Author Topic: Trade Idea: NOH / BOS/ NYK  (Read 2710 times)

Trade Idea: NOH / BOS/ NYK
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
If Chris Paul gets his wish, I think there's a very good chance he ends up on the Knicks. Yes -- there are some potential deals out there that might make more sense, but Paul has the abolity to discourage those teams from trading for him, i.e. Portland or OKC. In his heart, I bet he wants to get Carmelo together with himself in Amare in New York under D'Antoni.

The Celtics can benefit in this deal, since the young talent on the Knicks is stacked at the wing position, and the Cs have Sheed's deal, OL's deal, TG's deal, and SE's deal to offer.

Here's my proposal:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=26pxby5

Note: ESPN indicates that Edren can't be traded until the 5th of August, so he's not included and therefore the trade "fails". But it works with him in it.

Thoughts? To me, it makes alot of sense for each team involved, when you consider their direction and depth. This would likely limit NYK's ability to get Anthony, but as they've learned this summer, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

The Cs could also throw a 1st round pick into this deal that the Knicks can't in order to get it done.

Our window is now. This improved the Cs dramatically in 2010-2011.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Trade Idea: NOH / BOS/ NYK
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
Is that the type of value that NO wants by trading their best player? I would think they could at least get an all star out of a deal. It's also too many players for NO to handle.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think the want that big of a poo-poo plater of players.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Is that the type of value that NO wants by trading their best player? I would think they could at least get an all star out of a deal. It's also too many players for NO to handle.

untrue brotha -- it's put em at 14 guys, 3 of whom they'd immediately cut (assuming they kept erden).

if i were the hornets, i would look to rebuild completely with young talent while ridding myself of every bad contract i have. this deal accomplishes that -- collison, thornton, chandler, gallinari and randolph, douglas and erden is a nice young core with TONS of future flexibility. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:21:59 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't think the want that big of a poo-poo plater of players.

I think unless they can get Russell Westbrook from OKC (don't count on it), they WOULD want 5 good young players instead of Jameer Nelson and Gortat type deal. Collison would be one of their main building pieces, and Jameer's just not that big of an improvement.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean, this is just crazy all around.

First off I doubt the Celtics make this deal just to help the Knicks get the three best players in the deal. I mean they'd be silly to say "Oh sure we'll get in that deal just so the Knicks make out like bandits."

Second, this trade leaves the Knicks with a 6 man roster; 2 of which are PG'S three of which are C's. Paul, Felton, Amare, Okafor, Mozgov and Posey... After all the additions and trades they've made I doubt they would want to start all over again with the free agent crop so low.

Third, The hornets really dont get any value out of this deal except financial relief. If they are in full on rebuilding mode I could see it making some sense but if they are trading Chris Paul AND Okafor AND Posey, then they are going to want either a young proven All Star or a young potential All Star in return. No one on that trade list gives them that.

This would just leave the Hornets with an awful awful team.
PG Collison/Douglas
SG Thorton
SF Peja/Chandler/Galinari
PF West/Songalia/Randolph
C  Gray

I would expect them to waive Sheed, Curry, Lafayette, and Gaffney. Leaves them at ten players 6 of whom play forward. I just don't see how this helps their team especially when they are giving up the three best players in the deal.

That being said I like it for the Celts even if it creates a log jam at the wing.

Rondo/Nate
Ray/Quis/Bradley
Pierce/Kelenna/Wright
KG/Baby/Haragody
Perk/Oneal/Turiaf/Edrih

Im happy going into the season with that line up.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I mean, this is just crazy all around.

First off I doubt the Celtics make this deal just to help the Knicks get the three best players in the deal. I mean they'd be silly to say "Oh sure we'll get in that deal just so the Knicks make out like bandits."

Second, this trade leaves the Knicks with a 6 man roster; 2 of which are PG'S three of which are C's. Paul, Felton, Amare, Okafor, Mozgov and Posey... After all the additions and trades they've made I doubt they would want to start all over again with the free agent crop so low.

Third, The hornets really dont get any value out of this deal except financial relief. If they are in full on rebuilding mode I could see it making some sense but if they are trading Chris Paul AND Okafor AND Posey, then they are going to want either a young proven All Star or a young potential All Star in return. No one on that trade list gives them that.

This would just leave the Hornets with an awful awful team.
PG Collison/Douglas
SG Thorton
SF Peja/Chandler/Galinari
PF West/Songalia/Randolph
C  Gray

I would expect them to waive Sheed, Curry, Lafayette, and Gaffney. Leaves them at ten players 6 of whom play forward. I just don't see how this helps their team especially when they are giving up the three best players in the deal.

That being said I like it for the Celts even if it creates a log jam at the wing.

Rondo/Nate
Ray/Quis/Bradley
Pierce/Kelenna/Wright
KG/Baby/Haragody
Perk/Oneal/Turiaf/Edrih

Im happy going into the season with that line up.

Really couldn't disagree with you more across the board -- you're getting too caught up in small picture stuff, and not considering a number of aspects that will be tough to manage in any Paul deal.

For the Knicks: The Knicks may be the only franchises who won't blink at taking both Okefor AND Poseys contracts while returning true financial relief (added by the Cs contracts). You call those two among the three best players in the deal, which is dead wrong – Gallinari, Chandler and even Randolph are FAR better NBA players than Posey, and Okefor has possibly the worst individual contract in the NBA.

With that said, note the article here:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/paul_out_effort_EcyvQVSiHUEs2x3BguzHoM

This is a commercial and long-term slam dunk for the Knicks. Rightly, they don't care at all about losing prospects for a top 5 NBA player. They gutted their team of everyone but Chandler and Gallinari for this reason alone. And they don’t care who else they field on the floor THIS year… they’ll sign the Jarvis Hayes, etc of the world and worry about building from here.

For the Hornets: As pointed out above, is there another scenario (not coming out of OKC) where the Hornets can get this much talent and this much financial relief in one deal? No. And Gallinari and Randolph are excellent NBA prospects, while Chandler is young and underrated. Again, who cares what position these guys play? They’re not winning anything for a while – it’s about talent. Meanwhile, they run Collison at the 1 (back-up is Douglas), Thornton at the 2 (back-up is Chandler), Gallinari at the 3 (back-up is Peja), West at the 4 (Randolph is the back-up) and whoever at C. That is a very nice rebuilding structure with tons of flexibility to move and sign new players….

For the Cs: Do I need to even write anything? Great value for Sheed.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hornets would have to be on a crack binge to do it and why would we help our rival the Knicks.  I don't see this happening or helping us.