating them and have zero reason to state a falsehood on the matter.

$13 million reasons. Even more so now with the addition of the O'neals. Sheed can rest and still be part of this team. Its honorable for him to retire and forfeit $13mil. But I'll believe once he officially signs the retirement papers or gets traded. For now Sheed is a Celtic. Wear nice suits and get paid.

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

$13 million reasons. Even more so now with the addition of the O'neals. Sheed can rest and still be part of this team. Its honorable for him to retire and forfeit $13mil. But I'll believe once he officially signs the retirement papers or gets traded. For now Sheed is a Celtic. Wear nice suits and get paid.
Unbelievable!!! ::) ::)

I guess you don't believe Shaq signed with the team either because there's no way he would sign just a vet min contract,  so it doesn't matter what the Celtics, Shaq and media outlets are saying, you're just not going to believe Shaq is a Celtic until he suits up that first time. Right? ::) ::)

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Why don't people just take Rasheed's, Danny',  Doc's and everyone else's word on the subject of Rasheed's retirement and learn that Sheed is not coming back, he is retired, he is giving up his last two years of his contract and there will be no buy out.

Unbelievable!!! ::) ::)

I guess you don't believe Shaq signed with the team either because there's no way he would sign just a vet min contract,  so it doesn't matter what the Celtics, Shaq and media outlets are saying, you're just not going to believe Shaq is a Celtic until he suits up that first time. Right? ::) ::)

well, Shaq has signed a contract, but Rasheed has not filed retirement papers or commented at all on his future since a week after the finals. He is still part of the roster and if he decides one morning to give it a go, he can play, it's still his option.

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
i don't think sheed is retiring.  I thinkl he'll be in green next year.  On the other hand, with BBD looking for a big pay day and Danny not likely to give him one, I think he may be traded if Sheed stays.

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Could be wrong but don't believe BBD will be traded soon. He's part of Shrek & Donkey, and now he has follow LSU alum Shaq on the squad. Also, he's a "latter resort" center in case Shaq or JO get hurt before Perk returns.

Still hoping Sheed has his contract traded for a *quality* wing, retires, then joins us at playoff time. By trading Sheed's $6M contract, plus draft pick(s), plus someone who won't play for us, getting a $6M + wing should be doable. Some may ask about the minutes for Perk, JO, Shaq, and Sheed, but I'm not relying on Perk being back 100% by the end of the year. I believe these guys wouldn't quarrel over minutes. As we saw in the Finals you never know when a big man can go down - you can't have enough against LA.

If Sheed comes back, that's OK too. He's not expected to play huge minutes now.

Saw an earlier post about Josh Howard but not available via S&T. Did I understand correctly this has to do with "3 years"?

Anyway, I'd like a *quality* wing, not just someone else to fill a roster. Preferably an excellent defender and athletic. Someone who could start on some teams. Grant Hill or Battier might work. Someone of their ability or better.

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Could be wrong but don't believe BBD will be traded soon. He's part of Shrek & Donkey, and now he has follow LSU alum Shaq on the squad. Also, he's a "latter resort" center in case Shaq or JO get hurt before Perk returns.

Still hoping Sheed has his contract traded for a *quality* wing, retires, then joins us at playoff time. By trading Sheed's $6M contract, plus draft pick(s), plus someone who won't play for us, getting a $6M + wing should be doable. Some may ask about the minutes for Perk, JO, Shaq, and Sheed, but I'm not relying on Perk being back 100% by the end of the year. I believe these guys wouldn't quarrel over minutes. As we saw in the Finals you never know when a big man can go down - you can't have enough against LA.

Saw an earlier post about Josh Howard but not available via S&T. Did I understand correctly this has to do with "3 years"?

Anyway, I'd like a *quality* wing, not just someone else to fill a roster. Preferably an excellent defender and athletic. Someone who could start on some teams. Grant Hill or Battier might work. Someone of their ability or better.

Wouldn't trade him now. 

However, if it's February and Perk is on track to come back and Von Wafer and Marquis aren't cutting it, I'd think about it. 

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

Wouldn't trade him now. 

However, if it's February and Perk is on track to come back and Von Wafer and Marquis aren't cutting it, I'd think about it. 
It will be interesting around the trade deadline. Will Perk be back, and in what condition? Will Sheed still be here? What will the injury situation be? As you said, what if MD & Von aren't getting it done?

Hoping for that great wing...  :)

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 11:31:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think Baby is here for the long haul.  I'd love Battier but I don't  think they have any chance of moving him before the deadline.  My best guesses and hopes for a move on Sheed's contract before training camp (which makes the most sense because I do believe he is gone and other than that would have to report)  is

A) Posey (I think with Wafer and Marquis they are great insurance for the steps he's lost and he fills in some of their cracks)

B) Shawn Marion (the years on his contract are not ideal) but he works straight up for Sheed's contract would appear to be having a diminishing role in Dallas and I don't think Cuban would mind saving the money with all he's spent this summer, plus he's the perfect defensive/athletic vet wing for us.  With Nate and Wafer to stretch the floor his lack of long range shooting is less of an issue.

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Of all the realistic targets (and most of the options in the OP were unrealistic), I think Boris Diaw makes the most sense.

He's got 2 years, $18 mil left, making him expensive enough to be a feasible salary dump and just the right expiration date for the Ainge two-year plan.

As currently constructed the Celtics have a surplus of scorers, some of whom require some degree of set-up to be most effective (Ray Allen, KG, Jermaine, Wafer) and a paucity of true playmakers (basically just Rondo).  We are also amply stocked at the 1/2 and 4/5, but a little bare at the 3 and nobody who can really qualify as a 3/4 unless you think Gody can play the 3 (I don't).

Diaw really fits the bill.  Like Rondo, he is pass first to a fault, and like Rondo, he has a real gift for it.  He's also a 3/4, quick enough to guard most 3s and strong enough to guard guys like Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom. 

He's also versatile enough that he can fill in for just about anyone in case of injury.

Sheed/Baby for Diaw/2nd round pick would be a nice deal for both sides.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49:06 AM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
For the first time I actually believe now that Big Baby may be in play for a trade.

We have KG, JO, Shaq, Perk(maybe) after the all-star break. We also have Luke and there are still several vet min 4's available.

Baby could be a trade chip with Sheed's deal to bring back both a wing and a 4.

I think the possibilities are endless. I would love to see BBD and Sheed + filler to NO for West and Posey.

Posey would be very effectively defensively in a limited role. Wafer would still be a long distance shooter and we know Posey can hit the big shots. KG fueled Posey in his one year with us.

West is an all-star caliber PF. I really love his game. We would get older, but I doubt BBD is re-signed by us any ways.

How about Sheed's contract and BBD for Iguodala, or for Caron Butler?  The wing situation would be awesome, and the frontcourt would still be stacked, especially if Sheed gets bought out and could come back to us in March.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 03:03:45 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
Of all the realistic targets (and most of the options in the OP were unrealistic), I think Boris Diaw makes the most sense.

He's got 2 years, $18 mil left, making him expensive enough to be a feasible salary dump and just the right expiration date for the Ainge two-year plan.

As currently constructed the Celtics have a surplus of scorers, some of whom require some degree of set-up to be most effective (Ray Allen, KG, Jermaine, Wafer) and a paucity of true playmakers (basically just Rondo).  We are also amply stocked at the 1/2 and 4/5, but a little bare at the 3 and nobody who can really qualify as a 3/4 unless you think Gody can play the 3 (I don't).

Diaw really fits the bill.  Like Rondo, he is pass first to a fault, and like Rondo, he has a real gift for it.  He's also a 3/4, quick enough to guard most 3s and strong enough to guard guys like Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom. 

He's also versatile enough that he can fill in for just about anyone in case of injury.

Sheed/Baby for Diaw/2nd round pick would be a nice deal for both sides.

TP but we don't need Baby's contract to get him money fits using just Sheed, Gaffney and Lafayette in the trade machine.

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:48 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Battier is the best of the realistic optinos. Iguadala, Josh Howard, Tayshaun Prince, Caron Butler...they're not walking through that door.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
How bout 2 separate trades(due to contract restrictions)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=256dgjd

and

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2cyahbl

Essentially, it's Sheed,BBD, Gaffney and Laffayete to CHA for
             Boris Diaw and Najera

For them its a salary dump plus vet addition of BBD(still SOME room to grow)

For us, we get 2 SFs that can also play PF. This is crucial to our roster for two reason. 1) Risk of Injuries b/c the age of our players. 2) We have so many bigs as is once Perk comes back - KG,JO,SO,Perk,Erdin,Luke.

Rondo - Nate - Bradley
Ray - Wafer - Quis
Pierce - Diaw - Najera
KG - JO - Luke
Perk - Shaq - Erdin

Full roster till February, so enough time to get Perk back and test the rotations. If we're on path to win 60+ games, then leave it alone. Otherwise cut the dead weight and sign Sheed to the PJBrown contract just in time for the playoffs
Can't stop, Rondo!