Author Topic: Could Bradley Be Like Joe Dumars?  (Read 10077 times)

Could Bradley Be Like Joe Dumars?
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I am very excited about Bradley coming to the Celtics. I believe he may be our next shooting guard in the future seeing how poing guard is a lock for now. He stands 6'3 and already is known for his defensive presence which can only get better. He knows how to shoot for the most part as well. A similar person at his height was picked in the 1985 draft one pick up.

His name was Joe Dumas.

Joe was one of the best defenders Jordan said he’s ever faces. He could defend the both guard positions and did it with vigor. Joe Dumars played shooting guard untile Isaiah retired. He was shorter but was able to overcome it. He once averaged over 27 points in the 1989 Finals. He and Isaiah Thomas formed one of the best back court duo’s in NBA history and won 2 titles and gained separate Finals MVP for both.

I know it’s a little too early to compare him to Bradley, but if he learns from the Big Three while their still here and jells with Rondo we could have something similar.

Having a defensive back court can mess up the flow of an offensive and create turnovers. Both Rondo and Bradley are a little undersized in this day’s game but make up for it with athleticism, speed, length and defense. I’m starting to like this pick more and more. Each day the future is looking brighter for this team. Give me your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUoWOvP_nxg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:26:50 PM by JoeRowe23 »

Re: Is Bradley Joe Dumars 2.0?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nice Post, JR. Man, if AB can have half the career of Joe Dumars, he would've been a steal for us!

I think he will.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I am very excited about Bradley coming to the Celtics. I believe he may be our next shooting guard in the future seeing how poing guard is a lock for now. He stands 6'3 and already is known for his defensive presence which can only get better. He knows how to shoot for the most part as well. A similar person at his height was picked in the 1985 draft one pick up.

His name was Joe Dumas.

Joe was one of the best defenders Jordan said he’s ever faces. He could defend the both guard positions and did it with vigor. Joe Dumars played shooting guard untile Isaiah retired. He was shorter but was able to overcome it. He once averaged over 27 points in the 1989 Finals. He and Isaiah Thomas formed one of the best back court duo’s in NBA history and won 2 titles and gained separate Finals MVP for both.

I know it’s a little too early to compare him to Bradley, but if he learns from the Big Three while their still here and jells with Rondo we could have something similar.

Having a defensive back court can mess up the flow of an offensive and create turnovers. Both Rondo and Bradley are a little undersized in this day’s game but make up for it with athleticism, speed, length and defense. I’m starting to like this pick more and more. Each day the future is looking brighter for this team. Give me your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUoWOvP_nxg

I made the original comparison of Bradley to Dumars a little while ago in a thread where someone was wondering if he was like Westbrook or Ellis (I think it was Ellis).  I threw out the notion that if the C's are lucky, he could turn out to be more like Dumars.  Attached the original comments below

ideal upside (extreme optimism): a shorter, faster Joe Dumars.  solid D, solid jumper, good character guy and smart player.   

Worst case: Gabe Pruitt.  a player that rarely gets off the bench, shows a little promise here and there and then ends up out of the league in 3 years.

Probable case: He'll be unique.  He'll be fast like Rondo, play solid D like Rondo, shoot better than Rondo but pass/ballhandle worse than Rondo.  hopefully end up shooting FTs better than Rondo.

If he shows as much promise as hyped, I could see him either being the first guard off the bench in the post-big-3 era or Ray's replacement while Danny tries to get a bigger starting SG. 

I anticipate little to no playing time this year.  If he sees the court outside of garbage time it'll either be because he's outplaying even the most hyped expectations and Doc can't justify sitting him (which would be fantastic) OR Danny has botched the bench rebuild and he has to play due to backcourt injuries to Rondo/Ray/Nate and we witness the usual rookie growing pains (which would suck).

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
TP to Slamtehking. I agree. I really feel he can be the next Dumars. Kid has a great work ethictic and loved to play some D!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Way too early to call him the next anything at this point, good or bad.  However, I'm happy that he's coming into the league with a defensive reputation.  Too many young player can put the ball in the basket, but give up more than they put in. 

Playing with as much talent that is on this team, if he can play defense, he should be able to at least be adequate offensively. 

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think it is unfair to compare any guard to Dumars. He is one of my all-time favorite players. He got stuck guarding the best guard every night and still was big time scorer and big time shooter. He could play both team offense and create his own shot. He could play one on one defense and also team defense. In short he was one of the all-time greats and yet never got the credit he deserved. In my humble opinion he was a much better all around player than his more publicized teammate (and a much better teammate by the way). If Bradley is anywhere close to that level, you can start ordering banners. However he will never shoot to Dumar's level nor have his overall skill.   It would be nice if he can play good defense and not be too bad on offense. I would settle for that.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:23:56 PM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
I think it is unfair to compare any guard to Dumars. He is one of my all-time favorite players. He got stuck guarding the best guard every night and still was big time scorer and big time shooter. He could play both team offense and create his own shot. He could play one on one defense and also team defense. In short he was one of the all-time greats and yet never got the credit he deserved. In my humble opinion he was a much better all around player than his more publicized teammate (and a much better teammate by the way). If Bradley is anywhere close to that level, you can start ordering banners. However he will never shoot to Dumar's level nor have his overall skill.   It would be nice if he can play good defense and not be too bad on offense. I would settle for that.

I love Joe too man. He's one of the all time greats. I'm not saying Bradley is Joe Dumars or that he will be better. I'm saying if he puts effort into his work and carries himself as that great man did on and off the court, his body of work could resemble his. I’m just trying to get a feel for what this kid might be in the future. With that comes comparisons and examples. Trust me, I do not mean any disrespect to Joe Dumars

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Anybody got a YouTube videomix of this kid? I have never seen him play.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Could Bradley Be Like Joe Dumars?
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
He could be. Then again he could be like Gabe Pruitt. Let's hope for closer to Dumars.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Anybody got a YouTube videomix of this kid? I have never seen him play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJVTePSMYw&feature=related

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Joe Dumars? Why not Ben Wade? Let our imaginations run the whole gamma of possibilities, why not?
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:50:17 AM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
Joe Dumars? Why not Ben Wade? Let our imaginations run the whole gamma of possibilities, why not?
Hey, he does have a chance to something be like Joe Dumars on defense. This is just a little guess on my part. But Ben Wade? Really now, a cowboy?

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 12:52:32 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
as long as he's better than JR Giddens, I'll be happy
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 12:57:58 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
looks like someone switched the koolaid with green vodka...

pound away gentlemen.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I am intrigued by him. I am not terribly worried about his size as a SG, because his apparent athleticism and long arms should make up for that.

All the tools are there (from what I've heard); great defense, strong handle, sweet stroke, capable penetrater.

Really, all he has to due is get stronger (to not get bullied in the post, he will keep players in front of him) and gain experience.
CELTICS 2024