Author Topic: Rethinking Nocioni  (Read 5879 times)

Re: Rethinking Nocioni
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm not opposed to Nocioni, but how would landing him be better than getting Shaq and Jamario Moon from Cleveland?

Mike
We get a player who can actually move, and has a reliable NBA skill, that's how it's better.

Last season's stats -

Shaq - 52 games, 23 minutes a game, 12 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.2 blocks
Moon - 61 games, 17.2 minutes a game, 4.9 points, 3.1 rebounds
Nocioni - 75 games, 19.7 minutes a game, 8.5 points, 3 rebounds

Frankly, the fact that Nocioni could just barely get more minutes playing for an atrocious Kings team than Moon could playing for the team with the best record in the league is a big red flag when it comes to Noc's productivity.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Kings were more interested in player development than they were with winning...

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »

Offline JudsonMerrill

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 8
It's a small sample, but pre-Westphal, Nocioni did exactly what you'd expect on a lousy team like the Kings. Played more, shot more, scored more, rebounded more. Even knocked in the three at a decent clip.

I think he's perfect for the Celtics and he'd thrive here, in a Posey type way.
--
The Pool, an e-novella
Available at judsonmerrill.com

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Uh, then why did the Kings play 27 year old Carl Landry over 37 minutes a game, 28 year old Beno Udrih over 32 minutes a game and 30 year old Francisco Garcia 23 minutes a game?

Mike

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Uh, then why did the Kings play 27 year old Carl Landry over 37 minutes a game, 28 year old Beno Udrih over 32 minutes a game and 30 year old Francisco Garcia 23 minutes a game?

Mike
13 wins + 15 losses (46.4%) with Nocioni starting

12 wins + 35 losses (25.5%) without Nocioni starting

The Kings reduced Nocioni's minutes solely to give playing time to players who were in their long term plans.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Mike

The Kings reduced Nocioni's minutes solely to give playing time to players who were in their long term plans.

Wow that's a pretty amazing stat.  I've always thought he would be a nice bench player on a good team.  Can shoot the 3 not the greatest defender for sure but, we need scoring more so I would be on board with it.

Has Danny ever spoken highly about Nocioni?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Mike

Wow that's a pretty amazing stat.  I've always thought he would be a nice bench player on a good team.  Can shoot the 3 not the greatest defender for sure but, we need scoring more so I would be on board with it.

Actually, he is a very good defender. He is not going to be much good against quicker wings, but against most SF's, and perimeter PF's, he can be very effective.  I don't think he is very far off from Posey, and is a better defender than Matt Barnes.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He can stretch the floor with his jumper too.  I don't think Danny thinks too much of foriegn players to be honest.  Look at our roster and his drafting.  Not much there to debate save Erden.   

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

As a starter, Nocioni averaged 25 minutes a game, 10.6 points, 3.8 rebounds.  As a sub, Nocioni averaged 16 minutes a game, 7.2 points and 2.4 rebounds.  Losing 3.4 points and 1.4 rebounds a game is not the reason the Kings stunk so much worse with Nocioni as a sub.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 04:40:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Mike

Actually, he is a very good defender. He is not going to be much good against quicker wings, but against most SF's, and perimeter PF's, he can be very effective.  I don't think he is very far off from Posey, and is a better defender than Matt Barnes.
I disagree, I don't think Nocioni has played above average defense for the past three seasons.

The reason for the decline is the decline in quickness and athleticism. Not much hope of Nocioni getting back to where he was defensively a few years ago (when he was a very good defender).

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 04:46:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Mike

As a starter, Nocioni averaged 25 minutes a game, 10.6 points, 3.8 rebounds.  As a sub, Nocioni averaged 16 minutes a game, 7.2 points and 2.4 rebounds.  Losing 3.4 points and 1.4 rebounds a game is not the reason the Kings stunk so much worse with Nocioni as a sub.

Mike
The decline in minutes and who Nocioni played alongside was a significant reason for the Kings decline. It was certainly not the only one though.

I would rank it third behind the (1) Carl Landry trade who was a poor addition (2) Kevin Martin's return from injury.

Tyreke Evans wasn't able to play with either player but played fantastically well alongside role players like Casspi, Udrih and Nocioni. Nocioni was a key glue guy for that Sacramento team.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
IMO, he is overpaid ... but his two year contract makes him more attractive as a player to me.