Author Topic: Hornets Want Okafor Included In Any Paul Deal ( does this help Bostons chances?)  (Read 8069 times)

Offline lilfotoman

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
why does every want to trade rondo? hes the future of this team. once he gets a jump shot down, he will be one of the best pg in the league hands down. and there's no way DA will trade rondo.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I'd never include Perkins in that deal, he is way, way, way underappreciated. Tough to find guys who willingly do what he does.

I would, hwoever, trade Rasheed, Baby, Lafayette and Gaffney for Okafor.

I like the Perkins, Okafor, KG defense and rebounding.

This is something I can agree to. Sheed, Baby, Laf, and Gaf for Okafor works greatly for me.

You forgot to include JOneal in the Perk, Okafor, KG, defense and rebounding. That is an incredible four man big man rotation that can bump with the lengthy Lakers anyday.

The Perkins we knew may not be again. I'd trade Sheed, Perk, Gaffney and Lafayette for Okafor and Julian Wright and picks from NO to take Okafor's contract off their hands without having to give up Paul. http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5641252.

We get a healthy (relatively speaking) tandem of JO/Okafor starting the season at the 5 and an excellent backup wing for now and a starter in the future in Wright plus picks.

Tough to swallow those 4 years with Okafor, but the lockout is coming and we're in win now mode.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:46:58 AM by csfansince60s »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
If my memory serves me correctly, ainge attempted to trade Paul pierce to NO in 2005 so the celtics could draft Chris Paul.

NO said no. NO turned down a deal for a true star who was in his prime and had justt averaged 23 points 6.5 rebs and 5 assists a game.

Both the celtics and NO believed this undrafted player was more valuable to a team than Paul pierce.  They were right.

What does Boston have to trade now that (1) rivals or beats the 2005 offer; and (2) doesn't strip the bench so badly that the team can not win in the playoffs? Nothing that I can see.

Rondo is outstanding, but Paul is simply better. A better pg, a better scorer, a better player. He is the best pg in the NBA right now.

But, is the difference between them worth the price the celtics would have to pay to get Paul?  If the team were younger, maybe yes. 

But with a championship window of only 2 years kept, I think the celtics should keep cobbling together aging vets for the final run.

In brief, Paul ain't coming to Boston.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
False!
Boston tried to trade Pierce to Portland for 3.pick, Van Exel and spare parts. Not to NO. Then Portland trades 3. pick to Utah, Jazz select Deron Williams and NOH select Paul with 4th pick.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Paul wants to go to the Magic, but I think they need a third team to take Okafor.  Maybe Okafor to the Knicks for Curry at the same time the Magic trade Pietrus, Gortat, Nelson, Anderson, and some firsts to the Hornets for Paul and Posey
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline bowlingwarnie

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I cannot believe what I keep reading
Yes Mr Rondo is potentially awesome
Chris Paul IS awesome NOW and until he retires.....

Okafor is much better than Perk, especially since the injury..
offensively and a wash defensively (maybe a better shot blocker) both great though
the chemistry issues swapping these guys is negligible, Emeka would be coming home to New England and Chris Paul wants to win, this team will win with these guys

this really shouldn't be an argument...
surely when you have a legitimate chance at acquiring a TOP 5 player without giving away everything.... you do it

I Love Rondo by the way, but really???

This is Chris Paul we are talking about
he is one year older than Rajon

sheesh
why Johnny Ringo...
You look like somebody just walked over your grave

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
the only way the Celtics can trade for Paul and Okafor is to trade Garnett.

They could, but it would include getting rid of Gaffney, Lafayette, and Bradley as well as Glenn Davis and Kendrick Perkins

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Boston never had a chance to land Chris Paul. He doesn't want to come here and Boston more than likely has no interest.

Besides with Okafor included it becomes almost impossible for Boston to do the trade due to the salaries involved.

Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor combined equals $26.435 million in salary. That means the least amount of salary that Boston could offer would be about $21.05 million in combined salaries.

That means if Boston packaged Rondo, Perkins, Wallace, LaFayette, Gaffney and Davis they would still be over a million dollars in salary short of reaching the minimum number needed to complete the trade because Rondo is in a Base Year Compensation situation and his outgoing salary only counts as half of the $9 million he will be making next year. With all those players already traded because of CBA rules about signing a player and then trading him we can not include Bradley, Erden, Pierce, Daniels, O'Neal or Allen in the trade. That leaves just KG available to trade and Boston isn't going there.

