Author Topic: It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks  (Read 8027 times)

It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
There has been an awful lot of negative posting going on lately.

I dont see what any of us has to complain about, we all wanted PP and RA back and we got them, we got 2 big-name bigs and a few young athletic guys with potential.

What more could you ask for? Were we supposed to magically sign Kobe, Dwight and Lebron?

Get real, we have had an awesome off-season and we're gonna be better next year than we were this year!
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

Re: It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am just asking for a reality check. Not too much to ask for, is it?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

Fair enough.

The Celtics imo did not have a ton of cards to play.  We know LeBron, Bosh and Wade made their sisterhood plans months ago.  The Bulls and Knicks had a ton of cap room and a lot of incentive to spend it.  We might have been left holding the bag with Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay if we went nuclear - yuck! 

In the end, Danny deciding to load up for these next two seasons - and one of the seasons might be shortened with the lockout - and focusing on 2012 as the rebuild year - if smart.  The Celtics did not make a ton of wow moves, but their moves have been true to a real organizational plan - so on that basis alone, I give them credit.

This was Danny's best option to contend in the next 2 years while not creating another long period of irrelevancy in the future.  It won't make them favorites to win the title or be the best of the East, but it keeps them viable.  And that is a significant achievement.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Fair enough.

The Celtics imo did not have a ton of cards to play.  We know LeBron, Bosh and Wade made their sisterhood plans months ago.  The Bulls and Knicks had a ton of cap room and a lot of incentive to spend it.  We might have been left holding the bag with Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay if we went nuclear - yuck! 

In the end, Danny deciding to load up for these next two seasons - and one of the seasons might be shortened with the lockout - and focusing on 2012 as the rebuild year - if smart.  The Celtics did not make a ton of wow moves, but their moves have been true to a real organizational plan - so on that basis alone, I give them credit.

This was Danny's best option to contend in the next 2 years while not creating another long period of irrelevancy in the future.  It won't make them favorites to win the title or be the best of the East, but it keeps them viable.  And that is a significant achievement.

Being favorites to win the title is highly overrated.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »

Offline jbourdon

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1

Fair enough.

Being favorites to win the title is highly overrated.

Yea, just ask Lebron. I'm sure he's loving the fact that he failed to meet expectations for the past four years

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
We got something better than a guaranteed championship.

We got loyalty from our owners and GMs

We got PP and assured his retiring as a celtics and paid him well.

We got Ray Allen back(would have been ashamed if we didnt)

We got nate back, rondo got an extension, daniels got another shot..

The organization proved that they are a class group by resigning the people they did, and given how far over the cap they were i'd say they have done amazing things this off-season. I mean really, add JO Shaq and Wafer to our bench last year and we sweep the lakers...

Winning isnt everything as Celtics we have a reputation to uphold, and the organization did just that. We still have a legitimate chance at contending for the next 2 years and after that we're gonna have craploads of cap room with PP and Rondo still signed.

This team has nowhere to go but up and we still have our dignity.

God forbid we dont win every year...

That's your reality check...there's 30 teams be REAListic
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

What's the reality check?  That we've upgraded the talent on this team significantly by replacing Tony and Rasheed with J.O., Shaq, and Wafer?  Our defense should be slightly worse, but our offense will be significantly better.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Oh fun. We're already told that being optimistic deserves a reality check. Just like during the regular season.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Oh fun. We're already told that being optimistic deserves a reality check. Just like during the regular season.

Except it was hard to find a reason to be optimistic at points during the regular season. Where at this point we're coming off a close loss in game 7 of the NBA finals and we've improved our team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What's the reality check?  That we've upgraded the talent on this team significantly by replacing Tony and Rasheed with J.O., Shaq, and Wafer?  Our defense should be slightly worse, but our offense will be significantly better.

This all holds true if Perk comes back (I think he will).

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Seriously. the reality of the 2010 off season is looking very good. I love the fact that I once again will have the opportunity to cheer for a contender.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Honestly, I haven't seen too much negativity on here as of late.  I get the sense that most people are relatively optimistic of the upcoming season.

Things were much worse during this past regular season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
I do not know how much we "upgraded".  But we have no reason to think we can't contend again - our frontcourt depth is better ... and Danny did it while sticking to a legitimate strategy.

This was the best route available.  The franchise's obligation to its fans is to be viable and to always be moving forward.  This strategy allows that to be the case - we can contend in the short term, and have a real chance to contend in the long run.  More short sighted strategies would have sacrificed the latter goal, which is important.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Oh la oh ra ra...oh la, oh ra ra...shaq-ah, oh la la...watchout for rom-ance.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner