Author Topic: Still drawing! Coloring stage! [12]  (Read 19107 times)

Still drawing! Coloring stage! [12]
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »

Kiorrik

SKIP TO THE BOLD BIT IF YOU DON'T LIKE ENDLESS NONSENSE

Right. Shameless self-promotion. And attention seeking. One might call me a harlot for attention. I reckon you can find the more contemporary term for one such as me, but hey, that's not the language we're looking for here at Celtics Blog.

But I digress.

My main reason for this topic, is because I want to give myself some extra reason to finish what I am working on right now. You see, I'm making a game. A computer game. I'm writing the game design document right now. This holds all the documentation I'll ever need regarding the game; storyline, game mechanics, character information, et cetera.

But I digress.

Besides the written documentation, I'm doing my own concept art. I'm not much of an artist of the pencil just yet, so I have to develop myself. I do this, by drawing - experience is the best teacher. Now to get to the point; I tend to not finish what I start. And I kinda need you guys to help me out here and tell me what you think of my drawings, and the way I'm evolving them.

So here it is, my first sketch regarding the video game I'm making. I'll post some updates I did in a few minutes, but I wanted the sketch to be in the first post.

Do comment if you like/dislike bits!

Click this link for the full view!

This is supposed to be a lich, or a liche. It's a monster, a bit like Voldemort from Harry Potter; it's undead, has died, but remains alive because of the use of a phylactery, an item in which it stored its soul.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:34:51 AM by Kiorrik »

Re: Look at me! I am drawing! [update no: 1]
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »

Kiorrik

Okay, update no.1:

Click here for the full view...

First thing I did was re-size the head. It was absolutely silly before. Looked more like a doll than anything else, and I decided before I'd do anything else, this was the way to go.

So, after resizing the head, I though it time to go and draw the head again. It needed more than just a little picking up.

At this point, I was still thinking I would be using most of the original lining, something I'd done for this sketch:

Little did I know... :p

Ps.: No. That last picture is not what that second one turned in to :p
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:10:16 AM by Kiorrik »

Re: Look at me! I am drawing! [update no: 2]
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »

Kiorrik

And one more post for today, for this is as far as I've got for you guys right now:

Zoomed in a bit for this part!

Okay. As you might have noticed, I flipped the picture horizontally. This is something I do to keep the total picture honest; it enables me to see flaws a bit easier, since it's like "a new view". Spending a lot of time on a drawing, makes you blind to certain errors. It's a weird thing :p

Anyways, expect a lot of "flippin'".

Main thing I did here, was pick up more details in the face/head, and add some details to the shoulder pads. The flying "dots" are the spots where I use my color-picker to select the correct colors when I've messed up my colors again. It happens a lot :p

The chest was picked up next, and this is where I started noticing that, maybe, it was a good idea to pick up the entire picture, doing a lot more work than I expected, using hardly any of the original lining.

Obviously the (now) left arm has changed a bit here. I had to screw around with the length of the arm, which was obviously not entirely as I wanted it. This means that I will probably have to either move or replace the staff. Ugh. This is where I realized that this might be a project that would cover more than a day :p

Okay, the other arm got a major overhaul as well. As you can see, some of the jewelry disappeared, but I can ensure you that it will return in a later version, as I plan on putting those back in. They're important, story-wise. They might change a bit though, because I don't like using symbols of existing religions too much.

Alright, that's it for today. Hope you guys don't mind giving me some feedback every now and then.

More tomorrow! :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:10:56 AM by Kiorrik »

Re: Look at me! I am drawing!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »

Offline bballinlilbetty

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
pretty good drawings. The liche is pretty good, it instantly reminded me of the game Hero's of Might and Magic, along with your other character there. Take a look at some of the characters there from Hero's of Might and Magic, particularly the 2nd, 3rd, version of the game...might be able to give you some ideas

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Your drawings quite good.

But i would have your lich in a robe or some kind of garment instead both for the sake of a better looking concept art with more details but you would also be saving your self some time getting him into your game as you dont have to work trying to get his anatomy to look right.

