Author Topic: Portland trade idea  (Read 5208 times)

Re: Portland trade idea
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Am I the only one who wants to holdout on trading Sheed's contract?  Sure if we can pick up Rudy Fernandez for a future first and Gaffney/Lafayette I'm all for it.

But I don't think this is the right move to give up Sheed's contract.  The longer we wait, some team's going to get desperate, and we could get a real steal.

And if not, come Februrary, talk Sheed into one more playoff run (he will be well rested and healthy), and then we have his expriring contract to trade in the offseason once again.

I can't imagine Celtic ownership is going to agree to pay Sheed salary and the luxury tax money along with it, so he can sit at home.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Am I the only one who wants to holdout on trading Sheed's contract?  Sure if we can pick up Rudy Fernandez for a future first and Gaffney/Lafayette I'm all for it.

But I don't think this is the right move to give up Sheed's contract.  The longer we wait, some team's going to get desperate, and we could get a real steal.

And if not, come Februrary, talk Sheed into one more playoff run (he will be well rested and healthy), and then we have his expriring contract to trade in the offseason once again.

I can't imagine Celtic ownership is going to agree to pay Sheed salary and the luxury tax money along with it, so he can sit at home.

Mike
Why not if it preserves the C's ability to trade for an impact role playerin mid-season. They C's payroll will still go down (or at worst stay the same) due to Pierce's new deal and the Rondo/Ray equalizing each other's salary change.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
i think both teams would do this:

Rudy Fernandez
Joel Pryzbilla
Jarred Bayless

for

Rasheed Wallace
Avery Bradley
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Why do fans continue to put Avery Bradley in foolish trade scenarios. The only way Bradley will be involved in a deal is if a significant piece is coming back. Danny loves Bradley and if he did not get hurt would have probably been a lottery selection. DA is following the mold he had prior to the KG and Ray trades. Obtain young talented players with upside and develop them. This will build up their trade value and then he can unload Bradley in a bigger deal that brings more value. It's a simple formula. I have less than zero interest dealing a guy before he plays one game in green.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

Mike
Why not if it preserves the C's ability to trade for an impact role playerin mid-season. They C's payroll will still go down (or at worst stay the same) due to Pierce's new deal and the Rondo/Ray equalizing each other's salary change.

Or just hold on to Sheed and have him be the mid-season aquisition. I don't think they'd have a problem paying him for that either.  Especially considering they would still have his contract to trade next season. 

He is a very valuable asset at this point.  More so than Rudy Frenandez IMO
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
3 team trade

Boston receives Murphy, Fernandez
Portland receives Gaffney, Bos 1st (top 20 protected next year)
Indiana receives Sheed, Lafayette, Davis
That'd be pretty good deal for the C's. I don't think its realistic though.
I thought Indiana might need a first or someone else.  The idea is mostly that Indiana wants to cut salary and is looking to dump Murphy.  I don't really see the Celtics giving up much more then that for Fernandez, unless Sheed and Przybilla become involved in that trae.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
i think both teams would do this:

Rudy Fernandez
Joel Pryzbilla
Jarred Bayless

for

Rasheed Wallace
Avery Bradley
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette
Your nuts
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Because Sheed + luxury tax = about 13 million dollars.  That's a heck of a lot of money to pay out just to maintain the possiblity of a trade that might never happen.  And that's in addition to the shooter and extra big Ainge has said he wants to pick up before next season, which even at vet min deals for both will be over 2 million in salary and over 4 million with luxury tax added in.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
We're paying Nate 4.5 million a year to back up Rondo.  I don't think we need Andre Miller. 

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Mike

Because Sheed + luxury tax = about 13 million dollars.  That's a heck of a lot of money to pay out just to maintain the possiblity of a trade that might never happen.  And that's in addition to the shooter and extra big Ainge has said he wants to pick up before next season, which even at vet min deals for both will be over 2 million in salary and over 4 million with luxury tax added in.

Mike

i don't have the link but i know i've read somewhere that DA wants to get a trade exception from the league for Rasheed. that would solve the whole $13m expense for the Celtics while still "holding on" to his contract as a trading chip.

- LilRip
- LilRip