The only way it could work would be for Boston to trade Rondo, Davis, Perkins, Wallace, Gaffney, LaFayette and sign and trade Scalabrine(if he is willing to go to New Orleans). That would leave Boston with:

Paul/Robinson
Allen/Bradley
Pierce/Daniels
KG/Harangody
O'Neal/Okafor/Erden.

I don't care how good the starting five would be, the bench would be so atrocious as to make thinking of getting out of the second round of the playoffs near impossible.

Wow, our bench would be THAT bad without BBD? : X Cause out of our bench, assuming Sheed was going to retire in the first place (which is the reason we'd be able to trade him anyways), BBD's the only one leaving.

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Also, this assumes we don't get another wing...

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1033
If my memory serves me correctly, ainge attempted to trade Paul pierce to NO in 2005 so the celtics could draft Chris Paul.

NO said no. NO turned down a deal for a true star who was in his prime and had justt averaged 23 points 6.5 rebs and 5 assists a game.

Both the celtics and NO believed this undrafted player was more valuable to a team than Paul pierce.  They were right.

What does Boston have to trade now that (1) rivals or beats the 2005 offer; and (2) doesn't strip the bench so badly that the team can not win in the playoffs? Nothing that I can see.

Rondo is outstanding, but Paul is simply better. A better pg, a better scorer, a better player. He is the best pg in the NBA right now.

But, is the difference between them worth the price the celtics would have to pay to get Paul?  If the team were younger, maybe yes. 

But with a championship window of only 2 years kept, I think the celtics should keep cobbling together aging vets for the final run.

In brief, Paul ain't coming to Boston.

First off, I'm not certain CP3 is more valuable than Pierce has been the last five years. If that trade went through, the Celtics would undoubtedly still have 16 championships.

Secondly, a few things have changed since then. An offer of Rondo would be more appealing because he is the same position as CP3 and they could continue to build around a PG. And more importantly, CP3 no longer wants to play in NO, which brings down his trade value.

I'm not as positive as you are that CP3 is a better pure PG as Rondo, but he is definitely a better shooter. Is he a better driver? I'm not certain he is.

What platter could Orlando, NY, Dallas, etc. offer that would include a player of Rondo's abilities? Maybe those teams can offer more fillers who are decent role players, but any team can pick up a handful of those guys every deadline and offseason. Getting a player like Rondo isn't as easy.
CELTICS 2024

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2542
Has anyone outside of Bill Simmons mentioned a NO-Boston trade as a possibility?  I am trying to ascertain whether this is a rumor -- as in, something that has been linked to something real, like Danny expressing interest, or that inquiries have occurred, or that CP has increased his wish list to 5.   

After days of CP-to-Boston talk here, I don't think there has been any confirmation that Boston, NO or CP have any interest.  I'd be ecstatic to get him for Rondo, but I do not think the numbers can work, and I wouldn't give up KG to make the numbers work.  The idea from Simmons was intriguing at first, but at this point can't this just sit quietly until there is at least a shred of credible evidence that it's a possibility?

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Aside from the fact that Danny discussed the trade with Portland, this was right after the Indiana series where PP got thrown out of game 6 in the final seconds (almost costing us the game) and proceeded to hold that press conference with his face wrapped up in a bandage (because his jaw was probably broken when he was fouled). Not his finest moment as a player, and probably close to his low point value wise.

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
While I like Baby alot, I really like Okafor's defense and rebounding at 6'10". You put him at PF next to Perk or O'Neal? Or at center with KG bside him....

Tough, tough, tough defense in the paint.

I would do the Sheed, Baby, Gaf, Laf for Okafor and Wright if I could.

As someone else said,

Perk, O'Neal, KG, Okafor, maybe add Shaq ( which I would do just so I could use him to hammer Dwight Howard, LEbron, Wade and Kobe, in whatever order necessary. 10-15 minutes a night, 6 very hard fouls.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This one is particularly interesting:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2asm398

It actually involves New Orleans getting Rondo, Varejao and Mo Williams and according to Hollinger analysis... minus 30 wins for New Orleans!

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
why does every want to trade rondo? hes the future of this team. once he gets a jump shot down, he will be one of the best pg in the league hands down. and there's no way DA will trade rondo.

because CP3 already has that jump shot down.

and besides, i don't think there are any legs to this rumor of CP3-to-Boston. Rondo made a believer of me in the playoffs that he could be the #2 PG in the league as opposed to being behind players like Deron and Nash, but i always regarded CP3 as the best PG.

- LilRip
- LilRip