Author Topic: This is how CP3 becomes a Laker  (Read 9939 times)

Re: This is how CP3 becomes a Laker
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:17 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Unlikely to happen.

Knowing the style of Phil Jackson, his success depends heavily on his chief gunner (aka Michael Jordan then, Kobe now). He seldom utilizes and maximizes the PG's role on a team. A PG to him only brings the ball down the court safely, passes the ball to the chief gunner safely and knocks down important jumpers at a very high accuracy rate. Once the ball gets to the chief gunner, it is he who either runs the plays or shoots the ball himself. The gunner is Phil's version of a quarterback, running back and wide receiver all rolled into one. Though CP3 is an excellent PG for any NBA team, I doubt if he'll fit well with LAL. Jordan had Kerr and Harper, Kobe had Fish and Harper. None was really an excellent PG.

Of course, they may change strategy due to major roster changes all over the league i.e. Heat, Thunder, Bulls, Knicks, etc.

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:53 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
greenhead: the issue is that Phil Jackson plans for this next season to be his last.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unlikely to happen.

Knowing the style of Phil Jackson, his success depends heavily on his chief gunner (aka Michael Jordan then, Kobe now). He seldom utilizes and maximizes the PG's role on a team. A PG to him only brings the ball down the court safely, passes the ball to the chief gunner safely and knocks down important jumpers at a very high accuracy rate. Once the ball gets to the chief gunner, it is he who either runs the plays or shoots the ball himself. The gunner is Phil's version of a quarterback, running back and wide receiver all rolled into one. Though CP3 is an excellent PG for any NBA team, I doubt if he'll fit well with LAL. Jordan had Kerr and Harper, Kobe had Fish and Harper. None was really an excellent PG.

Of course, they may change strategy due to major roster changes all over the league i.e. Heat, Thunder, Bulls, Knicks, etc.

I remember hear this type of argument being made about big men when he was about to coach Shaq.

Offensives are adjustable for the players you have.  I have no doubt there would be changes made to the triangle for a talent like Paul.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum

[/quote]

Offensives are adjustable for the players you have.  I have no doubt there would be changes made to the triangle for a talent like Paul.
[/quote]

True. They may really make adjustments considering the fact that they won't match well against the Thunder. Kobe will be a monstrous mismatch against KD and so is Fish on Westbrook. Kobe will be rendered useless against KD if the latter will check on Kobe on the defensive end. Reminds me so well of the irrelevance of Byron Scott and Magic when they were such a big mismatch against Jordan. Scott, who scores a lot in a game, can't defend nor shoot against Jordan.

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Not sure Chris Paul + Emeka Okafor is an upgrade over Andrew Bynum + Lamar Odom.

I wouldn't be worried about that trade happening.

That is a major upgrade.  They would then have to go out and find a backup PF, but they are adding the best player.

Kobe, CP3 and Gasol > Lebron, Wade and Bosh.  

Swapping Okafor for Bynum changes the whole dynamic of the Lakers, both on offense and defense.  Bynum averaged 15 points on 30 minutes a game last season.  Okafor average 10 points on 29 minutes.  When Bynum and Pau are on the floor, the opposing team's center HAS to guard Bynum.  That allows Pau a more favorable matchup against other power forwards.  Put Okafor and Pau together and any intelligent team will put their center on Pau and their PF on Okafor.

And defensively, Okafor is like Alonzo Mourning.  He can block shots, but he doesn't have anything like Bynum's size when it comes to clogging the lane or standing in the lane and grabbing an offensive rebound.

Not to mention that you can't just replace Odom off the bench with any old backup PF.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
greenhead: the issue is that Phil Jackson plans for this next season to be his last.

I agree. Still Phil would want to retire with success, like winning another title, and leave a team that will have a good "fighting" future.

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 10:51:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not sure Chris Paul + Emeka Okafor is an upgrade over Andrew Bynum + Lamar Odom.

That is a major upgrade.  They would then have to go out and find a backup PF, but they are adding the best player.

Swapping Okafor for Bynum changes the whole dynamic of the Lakers, both on offense and defense.  Bynum averaged 15 points on 30 minutes a game last season.  Okafor average 10 points on 29 minutes.  When Bynum and Pau are on the floor, the opposing team's center HAS to guard Bynum.  That allows Pau a more favorable matchup against other power forwards.  Put Okafor and Pau together and any intelligent team will put their center on Pau and their PF on Okafor.

And defensively, Okafor is like Alonzo Mourning.  He can block shots, but he doesn't have anything like Bynum's size when it comes to clogging the lane or standing in the lane and grabbing an offensive rebound.

Not to mention that you can't just replace Odom off the bench with any old backup PF.

Mike
Also, Emeka Okafor's defense has declined dramatically.

He is still a good defender but no longer an exceptional one.

New Orleans reduced his minutes drastically too, down to 28.9 minutes a night, in order to keep him fresh and healthy. Stamina is a major question mark with Okafor.

As his unimpressive work rate (the number of times I saw this guy lazily jog back in transition gifting the other team easy layup opportunities ... unbelievable, thank goodness he can point to Spencer Hawes and Andrea Bargnani) + his declining level of quickness.

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

That is a major upgrade.  They would then have to go out and find a backup PF, but they are adding the best player.

I'm not sure there is enough basketballs for Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant.

Chris Paul is as dominant as he is because he is allowed to monopolized the ball. Kobe Bryant is a guy who demands a huge portion of their half court offense. Then there is Pau Gasol who already doesn't get enough touches or shot attempts. Then you have Artest who can't run in transition and Okafor who has declined considerably.

Reduce the number of touches Chris Paul gets and his numbers + impact will decline considerably.

Maybe it could work if you moved Pau Gasol to the center position and spaced out the floor. Played a run and gun style. I think you could create enough offensive opportunities to keep everyone happy in that offense ... but otherwise, those guys are going to have huge diminished returns. There just aren't enough touches to go around.

----------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, you have Andrew Bynum a player who is capable of thoroughly dominating a game without scoring. A hugely gifted interior defender + rebounder + a highly efficient scorer with a pretty good low post game when called upon.

And then there's Lamar Odom who gives LA a three-headed monster up front. A double double machine. Great diversity in their offensive games. Capable of creating mismatches against just about every team in the league + can eliminate matchup advantages from other teams (perimeter fours like Rashard Lewis to big fives like Yao and Dwight). Plus the rebounding.

-----------------------------------------------------

I don't see that transaction as a clear improvement for LA.

I see it as a lateral move.

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'd like to see that trade happen. You break up that LA frontline, and there's no question LA becomes weaker.

Exactly.

Kobe and Paul are both guys that like having the ball for alot of the shot clock. It wouldn’t work. One of their games would be affected.

LeBron/Wade?

agree.  L.A. is best as they are now.  Kobe with ball in hands  all the time, able to give it to clutch PG fisher once in a blue moon, highly skilled bigs.

Lebron and Wade will move the rock back and forth better than would Kobe and Paul.  A couple of Kobe glares and Paul would would want out of L.A. :)

Chris Paul should go to Brooklyn and wait patiently while Favors improves.  They could win a title in 3 or 4 years.....(Lopez, Favors and Paul....what's not to like?)
Paul says he wants out and wants to play with superstars, not puppies. If he wanted to be a part of a rebuilding program, he would just stay in New Orleans.

Here's the problem for New Orleans. In trading Paul, they HAVE to get someone back that they can sell as a future star building block and that player has to have already done something in the league. New York and Orlando have no one on their rosters that fit that bill.

Sure Orlando could give them a hodge podge of role players and picks but New Orleans would soon discover they got 10 cents on the dollar for Paul as the players would show they can't win games and the picks would be in the high 20's.

New York can't give them any type of talent and have no picks to deal.

Then who?

Is Indiana going to give up Granger knowing in 2 years Paul will be bolting for better pastures elsewhere? I doubt it. Boston isn't giving up Rondo knowing they have no one to build around once Ray and KG are gone. Is Portland going to give up Oden and Aldridge for Paul? I doubt that. Denver? They would be glad to ship off Chauncey and JR Smith for Paul and Posey but that is probably clearly not enough for New Orleans.

And there in lies the rub. New Orleans HAS to get a NAME  star back that would be around a while to build around and most of the teams out there aren't going to be willing to do it without Paul consenting to an extension. But is Paul going to give an entension out to a team that isn't on his list? That I do not see happening.

And that is why I see his most likely landing spot being the Lakers. Fear not, LA would gladly suck up Blake's salary until December when they will be able to move him for help up front.
I usually agree with you, but in this case I can't see the Lakers wanting to do this deal.

PG isn't huge for the Lakers, and CP3's injuries leave him in a similar situation as Bynum.

Lakers' frontline is more valuable than CP3 - I'd be shocked if Kupchak would have interest.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Sources told Broussard on Thursday that the Knicks and Magic are on Paul's list of preferred destinations, but the Lakers are not. Sources told Broussard that the Portland Trail Blazers and Dallas Mavericks are also in the running if Paul were to be traded.

More grist for the mill.

I still feel the same way I felt last night - I don't believe that Demps' first move as GM will be to deal Paul unless Paul forces his hand with far more than leaked anonymous trade demands.

EDIT - Oops. Looks like this rumor has its own thread.

Currently 6/10 forum topics on the front page are about Paul. All apologies to Nick, the OP, but it may be time for a bring back Tony Allen thread? Antoine? Bill Walker?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:48:52 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sources told Broussard on Thursday that the Knicks and Magic are on Paul's list of preferred destinations, but the Lakers are not. Sources told Broussard that the Portland Trail Blazers and Dallas Mavericks are also in the running if Paul were to be traded.

More grist for the mill.

I still feel the same way I felt last night - I don't believe that Demps' first move as GM will be to deal Paul unless Paul forces his hand with far more than leaked anonymous trade demands.

EDIT - Oops. Looks like this rumor has its own thread.

Currently 6/10 forum topics on the front page are about Paul. All apologies to Nick, the OP, but it may be time for a bring back Tony Allen thread? Antoine? Bill Walker?
Touche sir, TP4U!!