Author Topic: Hornets Want Okafor Included In Any Paul Deal ( does this help Bostons chances?)  (Read 8041 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If the Hornets are going to trade All-Star point guard Chris Paul, they reportedly want teams to take on the contract of Emeka Okafor Okafor's contract has four years and $52 million left on it The second overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft, Okafor has career averages of 13.3 points, 10.3 rebounds and 1.8 blocks

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68318/20100723/hornets_want_okafor_included_in_any_paul_deal/

I know it was pure speculation by Bill Simmons and Chris Paul didn't mention anything about wanting to join the C's, but if this is true about Okafor being involved in any deal with Paul, then Simmons could be right the C's have a great offer with

Bos sends: Rondo, Sheeds contract , Perk and a 1st rd pick
NO sends: Okafor and Paul

There is no way that New Orleans is going to get a star the caliber of Paul in Return, why not take a great young PG back in return (who has a huge amount of playoff experience, still has potential to reach another level , and has a team friendly contract for the next 5 years ) in return.

I understand they have collison, but he could easily be packaged for a young SG or like an oj mayo type of player.

Perk would be working back this season from injuries, but guess what ....that probably means he to is going to be able to be signed to a team friendlybdeal after next season ( probably around 4-5 mil per season with the new CBA).

Sheeds contract gives them instant cap relief and they get a 1st rd pick or 2.

This really does seem like a perfect match as trade partners. I don't see any other offers out there that would be better.

The best NYK can offer is: Galinari, chandler, curry and picks

The best portland can offer is: Aldridge or Oden(huge injury risk) , Andre Miller and pick

The best Dallas can offer is : Buebois( sp?) Expirings and picks.

The best Orlando can offer is : Nelson, carter or Lewis and picks

Come on Danny, get this done please!

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Orlando can also offer Gortat if they are going to have both Howard and Okafor.

So Nelson, Gortat, and other salary to make the deal work. While I would prefer Rondo, Nelson could probably score a lot on a bad team.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

So Nelson, Gortat, and other salary to make the deal work. While I would prefer Rondo, Nelson could probably score a lot on a bad team.

Rondo is a superior player to nelson. He pretty much dominated Nelson except for a game and a half of last years ECF. He is also an elite defender, something Nelson could only dream about being. Rondo has the speed to get by and stay in front of just about any PG in the league.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Boston never had a chance to land Chris Paul. He doesn't want to come here and Boston more than likely has no interest.

Besides with Okafor included it becomes almost impossible for Boston to do the trade due to the salaries involved.

Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor combined equals $26.435 million in salary. That means the least amount of salary that Boston could offer would be about $21.05 million in combined salaries.

That means if Boston packaged Rondo, Perkins, Wallace, LaFayette, Gaffney and Davis they would still be over a million dollars in salary short of reaching the minimum number needed to complete the trade because Rondo is in a Base Year Compensation situation and his outgoing salary only counts as half of the $9 million he will be making next year. With all those players already traded because of CBA rules about signing a player and then trading him we can not include Bradley, Erden, Pierce, Daniels, O'Neal or Allen in the trade. That leaves just KG available to trade and Boston isn't going there.

The only way it could work would be for Boston to trade Rondo, Davis, Perkins, Wallace, Gaffney, LaFayette and sign and trade Scalabrine(if he is willing to go to New Orleans). That would leave Boston with:

Paul/Robinson
Allen/Bradley
Pierce/Daniels
KG/Harangody
O'Neal/Okafor/Erden.

I don't care how good the starting five would be, the bench would be so atrocious as to make thinking of getting out of the second round of the playoffs near impossible.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How does this help our chances when we DONT WANT OR NEED HIM...

Seriously, do we need a new Chris Paul to Boston thread ever hour when we already have a championship caliber team??

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I don't Chris Paul is that much better than Rondo. I'm not sure I'd pick him over Rondo if I'm going to war. Rondo is a tough kid and a one man wrecking crew.

I'd never include Perkins in that deal, he is way, way, way underappreciated. Tough to find guys who willingly do what he does.

I would, hwoever, trade Rasheed, Baby, Lafayette and Gaffney for Okafor.

I like the Perkins, Okafor, KG defense and rebounding.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't Chris Paul is that much better than Rondo. I'm not sure I'd pick him over Rondo if I'm going to war. Rondo is a tough kid and a one man wrecking crew.

I'd never include Perkins in that deal, he is way, way, way underappreciated. Tough to find guys who willingly do what he does.

I would, hwoever, trade Rasheed, Baby, Lafayette and Gaffney for Okafor.

I like the Perkins, Okafor, KG defense and rebounding.

This is something I can agree to. Sheed, Baby, Laf, and Gaf for Okafor works greatly for me.

You forgot to include JOneal in the Perk, Okafor, KG, defense and rebounding. That is an incredible four man big man rotation that can bump with the lengthy Lakers anyday.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I'm just not sure we need Okafor. Right now, we have J.O, KG, and Glen. I think we need one more big, but he doesn't have to be an impact player, I think (Mbenga, Earl Barron, etc).

Jermaine O'Neal, in one of his healthiest seasons, played really well defensively against LA when they came to MIA last year, registering 4 blocks and helping MIA win.

Couple this with the fact that MIA didn't have any significant height and experienced help for J.O. while he was in MIA.

I think that a Healthy J.O, paired with KG, and Glen absorbing some minutes from both, can sustain us in the short haul.

And help us in a series VS LA. Getting Perk back, even at a portion of himself, seals the deal for us.

We don't need Okafor.

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
danny aint trading rondo for cp3 get it out ur head.. we dont like em rondo and nate sure dont like em either plus rondo is a better overall player then cp3... only thing cp got over rondo is a jumpshot

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42

Wow, that would be a scary lineup in Orlando if they were able to unload Nelson and Gortat for Okafur and CP3.  I definitely don't think that NO does this because it is so lopsided but if they did then Orlando would be serious contenders because they could slide Lewis to the 3 and play big with Howard and Okafur.  This would be similar to the Lakers playing Bynum, Odom and Gasol together in short stretches.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
the only way the Celtics can trade for Paul and Okafor is to trade Garnett.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
It doesn't help our case for Paul, but it greatly improves our case to be the third team/facilitator, a la our role in the Sheed-to-Detroit trade (which netted us Atkins & I believe Tony Allen for Chris Mills and Mike James).

Here's my idea for facilitating a trade to Portland:

New Orleans trades: Paul/Okafor
New Orleans receives: Oden/Andre Miller/Sheed/Gaffayette/Portland 1st rounder
Portland trades: Oden/Przybilla/Miller/Rudy Fernandez/1st rounder
Portland receives: Paul/Okafor
Boston trades: Sheed/Gafayette
Boston receives: Przybilla/Fernandez

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Wanna go to war with Rondo, thanks

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
It doesn't help our case for Paul, but it greatly improves our case to be the third team/facilitator, a la our role in the Sheed-to-Detroit trade (which netted us Atkins & I believe Tony Allen for Chris Mills and Mike James).

Here's my idea for facilitating a trade to Portland:

New Orleans trades: Paul/Okafor
New Orleans receives: Oden/Andre Miller/Sheed/Gaffayette/Portland 1st rounder
Portland trades: Oden/Przybilla/Miller/Rudy Fernandez/1st rounder
Portland receives: Paul/Okafor
Boston trades: Sheed/Gafayette
Boston receives: Przybilla/Fernandez

In my dreams  :o
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What chances?! We are not getting Paul. Period.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."