Author Topic: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)  (Read 17536 times)

Re: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I love when people on this board think Rondo's defense is vastly superior to Paul's when Chris Paul led the league in steals for 2 seasons.  If the Celtics could get Paul for Rondo, you would have to do it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately it sounds like Paul has limited himself to a few teams and plus, the difference in talent isn't big enough for Danny to trade the most popular Celtic

Well, if Danny made decisions based on Internet popularity, our team would be knee-deep in the lousy players from the 2007 losing streak - Gomes, West, et al.

Fortunately, he doesn't.

Quite frankly, the call should be made - to NO and to Paul's agent to gauge interest.

And BTW, there is NO comparison between Larry Bird and Rondo. None whatsoever. Shooting, fellas. Remember the shooting. Bird could. Rondo can't. Case closed.

Remember though, it's a good thing Danny was smart enough to add all those players you hate:  Al Jefferson, Delonte and Gomes.....

Delonte (with a pick) helped land Ray Allen and Big Baby
Jefferson and Gomes helped land KG.

Glad Danny got them onto our team in order to do great things.....

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
the big question for me is if CP would be willing to come here because it sounds like he is in the driver's seat.....

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I would do this trade and I think we would have won last year with CP instead of Rondo. Kobe was virtually playing free safety on defense. As good as he is, he's a bit of a headcase and Paul is simply better when healthy. Add in the combo of cap space during the Melo FA year and their desire to play together, and I have a hard time believing this trade doesn't make us better next year and 3yrs from now, too. Comparing Rondo winning in Boston vs CP3 struggling to win NO is a joke. You think NO is a playoff team with Rondo in that lineup this past year. Dream on. As much as I like him, he's had the luxury of the big 3 for his whole career. Paul is the superior player hands down. Injuries and chemistry the only questions as to why not to do this trade or something similiar.

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 09:02:01 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Something else to consider - If Danny did this trade..would CP3 even stay here? Sure - I bet he'd love to come to Boston and take Rondo's spot.....but how would he feel in 3 yrs now?

I cannot trust him. We know what we have with Rondo, and he's locked up for 5 more yrs.

I'll say this much about CP3: I bet he isn't willing to go through another rebuilding process.

And guess what Boston is faced with in 3-4 years?

Who's to say that he uses us as a "Get out of Jail Free" card, and then bolts? To NY or LA?

To me, a Bird in the hand (sorry Larry ;D) is better than the one in NOH.

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Something else to consider - If Danny did this trade..would CP3 even stay here? Sure - I bet he'd love to come to Boston and take Rondo's spot.....but how would he feel in 3 yrs now?

I cannot trust him. We know what we have with Rondo, and he's locked up for 5 more yrs.

I'll say this much about CP3: I bet he isn't willing to go through another rebuilding process.

Who's to say that he uses us as a "Get out of Jail Free" card, and then bolts? To NY or LA?

You'd probably be able to get top free agents to come play with a point guard like CP3.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with him bolting, but I think the plan would be to try and lure Melo here in 2012....

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So for Winsomme and Bankshot - why couldn't Rondo lure Carmelo here? What advantage would CP3 have over Rondo to lure elite players here?

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
So for Winsomme and Bankshot - why couldn't Rondo lure Carmelo here? What advantage would CP3 have over Rondo to lure elite players here?

I'm going off CPs remarks at Melo's wedding....clearly these two are close and would like to play together....

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

just to reiterate Green, I'm not hell-bent on getting CP3. I just think it's a really interesting topic and idea for Danny....

If we could land a Josh Howard with Sheed's contract and Perk actually is able to get healthy this year, I would still put us up against any team....

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Melo is a free agent next summer unless there is a lockout and he doesn't opt out.  If there is a season in 11-12 Melo will be on a new contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I would do this trade and I think we would have won last year with CP instead of Rondo.

We would have gotten beat by the Cavs. Paul isn't the most durable pg around.

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 09:47:39 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Melo is a free agent next summer unless there is a lockout and he doesn't opt out.  If there is a season in 11-12 Melo will be on a new contract.

Melo can just play out his contract. In which case he's a FA in 2012...

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo's defensive prowess is a little overrated on this board I think, which is understandable..we're a Celtics Forum, not a "objective basketball forum"

But Rondo's at times sub par man defense gets over looked because he's got a defensive POY and a guy who should merit All-Defense 2nd team at center sitting in the paint to clean up his gambles.

I'm not saying CP3 is his equal on defense..I don't think he is. But I do think that CP3 and Rondo in terms of defensive ability are not worlds apart.

Paul's a good defender but if anything Rondo's defense is quite a bit underrated on this board. Any discussion of it will yield terms like mediocre and below average or sub par. If we ever do trade him a large number of people will be shocked to find that, in fact, there is no point guard that keeps their man in front of them all the time.

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I would do this trade and I think we would have won last year with CP instead of Rondo.

We would have gotten beat by the Cavs. Paul isn't the most durable pg around.

Not sure about that Bball, that CLE team was beatable.....Rondo certainly had an incredible series, but could Mo Williams have guarded CP any better than he guarded Rajon?

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
saw a rumor(probably fake) that danny may offer perkins davis wallace lafayette gaffney and two first round picks for CP3

https://twitter.com/MattyDHume

rondo
paul
pierce
garnett
oneal

ray sixth man
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries