Author Topic: Josh Howard to Re-sign with Wizards - 1 Year / $4 Million  (Read 6874 times)

Re: Josh Howard to Re-sign with Wizards - 1 Year / $4 Million
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Howard is going off the market and Boston lands Rudy, what is there left to do with Sheed's contract?  Unless Ainge can trade it to a team under the cap for an exception or they're willing to pay Sheed to sit at home, he's got to deal that contract for somebody this offseason.  With a back up 1, 2, 3 and 4 on board, along with Avery and the Gody, who could the Celtics make a play for?

I don't want to again mention a certain 7'1'', 400 pound center with 4 championship rings...but what are the other worthwhile options?  Unless Przbylla is coming over with Rudy, is there any other move to make?

Mike

Maybe Sheed is going to come back. Worse things could happen. He is a great defender of the 4/5, and Perk's ability to be back at full strength even by playoff time is dubious at best.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would think that this means the Fernandez deal is awfully close to being done. I can't imagine them letting Howard take 4 mil with the Wiz w/o a backup plan.

This.  PLEASE.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 09:27:55 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I would think that this means the Fernandez deal is awfully close to being done. I can't imagine them letting Howard take 4 mil with the Wiz w/o a backup plan.

This.  PLEASE.

I really hope so because I really wanted Howard.  Get me Rudy and Przybilla for a trade with Sheeds contract and maybe a 1st and then sign D-West for the vet min!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

This.  PLEASE.

I really hope so because I really wanted Howard.  Get me Rudy and Przybilla for a trade with Sheeds contract and maybe a 1st and then sign D-West for the vet min!

That would be awseome -- but Przybilla makes like 7 mil this year, more than Sheed already so that's a little dubious.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Didn't Sheed's contract have a trade kicker?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 12:50:06 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I was not optimistic about Josh Howard's abilities post ACL. I'd be much happier with Rudy.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
could this possibly be a prelude to a S&T for JH for Sheed's deal where we also take someone the Wiz want to dump in addition to Howard?  I believe there's a delay in doing an S&T with a just-signed player if they're being traded with somebody but would that timeframe have elapsed before the season starts?

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
He wanted a one year deal and we couldn't really give him that for this type of money because you can't sign and trade for one year deals.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 09:04:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
could this possibly be a prelude to a S&T for JH for Sheed's deal where we also take someone the Wiz want to dump in addition to Howard?  I believe there's a delay in doing an S&T with a just-signed player if they're being traded with somebody but would that timeframe have elapsed before the season starts?

No, a sign and trade has to be immediate.  Once the contract is signed, if he is not traded right away, he cannot be traded until December 15th.  

My guess is the C's could not work out a reasonable sign and trade because they couldn't decide on option years.  I believe a player needs to be signed to a 3 year deal to be sign and traded, and Howard probably did not want to give the C's team options for those last two years, in case he completely recovers, and is worth more, and the C's didn't want to give him player options for those years, in case he does not recover fully from the ACL tear.  

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:31 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
could this possibly be a prelude to a S&T for JH for Sheed's deal where we also take someone the Wiz want to dump in addition to Howard?  I believe there's a delay in doing an S&T with a just-signed player if they're being traded with somebody but would that timeframe have elapsed before the season starts?

No, a sign and trade has to be immediate.  Once the contract is signed, if he is not traded right away, he cannot be traded until December 15th.

My guess is the C's could not work out a reasonable sign and trade because they couldn't decide on option years.  I believe a player needs to be signed to a 3 year deal to be sign and traded, and Howard probably did not want to give the C's team options for those last two years, in case he completely recovers, and is worth more, and the C's didn't want to give him player options for those years, in case he does not recover fully from the ACL tear.  

This is an excellent point -- the 3 year requirement in an S&T probably killed this for both sides.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)