Author Topic: Three way trade idea: Bos-NO-Ind  (Read 3696 times)

Three way trade idea: Bos-NO-Ind
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about a three way trade with the Pacers (looking for a PG)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=27tdn8x

Boston gets Paul

NO gets Granger, Wallace (retires) and Gaffney (waive)

Pacers get Rondo and Lafayette

If NO really wants to dump

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2buehog

Boston gets Paul

NO gets Granger, Wallace, Gaffney, Lafayette and Rush

Ind gets Rondo and Posey

Re: Three way trade idea: Bos-NO-Ind
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'd like it if we got something else in the deal instead of just Paul. It makes it rather difficult to fill out the bench if that happens.
I bleed Green

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
From NO's perspective, it's Paul for Granger. I wouldn't trade Chris Paul for Danny granger, would you?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
From NO's perspective, it's Paul for Granger. I wouldn't trade Chris Paul for Danny granger, would you?

Its a good look for them, they would have Collison, Rush and Granger for their starting 3. Not a bad young team versus what they would only have if they just took Rondo. And its not like Granger is just a bum, he was an all-star last year and is putting up some serious numbers. Over 25 ppg, over 5 rpg and 5 rpg are some really good numbers.
I bleed Green

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think the 2nd of the trades is the one NO would want.  They get Granger.  They drop Posey.  They get contracts that will not count (or fully count) against this years cap.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd rather see New Orleans trade Darren Collison for Paul George.

Chris Paul + Marcus Thornton + Paul George = Nice perimeter trio, explosive trio, to build around long term.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Chris Paul + Marcus Thornton + Paul George = Nice perimeter trio, explosive trio, to build around long term.

Except Paul wants out.  I would bet NO would rather keep Paul as well.  (just like Cleveland wanted to keep Lebron)

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Except Paul wants out.  I would bet NO would rather keep Paul as well.  (just like Cleveland wanted to keep Lebron)
New Orleans should refuse to co-operate with Paul's trade demands.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

New Orleans should refuse to co-operate with Paul's trade demands.
Yeah, but will they have the guts to do that?

How far is CP3 willing to go? I don't see him as being the type to actually dog their way out of town.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Its a good look for them, they would have Collison, Rush and Granger for their starting 3. Not a bad young team versus what they would only have if they just took Rondo. And its not like Granger is just a bum, he was an all-star last year and is putting up some serious numbers. Over 25 ppg, over 5 rpg and 5 rpg are some really good numbers.

you don't trade paul for danny granger. ever.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I think the 2nd of the trades is the one NO would want.  They get Granger.  They drop Posey.  They get contracts that will not count (or fully count) against this years cap.

still don't see NOH getting enough / getting rid of enough. regardless of collison, you'd trade for rondo over granger. if you could get rondo, the immediate relief of sheed and the flexibility of perk as an asset for paul and okefor, you'd do that over either of the deals above, right?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Boston gets Paul

Boston gets Paul

Ind gets Rondo and Posey
both trades stink for the C's.  Give up Rondo and Sheed as their two best assets (not to mention the future of the franchise) for just Chris Paul?  no way.  C's need to fill their bench with something significant at the wing position and a backup for JO for the first part of the season.  Getting Paul isn't enough of an upgrade over Rondo next year to justify also losing the trading chip that is Sheed's deal

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Boston gets Paul

Boston gets Paul

Ind gets Rondo and Posey
both trades stink for the C's.  Give up Rondo and Sheed as their two best assets (not to mention the future of the franchise) for just Chris Paul?  no way.  C's need to fill their bench with something significant at the wing position and a backup for JO for the first part of the season.  Getting Paul isn't enough of an upgrade over Rondo next year to justify also losing the trading chip that is Sheed's deal

Are you actually arguing that a trade where the Cs give up one player and get chris paul in return "stinks"? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahha
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Few things wrong with these scenarios

1.) Word being spread in the media is that it will take Okafor's contract being taken on in order to procure Paul. Makes sense as in a long term build in NO, Okafor's contract with 4 years left on it is lethal.

2.) There is just no way NO is taking just some salary relief and a marginal All-Star for the best PG in the game since Stockton. It would be the equivalent of Cleveland having taken salary relief and Ray Allen for LeBron James. It would be the equivalent of the Lakers taking Carlos Boozer and salary relief for Kobe. You just don't make those type of trades unless a whole bunch of draft picks are also coming back, like Indy's 2011 and 2013 unprotected 1st rounders and a second rounder.

3.) Boston would never trade Rondo and the only other trade asset they have to help build this year's team to get Paul. Rondo will be the player the team starts rebuilding with and is signed for 5 years at a very, very, very reasonable rate. Things don't work out here after this trade and Paul is gone in two years and Boston is looking at having just an aging Pierce and nothing else to build around. They would require an extension from Paul as a preface to these scenarios. Which brings me to number 4

4.) Unless Paul is going where he wants to go or where he feels there is a long term winning situation, he's not signing an extension before the trade. Boston is not somewhere he has discussed wanting to be so I doubt an extension would happen and he would then bolt as fast as he could once free agency is within his grasp.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Few things wrong with these scenarios

1.) Word being spread in the media is that it will take Okafor's contract being taken on in order to procure Paul. Makes sense as in a long term build in NO, Okafor's contract with 4 years left on it is lethal.

2.) There is just no way NO is taking just some salary relief and a marginal All-Star for the best PG in the game since Stockton. It would be the equivalent of Cleveland having taken salary relief and Ray Allen for LeBron James. It would be the equivalent of the Lakers taking Carlos Boozer and salary relief for Kobe. You just don't make those type of trades unless a whole bunch of draft picks are also coming back, like Indy's 2011 and 2013 unprotected 1st rounders and a second rounder.

3.) Boston would never trade Rondo and the only other trade asset they have to help build this year's team to get Paul. Rondo will be the player the team starts rebuilding with and is signed for 5 years at a very, very, very reasonable rate. Things don't work out here after this trade and Paul is gone in two years and Boston is looking at having just an aging Pierce and nothing else to build around. They would require an extension from Paul as a preface to these scenarios. Which brings me to number 4

4.) Unless Paul is going where he wants to go or where he feels there is a long term winning situation, he's not signing an extension before the trade. Boston is not somewhere he has discussed wanting to be so I doubt an extension would happen and he would then bolt as fast as he could once free agency is within his grasp.

Certainly if these are based in the theory that Chris Paul doesn't want to be here and / ro won't sign an extension, all fair....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)