Author Topic: Sign Shaq, Then Trade Him For Caron Butler  (Read 4337 times)

Sign Shaq, Then Trade Him For Caron Butler
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »

Offline ahartz15

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
After hearing the rumors about Shaq being close to signing with the C's for the vet. min., I read a report on RealGM

(http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68503/20100803/mavericks_could_consider_trading_butler/)

saying that the Mavs would consider trading Butler for a quick-fix. Now, Dallas was one of Shaq's potential destinations just a day ago so I went on ESPN trade machine to see if the C's could do  a swap with Dallas and dip a little more into the luxury tax to win now... and a trade is possible.

The Celtics trade Shaq, Sheed's contract and post-summer league signee Tony Gaffney

The Celtics receive Caron Butler

A thing to know when looking at this trade:

- It shows trading Avery Bradley being traded to Dallas, but he works as Shaq because he is making $1.4 million, the same as the vet. min.

Here is the link: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=26bchvr

I personally love this idea. While I see the advantages of signing The Big Shamrock, I think he also creates a log jam up front when Perk is back (and even moreso if Sheed does play). And Caron is more than we could have hoped for to come off the bench on the wing.

What does everyone think?

Re: Sign Shaq, Then Trade Him For Caron Butler
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The Celtics aren't going to trade Shaq for Butler.  If Shaq wanted to go to Dallas, he just would. 

And if this is going to turn into a "tricked ya" thing, the Celtics would forever jeopardize their ability to sign free agents. 

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I the Mavs wanted him, he could have signed there for the min.

No, I rather they just sign Shaq and use Wallace's contract separately.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
that would really help danny's cause with future free agents...  ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:43:53 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
You've lost me. Makes zero sense for the Celtics & Mavericks. ShaQ signs here because he wants to play here.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
is that you Chris Wallace? ???

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
This is a joke just to stir people up, right?

Because if this is serious, it makes absolutely zero sense.

If the Mavs wanted Shaq, he could just sign there for the minimum.  Why on earth would they take on more salary in Rasheed to get rid of one of their best players in Caron Butler, for a player whom they could simply sign for a minimum contract if they wanted him?

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »

Offline ahartz15

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
This makes sense for Dallas because they get Shaq for the minimum, and space/a trading chip with Sheed's retirement, and they're allegedly moving Caron anyway.

It makes sense for Boston because they get a player they wouldn't have been able to get in free agency otherwiser

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
ahartz15, I nominate you for GM when Danny retires.  You have no conscience to stand in the way of obtaining Championship #20.   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q79

79. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

Under no circumstances can a team sign and then trade another team's free agent. But there is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule.....

See question number 83 for more information on how long a team must wait after signing a contract before they can trade a player.

83. When can a team trade a free agent it signs? Do they have to keep him forever?

Generally, a player cannot be traded until three months after signing a contract or December 15th of that season, whichever is later. This does not apply to draft picks, who can be traded 30 days after signing their contract. In addition, if the player is playing under a one-year contract and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the contract, he can't be traded without his consent. If consent is granted and the player is traded, then he loses his Larry Bird or Early Bird rights, and enters free agency as a Non-Bird free agent. For example, Seattle signed Vladimir Radmanovic to a one-year qualifying offer on September 21, 2005. Therefore, Radmanovic could not be traded at all until December 21, 2005. After December 21, 2005, he could only be traded if he consented to the trade (he did consent and was traded to the Clippers). He became a Non-Bird free agent with the Clippers in the summer of 2006 (and signed instead with the Lakers).

For sign-and-trade transactions, the initial trade which completes the transaction is obviously allowed, even though it occurs right after the player is signed. What's not clear is whether the player's new team can subsequently trade him prior to three months or December 15. While a literal reading of the CBA might suggest that such players cannot be subsequently traded, the league actually considers this situation to be undefined, and won't resolve the matter until a team actually tries to make such a trade.

Can't sign-and-trade Shaq, as he's not our free agent.  Would have to wait until December.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This makes sense for Dallas because they get Shaq for the minimum, and space/a trading chip with Sheed's retirement, and they're allegedly moving Caron anyway.

It makes sense for Boston because they get a player they wouldn't have been able to get in free agency otherwiser

But Dallas can get him for the minimum now, which means he can go there now.  So you're suggesting we "trick" Shaq.  

Now first of all, I don't believe we can trade him after we sign him.  But even if we can, what would that tell future free agents?

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
is that you Chris Wallace? ???

LOL

For as much of an idiot as Chris Wallace usually is, he at least knows how the CBA works.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »

Offline amill34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
i havent posted on this site in a long time, so went through a lot of trouble, just to get signed in here to tell you how insane this post is. just remember when you go to bed at night, that it's people like you that make others feel better about themselves.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Could not trade him till December eitherway!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15