Author Topic: Potential targets with Sheed's contract  (Read 18726 times)

Potential targets with Sheed's contract
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »

Offline ebrick0340

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
OK, so all of these guys match-up (or are close), money-wise with Sheed’s deal (some by adding Lafayette/Gaffney):

• Shane Battier or Trevor Ariza, Houston: (They’re kind of redundant on that team so I bet one could be had, probably Battier since he’s older.)

• Tayshaun Prince, Detroit (I think the C’s would have to sign and trade someone else, maybe Scal, to a minimum deal to make this happen.)

• Andres Nocioni, Philadelphia (Not a fan but his name has been mentioned before.)

• Delonte West, FA (For the minimum?  Maybe.  They could certainly do worse.)

• Corey Brewer + filler, Minnesota (Best case scenario in my opinion. He’s close to TA on defense but a better b-ball IQ and just reaching his potential.)

• James Posey, New Orleans (A proven fit, a locker room stabilizer and his contract meets Danny’s two-year plan requirement.  C’s could easily have him for Wallace.  They may even be able to get a pick from the Hornets for taking on his money.)

• Grant Hill + filler, Phoenix (Another perfect fit.  Phoenix just got Turkoglu and they have a reputation for being cheap.  Hill could be available for cap relief.)

• Francisco Garcia, Sacramento (Don’t know too much about his game but have also seen his name brought up before.  Signed for three more years at $5-6 million.  Not sure ownership would deem him worthy of that contract.)

Anyone I missed that you guys would rather target?

[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Re: Potential targets with Sheed's contract
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My ideal trade is either Sheed for Jamario Moon/Leon Powe (I know. shut up.) or Sheed + a FRP for Fransisco Garcia+Omri Casspi

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think there's a few teams that need to be watched before the season starts:

Houston - They are about $8.3 million over the luxury tax and are a team that has never paid the luxury tax. I think they will try to move either Jeffries or Battier with another player for salary relief to get out from under luxury tax threshold. Doing so would mean a $20 million savings for them($8.3 million in salary. $8.3 million in luxury tax and they then are eligible to receive the luxury tax escrow dispersal which last year was $3.7 million).

Golden State - new ownership means new management and Larry Riley and Don Nelson could be long gone and the team could look to move parts for cap space and picks. Vladimir Radmanovic and Brendan Wright would make a lot of sense for the Celtics.

Denver - the Nuggets are in the process of turning over their upper management team and bringing in new people for a "fresh new look". That usually means ownership doesn't like the players on the team and the management does. Also, if Carmelo Anthony does not sign that extension before the season starts, that new management team could be thinking he is a goner. Rasheed and Baby could possibly net the Celtics Kenyon Martin.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Houston - They are about $8.3 million over the luxury tax and are a team that has never paid the luxury tax. I think they will try to move either Jeffries or Battier with another player for salary relief to get out from under luxury tax threshold. Doing so would mean a $20 million savings for them($8.3 million in salary. $8.3 million in luxury tax and they then are eligible to receive the luxury tax escrow dispersal which last year was $3.7 million).

I think this is a misconception a lot of people have about Houston.

1) Houston has said openly they don't care about the Lux tax this season, because with the lockout looming it will be a decent shot for them to try to win something.

2) If Houston does a salary dump, they can wait until the trading deadline, so that's going to end up being too late for Sheed anyways.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

1) Houston has said openly they don't care about the Lux tax this season, because with the lockout looming it will be a decent shot for them to try to win something.

2) If Houston does a salary dump, they can wait until the trading deadline, so that's going to end up being too late for Sheed anyways.
I have seen quotes from Houston management saying that they would spend what they had to spend to keep their free agents. I have never seen a quote saying they were willing to pay luxury tax this year. I see the two as mutually exclusive. They paid what they had to pay to keep Lowry and Scola but that doesn't mean they won't trim some fat elsewhere to get below the luxury tax. David Anderson(a $2.5 million salary) has already gone for a future 2nd rounder.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think Sheed and Baby will be for Caron Butler or Shred for Shawn Marion would be the best options. Also I believe Cuban would dump one of those 2 guys for a big and salary relief.  Makes sense for that team.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I have seen quotes from Houston management saying that they would spend what they had to spend to keep their free agents. I have never seen a quote saying they were willing to pay luxury tax this year. I see the two as mutually exclusive. They paid what they had to pay to keep Lowry and Scola but that doesn't mean they won't trim some fat elsewhere to get below the luxury tax. David Anderson(a $2.5 million salary) has already gone for a future 2nd rounder.