For reference he's a drawing made by a friend for a game called Heroesofnewerth

"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »

Kiorrik

pretty good drawings. The liche is pretty good, it instantly reminded me of the game Hero's of Might and Magic, along with your other character there. Take a look at some of the characters there from Hero's of Might and Magic, particularly the 2nd, 3rd, version of the game...might be able to give you some ideas
Hahaha, typical; I've reinstalled that game a couple of weeks ago :) All of them, actually.

I'm heavily influenced by games from that era. The Might & Magic series, Settlers, Diablo, Command & Conquer, they all started around that time.

Also, a lot of Final Fantasy, Snes games like MegaMan, Zelda, Secret of Mana, etc.

I'm your regular computer nerd ;)

@Dybdal, I'm not there yet ;) I know that that's how I'm supposed to draw, but I've got a long, long way to go, and a lot of experience to attain before I can draw like that :D haha

But yeh, that's exactly the style I want to draw in. Check this out, it's a really old sketch, from like years and years ago, that reminded me (in a way) of that sketch you posted.

If the image isn't working, this link will.

Anyway, yes, that's where I draw my inspiration from. What's the guys name, and has he got a DeviantArt website?

Thanks for the replies guys!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

Also, a lot of Final Fantasy, Snes games like MegaMan, Zelda, Secret of Mana, etc.

Secret of Mana *drools*
I'm a huge FF and Zelda fan but [dang], did I love SoM as a kid. I should see if I still have it somewhere.
TP for the memories xD..

p.s. I really like your artwork too. reminds me of a lot of Blizzard art circa 2000 which I now see you made a point of already. sorry
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:37:31 PM »

Kiorrik

Secret of Mana *drools*
I'm a huge FF and Zelda fan but [dang], did I love SoM as a kid. I should see if I still have it somewhere.
TP for the memories xD..

p.s. I really like your artwork too. reminds me of a lot of Blizzard art circa 2000 which I now see you made a point of already. sorry
That's quite alright :) I consider that a compliment.

Yes, SoM was brilliant. Bought it a few years ago, since I never actually owned the Snes cartridge for it. You should try playing Chrono trigger on an Emulator (Zsnes is pretty capable) since that's widely regarded as one of the best Zelda/SoM-like RPG's.

The best part of SoM though, was that it was basically Zelda, A Link to the Past, but with:
- More weapons
- More upgrades
- More armor types
- More spells
- A better storyline
- Better graphics
- 3 players

(but less puzzles, and less polished gameplay)

Btw, the genres of games I played are so widely varied... I used to be good at Unreal Tournament, played lots of Warcraft I, II, III and "World of", Mystic Quest, Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, NBA Live, anything.

I owned all the Nintendo systems at some point (up till the Wii) and a Playstation, We have a Playstation II now too (and regularly borrowed a Playstation III) and started out with Atari's, a Commodore 64, and a 286 back in the day ;)

[/geek]

Re: Look at me! I am drawing! [update no: 4]
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »

Kiorrik

Alrighty, post number three. Later on today we'll have number four and maybe number five if I get that far.

Ladies and gents, we have another horizontal flip on our hands.

Apart from that, the entire cowl has been redrawn. I didn't like it (and still don't :p) but it's better now. This is something I'll leave to revisit after doing some other things first.

Replacement of the body; I thought the angle was good, but the position of the upper body was too close to the lower body. I "cut him up" and pasted him up there. It probably looks minor, but it's quite a distance.

Added a midsection ((lumbar?) vertebrae) and started doing some of the "skirt". I don't know exactly what material I'll do it in, and I might be adding some layers to it later on. I ended up with something looking a bit leathery.

Redrew the sash, made it a "magic" one, flying around the hip of the undead creature. The main thought about this, is that it's been "held together" by use of magic, which would also justify some of the flying armor / jewelry. Consider them like the belt of a planet ;)

Right. More laterrr!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:11:31 AM by Kiorrik »

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

Secret of Mana *drools*
TP for the memories xD..

That's quite alright :) I consider that a compliment.

