Author Topic: Rethinking Nocioni  (Read 5881 times)

Rethinking Nocioni
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Now that we have locked in with the Old Three, Nocioni's two remaining years are not nearly the problem we once considered them.

After two down years, does the 30 year old forward have anything left?

We could really use someone to back up Pierce, and the added depth at the four would be huge while Perk recovers.

Philly has no use for him - behind Iggy / Young at the three, and Brand / Speights at the four, he is a $6M dollar weight. We could probably get him and a pick for Wallace's contract.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Rethinking Nocioni
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:23 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Noc is who I see as the floor of what Sheed's contract can return. When the 90 day post trade rule expires, he should be available right away.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Noc is who I see as the floor of what Sheed's contract can return. When the 90 day post trade rule expires, he should be available right away.

I don't know.  While I really really hope you're right, I'm beginning to worry that Sheed might not net us what we want and that a Nocioni/Posey guy might be the best we can do. 

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I consider this a worse case scenario with regards to trading Sheed's contract.

Serviceable rotation player ... but not an impact role player.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd take him.  I think he could be like Posey in our championship year.  I think Nocioni needs a war to fight or he won't play to his potential.  He didn't get that challenge on the Kings.  In a playoff battle, I want guys like Nocioni on our team.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:52 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'd take him.  Likely only a one-year deal if you believe there will be a lockout.  Can back up Pierce.  Decent outside shooter.  Decent defender.  Could be another nice fit next to Quis and Nate, that'd be a very solid defensive unit.

Not sure there's going to be much better available with 'Sheed's contract unless we also toss in Baby or Avery or future draft picks.  Not likely to get a player who's better AND expires in two years or less.  Maybe you hold off in case you want Shaq and think you can get Cleveland to do a S&T.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like Nocioni, and he would fill a position of need.  But I think we need a little patience about how to use Sheed's contract.  It could become very useful/valuable by late December.  

Also, we've got Harangody -- our much cheaper, but less experienced, version of Nocioni.

:)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I consider this a worse case scenario with regards to trading Sheed's contract.

Serviceable rotation player ... but not an impact role player.
Unfortunately, I am not sure we can do better at this point. Remember, we're trying to acquire a player for basically nothing. Maybe a pick or two.

Nocioni will fill a need, and the SF we need to add will probably be higher up in the rotation than any big man we need to add. So in this sense we might be ok getting someone for the veteran minimum there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Correction: this trade is doable now because it would be a 1 for 1 swap...which is allowed. Shoulda known after the summer QRich had last year.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
No -- I'm not in favor.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like Nocioni, and he would fill a position of need.  But I think we need a little patience about how to use Sheed's contract.  It could become very useful/valuable by late December.  

Also, we've got Harangody -- our much cheaper, but less experienced, version of Nocioni.

:)
pretty much right on
have faith in danny and see what he can do, if nothing better shows up i'm for it, he and daniels as backup wings is fine

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm not opposed to Nocioni, but how would landing him be better than getting Shaq and Jamario Moon from Cleveland?

Mike

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'm not opposed to Nocioni, but how would landing him be better than getting Shaq and Jamario Moon from Cleveland?

Mike

Now thats a trade I would enjoy. Shaq starts and Moon plays alongside Daniels and Nate

But I still like the idea of getting Nocioni. Maybe a three way trade with another team that could net us another big
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Mike
We get a player who can actually move, and has a reliable NBA skill, that's how it's better.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 01:25:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Mike
We get a player who can actually move, and has a reliable NBA skill, that's how it's better.
Movement is overrated ;)