Author Topic: This is how CP3 becomes a Laker  (Read 9940 times)

Re: This is how CP3 becomes a Laker
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 04:47:08 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
Unfortunately I see this being very likely....

Trade Bynum, let Pau play center and have lamar start at PF or pick someone else up. Get a vet min backup C for Pau and you're golden.

Though it wouldnt make much sense having just signed fisher for 3 years. You couldnt bench Blake that wouldnt make any sense, and Fisher wouldnt ever be needed considering how dynamic Paul is and how good of a backup blake would be.

So maybe it isnt that likely afterall...
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'd like to see that trade happen. You break up that LA frontline, and there's no question LA becomes weaker.

Exactly.

Kobe and Paul are both guys that like having the ball for alot of the shot clock. It wouldn’t work. One of their games would be affected.

LeBron/Wade?

agree.  L.A. is best as they are now.  Kobe with ball in hands  all the time, able to give it to clutch PG fisher once in a blue moon, highly skilled bigs.

Lebron and Wade will move the rock back and forth better than would Kobe and Paul.  A couple of Kobe glares and Paul would would want out of L.A. :)

Chris Paul should go to Brooklyn and wait patiently while Favors improves.  They could win a title in 3 or 4 years.....(Lopez, Favors and Paul....what's not to like?)

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I don't even know why there's a such thing as "no-trade clauses" in the NBA.  It's called being an all-star.  When you're an all-star, the GM and owner is at your mercy.  They wouldn't dare trade you to a team that you didn't want to go to, because they know you'd make it public that you didn't want to go there and would scare away that other team.

The whole situation is pretty pathetic.  I can see where players get upset with the direction of a team and would REQUEST a trade.  But to DEMAND a trade, and to demand which team(s) you get traded to is just asisine.

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'd like to see that trade happen. You break up that LA frontline, and there's no question LA becomes weaker.

Exactly.

Kobe and Paul are both guys that like having the ball for alot of the shot clock. It wouldn’t work. One of their games would be affected.

LeBron/Wade?

agree.  L.A. is best as they are now.  Kobe with ball in hands  all the time, able to give it to clutch PG fisher once in a blue moon, highly skilled bigs.

Lebron and Wade will move the rock back and forth better than would Kobe and Paul.  A couple of Kobe glares and Paul would would want out of L.A. :)

Chris Paul should go to Brooklyn and wait patiently while Favors improves.  They could win a title in 3 or 4 years.....(Lopez, Favors and Paul....what's not to like?)
Paul says he wants out and wants to play with superstars, not puppies. If he wanted to be a part of a rebuilding program, he would just stay in New Orleans.

Here's the problem for New Orleans. In trading Paul, they HAVE to get someone back that they can sell as a future star building block and that player has to have already done something in the league. New York and Orlando have no one on their rosters that fit that bill.

Sure Orlando could give them a hodge podge of role players and picks but New Orleans would soon discover they got 10 cents on the dollar for Paul as the players would show they can't win games and the picks would be in the high 20's.

New York can't give them any type of talent and have no picks to deal.

Then who?

Is Indiana going to give up Granger knowing in 2 years Paul will be bolting for better pastures elsewhere? I doubt it. Boston isn't giving up Rondo knowing they have no one to build around once Ray and KG are gone. Is Portland going to give up Oden and Aldridge for Paul? I doubt that. Denver? They would be glad to ship off Chauncey and JR Smith for Paul and Posey but that is probably clearly not enough for New Orleans.

And there in lies the rub. New Orleans HAS to get a NAME  star back that would be around a while to build around and most of the teams out there aren't going to be willing to do it without Paul consenting to an extension. But is Paul going to give an entension out to a team that isn't on his list? That I do not see happening.

And that is why I see his most likely landing spot being the Lakers. Fear not, LA would gladly suck up Blake's salary until December when they will be able to move him for help up front.

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Odom would throw a fit and be more trouble for NO than they want. I mean, they would be trading CP3 because he's disgruntled. Are they really going to trade one headache for another...?

Plus, like has been said, LA becomes very vulnerable in the post with this trade. I think this Lakers team could go lose to OKC.

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Exactly.

LeBron/Wade?

Paul says he wants out and wants to play with superstars, not puppies. If he wanted to be a part of a rebuilding program, he would just stay in New Orleans.

Here's the problem for New Orleans. In trading Paul, they HAVE to get someone back that they can sell as a future star building block and that player has to have already done something in the league. New York and Orlando have no one on their rosters that fit that bill.

Sure Orlando could give them a hodge podge of role players and picks but New Orleans would soon discover they got 10 cents on the dollar for Paul as the players would show they can't win games and the picks would be in the high 20's.

New York can't give them any type of talent and have no picks to deal.

Then who?

Is Indiana going to give up Granger knowing in 2 years Paul will be bolting for better pastures elsewhere? I doubt it. Boston isn't giving up Rondo knowing they have no one to build around once Ray and KG are gone. Is Portland going to give up Oden and Aldridge for Paul? I doubt that. Denver? They would be glad to ship off Chauncey and JR Smith for Paul and Posey but that is probably clearly not enough for New Orleans.

And there in lies the rub. New Orleans HAS to get a NAME  star back that would be around a while to build around and most of the teams out there aren't going to be willing to do it without Paul consenting to an extension. But is Paul going to give an entension out to a team that isn't on his list? That I do not see happening.

And that is why I see his most likely landing spot being the Lakers. Fear not, LA would gladly suck up Blake's salary until December when they will be able to move him for help up front.

Boston builds around CP....In 2012 they just  go after Melo....and still have Pierce by the by...

Or CP puts in two stellar seasons in Boston and we all love watching the team and then rebuild in 2012.....

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
I don't see the Lakers being able to add Paul without giving up Gasol.   IMO, Bynum won't be nearly as attractive a package as what the Hornets can get from New Jersey. 

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:24 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
This is why I am sick to my stomach when I hear the rumor that he wants out. Paul going to the Lakers means an extended window for the Lakers for like 6 more years because of how talented Gasol is. What we have going for us is Bynum's injury past to scare them off of him.

New Orleans has to keep him. This new guy Chouest has deep pockets and he will get the team from Shinn soon. They gotta flip Collison instead.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If Bynum were healthy New Orleans would have to consider this trade. But his knee woes are such that he has become a much less attractive trading chip.

Agreed.  The Lakers would have to include at least one first round pick.

I do agree with an earlier poster that it is more likely that CP3 heads east, since NO owners don't want to see CP3 that often after he gets traded. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Fisher will be quite unhappy  ::)

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If he gets traded I hope it's the Knicks out of the rumored teams.  An Amare/Paul combo would be awesome to watch (and add in the rumored Melo... wow, most entertaining offensive team in the modern era).  I'm not sure if they have the resources though, they don't even have a good draft pick situation.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not sure Chris Paul + Emeka Okafor is an upgrade over Andrew Bynum + Lamar Odom.

I wouldn't be worried about that trade happening.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Oklahoma City is a sleeper here.  They can send back any number of young players and have about 7 million in cap space so can absorb about half of Paul's salary

For example, Westbrook and Green for Paul works under cap rules.  Gives New Orleans an up and coming PG and a very solid young F.  Paul gets to play with a superstar in Durant (and OKC still has some other solid pieces around them).  New Orleans then moves Westbrook or Collison at some point for someone else.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not sure Chris Paul + Emeka Okafor is an upgrade over Andrew Bynum + Lamar Odom.

I wouldn't be worried about that trade happening.

That is a major upgrade.  They would then have to go out and find a backup PF, but they are adding the best player.

Kobe, CP3 and Gasol > Lebron, Wade and Bosh.  

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
If he gets traded I hope it's the Knicks out of the rumored teams.  An Amare/Paul combo would be awesome to watch (and add in the rumored Melo... wow, most entertaining offensive team in the modern era).  I'm not sure if they have the resources though, they don't even have a good draft pick situation.

Well they'd have to give up Gallinari, Chandler, and Randolph + salary and picks.....They could do it.