Yes, SoM was brilliant. Bought it a few years ago, since I never actually owned the Snes cartridge for it. You should try playing Chrono trigger on an Emulator (Zsnes is pretty capable) since that's widely regarded as one of the best Zelda/SoM-like RPG's.

The best part of SoM though, was that it was basically Zelda, A Link to the Past, but with:
- More weapons
- More upgrades
- More armor types
- More spells
- A better storyline
- Better graphics
- 3 players

(but less puzzles, and less polished gameplay)

Btw, the genres of games I played are so widely varied... I used to be good at Unreal Tournament, played lots of Warcraft I, II, III and "World of", Mystic Quest, Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, NBA Live, anything.

I owned all the Nintendo systems at some point (up till the Wii) and a Playstation, We have a Playstation II now too (and regularly borrowed a Playstation III) and started out with Atari's, a Commodore 64, and a 286 back in the day ;)

[/geek]

I played the ported Chrono Trigger to the DS. Quite excellent.
yeah, I have a rather eclectic gamer as well.

Top five games that I love (not necessarily the best)
A Link To The Past/Ocarina of Time. (The two peeks of of the Zelda franchise imo)
FFX
Warcraft III
Counter-Strike:Source
Any Tony Hawk or Coolboarders game on the PSone.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
Very cool. Body adjustments look good. When I saw this I also immediately thought of Warcraft. Can't beat the Blizzard classics.

(sidenote, Quinn -- Ocarina on 64 is definitely my top game of all time.)

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »

Kiorrik

I hate Counterstrike :D Got banned on a couple of Dutch servers on day 1. After playing UT for years, and then going to Counterstrike, I didn't know the maps, nor the tactics, but aimed fairly well. So I ended up heady-ing an admin three times in a row whilst wielding Deagles. The third time was on Aztec, as CT, where I ran across the rope bridge, into the corridor, spotting the place, and after a second I realized I saw someone behind the box. I turned around and shot him in the head :')

I thought it was hilarious, he thought I had an aim bot. From then on, I've been playing it a fair bit, but never again on the servers where my friends were, so I quit after a while ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »

Kiorrik

Very cool. Body adjustments look good. When I saw this I also immediately thought of Warcraft. Can't beat the Blizzard classics.

(sidenote, Quinn -- Ocarina on 64 is definitely my top game of all time.)
Ocarina feels like a remake of A Link to the Past. It's great though, flippin' love the game and beat it a couple of times. Still prefer the Snes one though.

Thanks for the compliments.

I've had a thing for Liches since I played Warhammer, the table top game where you collect, assemble and paint miniatures like these:

Warhammer and Dungeons and Dragons influence my drawings a lot too. As does Tolkien, Pratchett, Black Library and a lot of other Fantasy sources ;)

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Kiorrik making a game?

I demand to alpha and beta test. ;)

Re: Look at me! I am drawing! [update no: 5]
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »

Kiorrik

Alreet! 'ere We goo! Part deux for today!

First pic is how it was after that last post.

Not that special, here I picked out the pants. Well... the skirt. Just the outlines and a bit of the top inner lines. You can see this like an artist would chop up the rough edges of a statue, I guess :)

Lowered the arm, since I wasn't satisfied with the hand/arm combo. I tell ya, I always thought arms were the easiest thing, but they're not. Especially not when you try to draw them as bones. You'd think it'd be easier, but it's not :)

This is where I went mad, and this is just an example of the lots of time I spent on the hand. I sincerely do not rule at drawing hands. (Understatement of the year award plix!) ... that said, I *WILL* improve this. I'll get back to this hand about 20 more times during the drawing of this picture, but you'll probably hardly notice :)

This is the arm & hand combo I went for in the end.

This doesn't seem like much progress, but due to a slow computer and some rotten luck with saving, this has taken me hours :p

Also, I've discovered some new drawing techniques and I went to experiment a bit with brushes in Photoshop, which was a good learning experience.

More soon, 'cuz I've got some more major updates to show ya.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:12:06 AM by Kiorrik »