Author Topic: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)  (Read 17553 times)

Re: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I love when people on this board think Rondo's defense is vastly superior to Paul's when Chris Paul led the league in steals for 2 seasons.  If the Celtics could get Paul for Rondo, you would have to do it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately it sounds like Paul has limited himself to a few teams and plus, the difference in talent isn't big enough for Danny to trade the most popular Celtic

Well, if Danny made decisions based on Internet popularity, our team would be knee-deep in the lousy players from the 2007 losing streak - Gomes, West, et al.

Fortunately, he doesn't.

If Danny took your advice we'd be seeing Rondo walk for nothing in return this summer because Danny wouldn't have offered Rondo that extension.

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I would do this trade and I think we would have won last year with CP instead of Rondo.

We would have gotten beat by the Cavs. Paul isn't the most durable pg around.

Not sure about that Bball, that CLE team was beatable.....Rondo certainly had an incredible series, but could Mo Williams have guarded CP any better than he guarded Rajon?

How well was Paul playing at the end of the season? He played 45 games last year, he played 64 in another of his 5 seasons and he IIRC got outplayed pretty badly by Billups in the 09 playoffs due (at least in part) to health issues.

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
saw a rumor(probably fake) that danny may offer perkins davis wallace lafayette gaffney and two first round picks for CP3

https://twitter.com/MattyDHume

rondo
paul
pierce
garnett
oneal

ray sixth man

LA can beat that with Bynum....

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I would do this trade and I think we would have won last year with CP instead of Rondo.

Not sure about that Bball, that CLE team was beatable.....Rondo certainly had an incredible series, but could Mo Williams have guarded CP any better than he guarded Rajon?

How well was Paul playing at the end of the season? He played 45 games last year, he played 64 in another of his 5 seasons and he IIRC got outplayed pretty badly by Billups in the 09 playoffs due (at least in part) to health issues.

okay so you're saying that he would not return to a healthy form if we traded for him....

I thought we were talking about what adding a relatively healthy CP to this team would mean in terms of match ups...

health is certainly a question mark in a deal for CP3, but in terms of having a healthy CP, I don't think we would have lost to the Cavs of last season.

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Melo is a free agent next summer unless there is a lockout and he doesn't opt out.  If there is a season in 11-12 Melo will be on a new contract.

Melo can just play out his contract. In which case he's a FA in 2012...
he could but he isn't going to unless there is a lockout.  If there isn't a lockout, Melo is going to opt out next summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Melo is a free agent next summer unless there is a lockout and he doesn't opt out.  If there is a season in 11-12 Melo will be on a new contract.

Melo can just play out his contract. In which case he's a FA in 2012...
he could but he isn't going to unless there is a lockout.  If there isn't a lockout, Melo is going to opt out next summer.

depends on what his options are...I could certainly see CP and Melo having their own plan to play together in which case we don't know what they'll do...I  mean, what would the new CBA look like? Melo's in line to get 19 mil or something like that in 2011-2012...it's not pocket change...

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 10:18:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

okay so you're saying that he would not return to a healthy form if we traded for him....

I thought we were talking about what adding a relatively healthy CP to this team would mean in terms of match ups...

health is certainly a question mark in a deal for CP3, but in terms of having a healthy CP, I don't think we would have lost to the Cavs of last season.

I thought we were talking about having CP on the team, not an always healthy version. Whatever.

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I thought we were talking about having CP on the team, not an always healthy version. Whatever.

well no player is always a healthy version.....So, would I trade Rondo for an unhealthy CP3? No. But a trade certainly would include a physical...

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Look - to all of those favoring CP3, I will say this much in fairness to you all (and CP3):

It would be VERY interesting to me to see how CP3 would play with Teammates like Ray, Paul, KG, Perk, and now J.O.......VERY interesting, indeed....

In fairness to CP3, he has not had the same level of talent in NOH. Defensively, if he had GoalKeepers like KG, Perk and J.O. watching his back, that alone would make him even better defensively.

Offensively, if he had floor spreaders like Ray, Paul and KG - that, too, would help him.

I'd still keep Rondo at the end of the day, but the X-Factor here is teammates.

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

well no player is always a healthy version.....So, would I trade Rondo for an unhealthy CP3? No. But a trade certainly would include a physical...

You wouldn't trade for an injured CP, but you would trade for an injury prone C if that's the case...

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

You wouldn't trade for an injured CP, but you would trade for an injury prone C if that's the case...

I don't think I'd call him injury prone...The team DRs would have to take look at everything, but if they cleared him, I think it's reasonable to expect that we'd be getting a relatively healthy version of CP3....

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
saw a rumor(probably fake) that danny may offer perkins davis wallace lafayette gaffney and two first round picks for CP3

rondo
paul
pierce
garnett
oneal

ray sixth man

Lol if the Celtics landed CHris Paul without trading Rondo... they then easily flip Rondo for an allstar player at a position of need.   Allstar point guards are extremely valuable in this league.  Find a team that needs a point guard... trade Rondo for their best player.  Done.

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I don't think I'd call him injury prone...The team DRs would have to take look at everything, but if they cleared him, I think it's reasonable to expect that we'd be getting a relatively healthy version of CP3....

Fairly serious injuries in 2 seasons and played poorly in the playoffs due to injury in a third season when he's only played 5?

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2010, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Fairly serious injuries in 2 seasons and played poorly in the playoffs due to injury in a third season when he's only played 5?

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at his injury history, but that's the nature of an aggressive PG in this league and honestly I'd be just as worried about Rondo moving forward as I would CP (if he cleared the medical exams).

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

rondo
paul
pierce
garnett
oneal

ray sixth man

Lol if the Celtics landed CHris Paul without trading Rondo... they then easily flip Rondo for an allstar player at a position of need.   Allstar point guards are extremely valuable in this league.  Find a team that needs a point guard... trade Rondo for their best player.  Done.

Or - trade Paul for the best available player, and keep Rondo.