Author Topic: A trade Idea nobody will like  (Read 4815 times)

A trade Idea nobody will like
« on: July 24, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=23bdk6r

Boston gets:

Arenas (Was) and Gallinari (NYK), plus Wash 1st 2013 and NYK 1st in 2012
(not sure exactly what picks haven't already been traded but something like that)
[contingent on Arenas gauranteeing he will not pick up his option after 2012 so it is a 2 year deal]

for:

Rondo, Perk, Lafayette, Gaffney

with Eddy Curry, Perk, and Gaffney to Washington

and Rondo, Wallace and Lafayette going to the Knicks

I am sure some stopped reading at "Boston gets Arenas" and most others stopped at "for Rondo" but this is a win now trade intended to stir up conversation.  We get another very good young player in Gallinari plus a PG who gives us the kind of punch we are going to need to compete in the new east (for 2 years only assuming an agreed to opt out in 2012).

I know people love Rondo (I do too) but this makes us better now in my opinion, gets a back a very good young player (Gallinari) for our bench now and for the future rebuilding phase plus we get picks from teams that probably still won't be that good in a couple of years.

Part of my reasoning (or perhaps hopefullness) is that Arenas has been "scared straight" and we will get the "good Gilbert" for these two years.  He may balk at the opt out idea (or that may not even be legal) but he gets two years with two legit chances at titles.

The real pain for the Celtics is obviously giving up Rondo but we get Gallinari and a couple of pretty good picks to try recover that value plus who knows, maybe in a couple of years, Bradley will be ready and good.

Re: A trade Idea nobody will like
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess the problem that most people will have with this is that Washington would kill to get rid of Arenas- for nothing if they could and you have us giving away one of the most exciting young players in the league- and an all-star, at that. It just doesn't make any sense.

I do appreciate you knowing that it is controvertial, though. While I am not as anti-Arenas as others may be, I sure as heck am not giving up Rondo for him.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I guess the problem that most people will have with this is that Washington would kill to get rid of Arenas- for nothing if they could and you have us giving away one of the most exciting young players in the league- and an all-star, at that. It just doesn't make any sense.

I do appreciate you knowing that it is controvertial, though. While I am not as anti-Arenas as others may be, I sure as heck am not giving up Rondo for him.

I'm not as anti-not-trading-Rondo as others, but I am more anti-Arenas than others.

Thanks, but no thanks.

The only player I would want back for Rondo is probably CP3.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I have no problem picking up Arenas because of his head, it would be his body that worries me, if Arenas is healthy I'd deal with the rest as it comes. But getting rid of Rondo would have to yeild much more in return than this in my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
We would be getting Gallinari and 2 future first round picks for Rondo.  Getting Arenas is just a throw-in.

Washington takes on Curry and gives up a first to get rid of Arenas.  They get Perk but he may not play at all next year and then be a free agent with a high potential to get over-paid by someone.  So this isn't a "Rondo for Arenas" trade at all.

I don't expect many are going to like this (including Danny Ainge) but I hoped this would stir up some discussion.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I have no problem picking up Arenas because of his head, it would be his body that worries me, if Arenas is healthy I'd deal with the rest as it comes. But getting rid of Rondo would have to yeild much more in return than this in my opinion.

+1

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The Rondo part of the deal is with the Knicks so getting Gallinari plus first round picks isn't bad for Rondo in my opinion.  I know that some believe Rondo is better than Chris Paul but I don't see him as nearly that high.  I see a talented point gaurd who can't shoot.  Assuming we can make the Arenas part of this work (essentially we get Arenas plus a first for salary), it seems like we ought to be able to figure out something with the knicks young players that can make the Rondo-Sheed for Curry-??? part work out.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
This seems like a rebuilding trade, if we're going to rebuild why trade Rondo?  Wouldn't you be better off trading KG?
do it

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I would seriously think about doing it if it worked honestly. But only assuming Arenas knee checked out at atleast 95-100%. We would solve the small forward backup spot, and we could potentially get a number overall pick out of the deal with Washington's pick. We would almost certainly have to attain Shaq though in the process to fill the Perk void.

I think we are highly over evaluating Rondo and I say sell high if the opportunity presents itself, what's better than getting an all-star back, a future allstar in Gallinari and 2 potential lottery picks for a PG who cant shoot jumpers or FT's. I love Rondo but I would definitely think long and hard about dealing him.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Gallinari is alright, but is hardly in Rondo's ballpark. The two firsts are nice, but NY looks to finally be on the mend, so I am not sure the pick would be all that great. And would Was give us their pick unprotected while they are in a rebuilding mode? I dunno, I guess I am higher on Rondo than others- like I think he is just a shade under CP3.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:47 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
The only two PG's in the NBA I would trade Rondo for: CP3 and D. Williams. End of conversation.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think Paul and Ray might ask out of their deals if Danny made this trade.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Ainge just vomited.  ::)

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Where is the PG?  All I see is an over-payed SG that played terrible last year before being suspended.  A guy that has not played a full season in 3 years.

Terrible trade.  Removing an young, all-star level PG able to be great without scoring a lot of points for an often injured SG that pretends to be a PG and dominates the ball.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Why include Rondo?  As someone said Wiz would pay to have Arenas taken.  Let them give us Arenas and McGee for Perk, Sheed, Lafayette, Gaffney, and Davis.  Let NY give the Wiz Curry who I'm sure they would love to dump.  Wiz are tanking anyway, let them give NY their worst 1st (or even 2nd).  Cap flexibility would be blown all to h but we might get as much out of McGee this year as the five outgoing players.