Nope, I'm 100% positive Darryl Moray said in an interview that the luxury tax this season was not an issue because of their cap relief next year and the impending lockout.

Maybe if I catch some downtime tongiht I will find it, and then you sir will owe me a coke.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:44 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
i still hold out hope that washington signed j howard as part of a rasheed sign and trade.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
want a young wing to play behind PP....Rudy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm still hoping we somehow land Battier with Sheed's contract plus draft picks but it sounds like a pipe dream since Morey has made it clear that they loved him too much (rightfully so) to get rid of him for cap relief.

But Battier would be the perfect fit for this Celtics squad.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
i still hold out hope that washington signed j howard as part of a rasheed sign and trade.

I think cap rules require a sign and trade to be 3 years at minimum ... so Howard is not a target.  Rudy is still realistic though - although I don't know if the Celtics have the best package available.  He would be a good pickup - clearly Portland's slow down inside-out jump shooting attack is not optimal for his skill set.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i wonder why it is taking so long to get this done one way or another. If he comes back then say that...if not...lets complete this team:My opening night dress list would be this:

1 rondo PG
2 Ray SG
3 PP SF
 4 KG PF
5 JO C
6 Shaq C
7 Nate PG
8 Daniels SF
9 Baby PF
10 Wafer SG
11 Player from Sheed's Contract SF
12 Bradley PG/SG
13 Perk in a suit
14 Gody in a suit
15 Erden in a suit

Scal is the ball boy

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Nope, I'm 100% positive Darryl Moray said in an interview that the luxury tax this season was not an issue because of their cap relief next year and the impending lockout.

Maybe if I catch some downtime tongiht I will find it, and then you sir will owe me a coke.
Oh good. I knew I liked you for some reason IP. You're a coke guy!!! I love coke, hate pepsi. TP if you find it and here's one for liking Coca Cola.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
    OK, so all of these guys match-up (or are close), money-wise with Sheed’s deal (some by adding Lafayette/Gaffney):

• Shane Battier or Trevor Ariza, Houston: (They’re kind of redundant on that team so I bet one could be had, probably Battier since he’s older.)

• Tayshaun Prince, Detroit (I think the C’s would have to sign and trade someone else, maybe Scal, to a minimum deal to make this happen.)

• Andres Nocioni, Philadelphia (Not a fan but his name has been mentioned before.)

• Delonte West, FA (For the minimum?  Maybe.  They could certainly do worse.)

• Corey Brewer + filler, Minnesota (Best case scenario in my opinion. He’s close to TA on defense but a better b-ball IQ and just reaching his potential.)

• James Posey, New Orleans (A proven fit, a locker room stabilizer and his contract meets Danny’s two-year plan requirement.  C’s could easily have him for Wallace.  They may even be able to get a pick from the Hornets for taking on his money.)

• Grant Hill + filler, Phoenix (Another perfect fit.  Phoenix just got Turkoglu and they have a reputation for being cheap.  Hill could be available for cap relief.)

• Francisco Garcia, Sacramento (Don’t know too much about his game but have also seen his name brought up before.  Signed for three more years at $5-6 million.  Not sure ownership would deem him worthy of that contract.)

Anyone I missed that you guys would rather target?

[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

I don't think the Celtics are interested in Prince considering he'd only get about 12 minutes per game at the 3. Thats not worth 10 million plus luxury tax expenses. There are zero minutes available for him at the 4.

i think Battier is definitely worth a first round pick. This could be worth waiting for if Houston has interest. I haven't read anything substantial about this though. Ditto for Ariza - and less interest considering the 2 year plan.

West isn't worth much to the Celtics considering how stacked they are at the 1/2.

Brewer would be cool. But I don't get why anyone thinks Minnesota wants to salary dump him. Same goes for Garcia in Sacramento. He's a good player and there is no smoke there. Hill also doesn't need to go anywhere. Phoenix's stack of wings can all play a variety of positions. They aren't going to give Hill away.

That leaves Posey and Nocioni. To be honest I dont think their price tag is worth it. they aren't that much of an upgrade over Daniels and Wafer.

My pick - keep bugging Houston for Battier.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
    • Ed Macauley
    • Tommy Points: 764
    • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
    I'd be happy if we could just get a trade Exception for Sheed's contract (maybe even send Gaffney and Laffayette to another team too to increase it's size).

DKC:  Rockets
    CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
    Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
    Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19