Author Topic: Potential targets with Sheed's contract  (Read 18716 times)

Re: Potential targets with Sheed's contract
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Personally I think our roster is pretty well set. I think a lot of people on this board forget we have a great athletic back up to Paul Pierce in Marquis. This team was 16 - 4 with him playing 20 minutes a game. His numbers werent overwhelming but he was shooting 50% and averaging a little over 6 a game in 20 minutes.

After his injury he came back real strong. The team went 12 - 6 while he averaged 10 and 3 a game before falling out of the rotation for Tony's defense. I think Marquis deserves more credit. And with the addition of Von Wafer I really like our bench...

At this point, my idea is to hold onto Sheed's contract until around January or Feb. Perkins comes back and I feel that makes Big Baby expendable since he would become the 5th big man. Packaging Sheed and Baby at the deadline to a team looking for some cap room to dump a big salary star at the wing would be ideal. Guys like Caron, Marion, Danny Granger, Iguodala and J.R. Smith all come to mind.

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
    OK, so all of these guys match-up (or are close), money-wise with Sheed’s deal (some by adding Lafayette/Gaffney):

• Shane Battier or Trevor Ariza, Houston: (They’re kind of redundant on that team so I bet one could be had, probably Battier since he’s older.)

• Tayshaun Prince, Detroit (I think the C’s would have to sign and trade someone else, maybe Scal, to a minimum deal to make this happen.)

• Andres Nocioni, Philadelphia (Not a fan but his name has been mentioned before.)

• Delonte West, FA (For the minimum?  Maybe.  They could certainly do worse.)

• Corey Brewer + filler, Minnesota (Best case scenario in my opinion. He’s close to TA on defense but a better b-ball IQ and just reaching his potential.)

• James Posey, New Orleans (A proven fit, a locker room stabilizer and his contract meets Danny’s two-year plan requirement.  C’s could easily have him for Wallace.  They may even be able to get a pick from the Hornets for taking on his money.)

• Grant Hill + filler, Phoenix (Another perfect fit.  Phoenix just got Turkoglu and they have a reputation for being cheap.  Hill could be available for cap relief.)

• Francisco Garcia, Sacramento (Don’t know too much about his game but have also seen his name brought up before.  Signed for three more years at $5-6 million.  Not sure ownership would deem him worthy of that contract.)

Anyone I missed that you guys would rather target?

[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

I don't think the Celtics are interested in Prince considering he'd only get about 12 minutes per game at the 3. Thats not worth 10 million plus luxury tax expenses. There are zero minutes available for him at the 4.

i think Battier is definitely worth a first round pick. This could be worth waiting for if Houston has interest. I haven't read anything substantial about this though. Ditto for Ariza - and less interest considering the 2 year plan.

West isn't worth much to the Celtics considering how stacked they are at the 1/2.

Brewer would be cool. But I don't get why anyone thinks Minnesota wants to salary dump him. Same goes for Garcia in Sacramento. He's a good player and there is no smoke there. Hill also doesn't need to go anywhere. Phoenix's stack of wings can all play a variety of positions. They aren't going to give Hill away.

That leaves Posey and Nocioni. To be honest I dont think their price tag is worth it. they aren't that much of an upgrade over Daniels and Wafer.

My pick - keep bugging Houston for Battier.

Maybe we can offer a first round pick to Minnesota to entice them to part with Brewer.  I know they aren't looking to move him, but they do have a logjam at the 2/3 so they might be willing to move him if they can get another shot in the draft.  Brewer is probably behind Beasley and Webster on the depth chart anyway.
    "If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
    • Ed Macauley
    • Tommy Points: 764
    • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
      OK, so all of these guys match-up (or are close), money-wise with Sheed’s deal (some by adding Lafayette/Gaffney):

• Shane Battier or Trevor Ariza, Houston: (They’re kind of redundant on that team so I bet one could be had, probably Battier since he’s older.)

• Tayshaun Prince, Detroit (I think the C’s would have to sign and trade someone else, maybe Scal, to a minimum deal to make this happen.)

• Andres Nocioni, Philadelphia (Not a fan but his name has been mentioned before.)

• Corey Brewer + filler, Minnesota (Best case scenario in my opinion. He’s close to TA on defense but a better b-ball IQ and just reaching his potential.)

• James Posey, New Orleans (A proven fit, a locker room stabilizer and his contract meets Danny’s two-year plan requirement.  C’s could easily have him for Wallace.  They may even be able to get a pick from the Hornets for taking on his money.)

• Grant Hill + filler, Phoenix (Another perfect fit.  Phoenix just got Turkoglu and they have a reputation for being cheap.  Hill could be available for cap relief.)

• Francisco Garcia, Sacramento (Don’t know too much about his game but have also seen his name brought up before.  Signed for three more years at $5-6 million.  Not sure ownership would deem him worthy of that contract.)

I don't think the Celtics are interested in Prince considering he'd only get about 12 minutes per game at the 3. Thats not worth 10 million plus luxury tax expenses. There are zero minutes available for him at the 4.

i think Battier is definitely worth a first round pick. This could be worth waiting for if Houston has interest. I haven't read anything substantial about this though. Ditto for Ariza - and less interest considering the 2 year plan.

West isn't worth much to the Celtics considering how stacked they are at the 1/2.

Brewer would be cool. But I don't get why anyone thinks Minnesota wants to salary dump him. Same goes for Garcia in Sacramento. He's a good player and there is no smoke there. Hill also doesn't need to go anywhere. Phoenix's stack of wings can all play a variety of positions. They aren't going to give Hill away.

