Author Topic: Sign Shaq, Then Trade Him For Caron Butler  (Read 4334 times)

Re: Sign Shaq, Then Trade Him For Caron Butler
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This makes sense for Dallas because they get Shaq for the minimum, and space/a trading chip with Sheed's retirement, and they're allegedly moving Caron anyway.

It makes sense for Boston because they get a player they wouldn't have been able to get in free agency otherwiser

Except that no veteran player would ever sign with boston again for fear of them lying to their face about wanting them and then trading them once they took a discount to sign here.

But you know, other than that, seems solid  ::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
After hearing the rumors about Shaq being close to signing with the C's for the vet. min., I read a report on RealGM

(http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68503/20100803/mavericks_could_consider_trading_butler/)

saying that the Mavs would consider trading Butler for a quick-fix. Now, Dallas was one of Shaq's potential destinations just a day ago so I went on ESPN trade machine to see if the C's could do  a swap with Dallas and dip a little more into the luxury tax to win now... and a trade is possible.

The Celtics trade Shaq, Sheed's contract and post-summer league signee Tony Gaffney

The Celtics receive Caron Butler

A thing to know when looking at this trade:

- It shows trading Avery Bradley being traded to Dallas, but he works as Shaq because he is making $1.4 million, the same as the vet. min.

Here is the link: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=26bchvr

I personally love this idea. While I see the advantages of signing The Big Shamrock, I think he also creates a log jam up front when Perk is back (and even moreso if Sheed does play). And Caron is more than we could have hoped for to come off the bench on the wing.

What does everyone think?

The problem is, what if Perk isn't at full strength come the playoffs, then we are screwed up front. Our advantage against Miami isn't as strong. Our defense against Howard is minimalized. We are weaker up front against LA. He is insurance.

Give me five quality bigs any day of the week. Allows for so many possibilities, from favorable matchups to fouling without worrying about having to use someone like Sheldon Williams in a deciding Finals game.

DA get a SF who can defend and knock down open shots and we are the favorites IMO.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This literally makes no sense whatsoever... They could already have him for the vet min without having to trade away a key asset to their starting lineup. Why would we sign Shaq, who wants to come to BOSTON not DALLAS, then screw him over and trade him?

Plus with Haywood and Chandler at the center position why would they want Shaq anyway?

I am literally boggled by this post... It is actually upsetting to me that and idea this bad could ever come up.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This makes sense for Dallas because they get Shaq for the minimum, and space/a trading chip with Sheed's retirement, and they're allegedly moving Caron anyway.

It makes sense for Boston because they get a player they wouldn't have been able to get in free agency otherwiser

Except that no veteran player would ever sign with boston again for fear of them lying to their face about wanting them and then trading them once they took a discount to sign here.

But you know, other than that, seems solid  ::)
I am always surprised by those kinds of suggestions. Unless a player has attitude issues, it is tough to stab them in the back like that.

If the player is causing problems in the locker room, then by all means, move him. Or if the team is clearly a failure, in which case the player probably won't mind if traded to a more legitimate contender.