Author Topic: Rumor: Barnes to the Lakers according to Wojo- 1 year for $1.7 million  (Read 11709 times)

Re: Barnes to the Lakers according to Wojo- 1 year for the min.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Great. The Lakers have had a fantastic offseason while we have taken a step back. Very disappointing.

They had a fantastic offseason? The Lakers?

Matt Barnes isn't that good.

He is better than any of our backup wings on the bench.

True Barnes is better then having nothing at all....

Better then nothing doesn't equate to fantastic in my book.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If Barnes goes.. no worries. There are still a dozen plus quality wings out there I'd be glad to see as a member of the Celtics.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
the 2 deserve each other

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great. The Lakers have had a fantastic offseason while we have taken a step back. Very disappointing.

mmm... Gaffney and Harangody (if you count him as a 3) haven't played a minute in the NBA. How are you so sure Barnes is better than those kids?  ;)

If the C's get out of Stackhouse, Rodney Carney, T-Mac or Jarvis Hayes, I'm ok. If they could get Josh Howard or Battier, it would be great. Barnes didn't impress a lot playing with the Magic, he started and all, but Pietrus was 20x better than him.

Barnes (in my opinion) has played well in the past, but this doesn't offer a bigger guarantee of good playing time, defense and shooting from him than with Joe Alexander, Damien Wilkins and Adam Morrison, whose moustache is also better.  :D

He would be a nice 9th or 10th man, but he won't play for the C's and the C's need  a 6th/7th type of player; Josh Howard could fill that role if healthy, and Shane Battier would be nice also. It's not like the Celtics have missed on a big star.

The Celtics won't sub Paul Pierce with Harangody or Gaffney. There's a lot to be seen yet. Enjoy the ride.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Pierce abused him anyways. I was never a real fan of his. Fine by me, rather have Daniels back than Barnes.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

mmm... Gaffney and Harangody (if you count him as a 3) haven't played a minute in the NBA. How are you so sure Barnes is better than those kids?  ;)

If the C's get out of Stackhouse, Rodney Carney, T-Mac or Jarvis Hayes, I'm ok. If they could get Josh Howard or Battier, it would be great. Barnes didn't impress a lot playing with the Magic, he started and all, but Pietrus was 20x better than him.

Barnes (in my opinion) has played well in the past, but this doesn't offer a bigger guarantee of good playing time, defense and shooting from him than with Joe Alexander, Damien Wilkins and Adam Morrison, whose moustache is also better.  :D

He would be a nice 9th or 10th man, but he won't play for the C's and the C's need  a 6th/7th type of player; Josh Howard could fill that role if healthy, and Shane Battier would be nice also. It's not like the Celtics have missed on a big star.

The Celtics won't sub Paul Pierce with Harangody or Gaffney. There's a lot to be seen yet. Enjoy the ride.
Tony Gaffney left UMass in the spring of 2009. IF, big if, he is playing in the league next year it will be in his first NBA games. If Gaffney was better than Barnes, my guess here is he would have been playing in the league last year.

While I wouldn't mind Barnes and think it's no great loss if we do not get him, let's not start so understating his skills that we are even thinking for a second that Harangody or Gaffney could contribute more to this team this year than Barnes could have. They just aren't even in the league of NBA role player yet.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if we are counting on gaffney and lafayette to be major players off the bench...then we are screwed

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
if we are counting on gaffney and lafayette to be major players off the bench...then we are screwed
Tru dat

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
OK, let's see if I've got this straight...

He's supposedly going to LAL for 1.7 M.

We could sign him for the vet minimum (~2M) plus have a better opportunity to play. We've already lost TA.

Hopefully DA has something big in the works...

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
wow this is terrible

the lakers aren't supposed to be tough

but now they have artest and barnes

i hate the lakers, but it was easy when they were soft and silly like in 2008
Now they are bullies taking our lunch.  we need sheed to come back, we need a player like barnes.   we need to beat them in the finals.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
wow this is terrible

the lakers aren't supposed to be tough

but now they have artest and barnes

i hate the lakers, but it was easy when they were soft and silly like in 2008
Now they are bullies taking our lunch.  we need sheed to come back, we need a player like barnes.   we need to beat them in the finals.

There is a difference between "tough" and thuggery.  Example:  Posey (hate to bring him up) was tough, because he'd get into it and agitate and distract, but always - ALWAYS - smile as he walked away.  He was 100% in control, and never let the moment overtake him.  It's true that Barnes (and JO) may be physical players, but that may not make them "tough."  They could just be Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s.

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

We could sign him for the vet minimum (~2M) plus have a better opportunity to play. We've already lost TA.

Vet min's about $1M, not $2M.  Depends on years in the league, but about $1M for a guy of Barnes' tenure.

The LLE is about $1.8M, that's what we used to sign Quis last season and you only get to use it every other year.  So, we couldn't have matched the Lakers offer - seems like they used what they had left of the MLE after signing Blake, while we used the whole MLE on Jermaine O'Neil. 

I don't see Barnes as a bully.  Pierce owned him last year.  He WANTS to be a bully, but he's just a cheap-shot guy.  "Fugazi," I think it the term I want to use.

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
If I'm not mistaken, the Lakers also signed Steve Blake, who, I think, will be excellent off the bench.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If I'm not mistaken, the Lakers also signed Steve Blake, who, I think, will be excellent off the bench.

they did, they're actually having a good offseason. Blake is an upgrade for Farmar, and should fit nicely into the triangle system. Barnes gives them another wing who can defend and hit the 3 on occasion.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Vet min's about $1M, not $2M.  Depends on years in the league, but about $1M for a guy of Barnes' tenure.

The LLE is about $1.8M, that's what we used to sign Quis last season and you only get to use it every other year.  So, we couldn't have matched the Lakers offer - seems like they used what they had left of the MLE after signing Blake, while we used the whole MLE on Jermaine O'Neil. 

I don't see Barnes as a bully.  Pierce owned him last year.  He WANTS to be a bully, but he's just a cheap-shot guy.  "Fugazi," I think it the term I want to use.
Just for clarities sake

8 year vet minimum salary = $1.27 million

LLE for 2010-11 = $2.08 million