That leaves Posey and Nocioni. To be honest I dont think their price tag is worth it. they aren't that much of an upgrade over Daniels and Wafer.

Maybe we can offer a first round pick to Minnesota to entice them to part with Brewer.  I know they aren't looking to move him, but they do have a logjam at the 2/3 so they might be willing to move him if they can get another shot in the draft.  Brewer is probably behind Beasley and Webster on the depth chart anyway.
      I think they'd trade him for a first but I'm not positive that is a deal we want to do.
      DKC:  Rockets
      CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
      Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
      Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 05:24:35 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
      • Tommy Points: 3060
      • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
      Does Battier not start anymore? Hasnt he always started?

i dont recall seeing much of him last year
      "7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

I think they'd trade him for a first but I'm not positive that is a deal we want to do.

Why wouldn't we give up a first rounder for a young player who was a first round pick himself?  He's young but ready to play already.
        "If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
        • Tommy Points: 8794
        • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
        Does Battier not start anymore? Hasnt he always started?

i dont recall seeing much of him last year
        With Kevin Martin there and healthy Battier will see limited minutes at the 2. First, his defense there, which used to be such a strength isn't that good for that position any longer and also because Martin can be a prolific scorer who should be getting 36-38 MPG. His minutes at the 3 will be just as sparse as the Rockets are really high on Ariza and Budinger at the 3 and can use Jeffries there as well..

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
        • Tommy Points: 544
        Sheed might not retire. Why would he now? This team has a chance to win next season. Even if never suits again he has an opportunity to be part of history, and the paychecks would be hard to pass up.

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
        • Tommy Points: 59
        Sheed might not retire. Why would he now? This team has a chance to win next season. Even if never suits again he has an opportunity to be part of history, and the paychecks would be hard to pass up.

I say we bring back Sheed and sign D-west for the vet min as an insurance.

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
        • Tommy Points: 1200
        Personally I think our roster is pretty well set. I think a lot of people on this board forget we have a great athletic back up to Paul Pierce in Marquis.

While part of me would like to hold onto Sheed's contract for a later point (though I don't know if the NBA would let us do this), I disagree with your thoughts on Quis. He's too big of a health risk to rely on, and Paul Pierce can't play similar mintues to what he did last season.

Here's games played throughout his career: 54, 54, 74, 45, 62, 60, 56

If you could turn injuries off, Quis would be enough.

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
        • Tommy Points: 222
        this is a crazy idea but might work...say sheed decides to come back maybe the celtics can go with a big bench lineup of:

shaq, davis, sheed,daniels and robinson..sheed would just be in a corner getting open to shoot threes and can give pierce some extra rest
        Pick 2 Heat: 
        Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
        Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
        SF: Lebron/M. Williams
        PF: Bosh/Humphries
        C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
        • Tommy Points: 31
        For the first time I actually believe now that Big Baby may be in play for a trade.

We have KG, JO, Shaq, Perk(maybe) after the all-star break. We also have Luke and there are still several vet min 4's available.

Baby could be a trade chip with Sheed's deal to bring back both a wing and a 4.

I think the possibilities are endless. I would love to see BBD and Sheed + filler to NO for West and Posey.

Posey would be very effectively defensively in a limited role. Wafer would still be a long distance shooter and we know Posey can hit the big shots. KG fueled Posey in his one year with us.

West is an all-star caliber PF. I really love his game. We would get older, but I doubt BBD is re-signed by us any ways.

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
        • The Natural
        • Tommy Points: 6430
        • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
        Personally I think our roster is pretty well set. I think a lot of people on this board forget we have a great athletic back up to Paul Pierce in Marquis. This team was 16 - 4 with him playing 20 minutes a game. His numbers werent overwhelming but he was shooting 50% and averaging a little over 6 a game in 20 minutes.

After his injury he came back real strong. The team went 12 - 6 while he averaged 10 and 3 a game before falling out of the rotation for Tony's defense. I think Marquis deserves more credit. And with the addition of Von Wafer I really like our bench...

At this point, my idea is to hold onto Sheed's contract until around January or Feb. Perkins comes back and I feel that makes Big Baby expendable since he would become the 5th big man. Packaging Sheed and Baby at the deadline to a team looking for some cap room to dump a big salary star at the wing would be ideal. Guys like Caron, Marion, Danny Granger, Iguodala and J.R. Smith all come to mind.

The problem with Marquis is that he can't be relied upon.  He has never played more than 74 games in a season, and he's missed at least 20 games in 6 of his 7 years in the league.  Yet, as of right now, he's the only true small forward we have on the roster other than Paul Pierce.

Let's say Marquis misses 15 games (which, again, is generous based upon his track record).  That means for roughly 1/5th of the season, we've got a 6'5" Von Wafer, a slow Luke Harangody, or a tired Ray Allen playing backup small forward.  None of those scenarios is desirable.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
        • Tommy Points: 2523

I'm not as sure about Quis as you are, but I completely agree with the rest of your post.  TP.  Now is the time to hang onto Sheed if you can.  Too many unknowns that will be clearer in February.  And, I agree that Danny may be able to steal some serious talent if they are patient.

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
        • Johnny Most
        • Tommy Points: 1323
        Some one is going to be hard up for cash at the trade deadline and out of contention.  Swoop in hard and get what we need then.

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
        Some one is going to be hard up for cash at the trade deadline and out of contention.  Swoop in hard and get what we need then.

What if no one is trading a player we need or want?  I don't like waiting until the deadline not knowing if what you need will be available.